Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

seems like a downgrade to me.

*snort* Hey Nefrums, out of curiosity, how close are the CoM/CoL with the wings all that far back?  I know you're using modded parts--are you also using FAR, and that would affect the CoL?

8 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

*snort* Hey Nefrums, out of curiosity, how close are the CoM/CoL with the wings all that far back?  I know you're using modded parts--are you also using FAR, and that would affect the CoL?

When empty is is quite close.  So close that I have been trying to move the CoL further back to gain increased stability.  The Mk4 fuselage parts generate quite a bit of lift and CoM is very far back when empty.  

The size3 vecor is like 70t.  :rolleyes: Not really sure how tweakscale scales it but i think it keeps twr constant.   And as the stock vector is like 5 times more powerful than other size 1 engines, it retains some of that when scaled up,  It has more thrust (and mass) than 4 mammoths.

I don't use FAR. And I try limiting the mods to ones that are reasonably stock balanced.

xFan8Ai.jpg

Edited by Nefrums

The mk4 form factor is nice when building space stations out of the USI Kolonization parts.    The shuttle can comfortably fit the size 3 "Tundra" parts, or even two 2,5m stacks side by side.

I built this station in four launches:

Vee1BSP.jpg

STS5-8 album

Grrr, checking in from work again after the block of flats opposite blew up their transformer, melting it off the side of their building and cutting power to the whole street.  currently running of a generator, and to top that the floor of my bedroom is being taken out tomorrow as it's collapsing into the cavity below the house.  Such is life, but won't be able to check in for a couple of days :(

Much judging on the way once I'm good to go again though :)

SM

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Grrr, checking in from work again after the block of flats opposite blew up their transformer, melting it off the side of their building and cutting power to the whole street.  currently running of a generator, and to top that the floor of my bedroom is being taken out tomorrow as it's collapsing into the cavity below the house.  Such is life, but won't be able to check in for a couple of days :(

Wow...  that sounds really bad.

I have after several attempts managed to land a class D astroid:

2TWPGhr.jpg

STS9 Album

6 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally grab Gilly instead?

:P

98% sure.

I have been trying to improve stability while flying with the asteroid.  To be able to more like "land" and less like "controlled crash".

And I do not want to modify the shuttle to mush. The next plan is to attach a RCS system to the asteroid. :)

Posting this from work, but I'm back in the game people.  Got an evening to myself tonight and will be largely catching up with the challenge.  Booya!

Give me 12 hours or so and I should be almost finished with the review :)

Edit: Oh yes, and @Nefrums, looks like I'm going to be running out of likes.  Oh my word look at that pimpled potato!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Alllllllllllllllllll...lllllllllllllllllllll......lllllllllllrightythen.  I'm ready for the marathon that is catching up with this challenge.  If I miss anyone, or don't allocate the correct badge please let me know:

On 3/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, 53miner53 said:

STS-5-8 complete! The station has a core module, 2 science modules, 1 crew module, and 2 docking modules.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmZDZqS1pVRjBhN0E

I had some trouble with the docking modules being stuck in the cargo bay of the shuttle. I used that as an opportunity to test KAS/KIS and see if I knew how to use them. I then landed that shuttle, so moving the docking port was kinda pointless. One of the docking modules escaped the cargo bay while I was rendezvousing another shuttle, so it was docked with the station and I left the replacement module behind before launch.

I think I'm not going to try STS-9 until I go through some of the missions with a second shuttle I'm designing. You'll see it tomorrow.

Nice work and congratulations on completing the station.  I think it's one of the most rewarding of the challenge sets personally.  Here's a badge for you, and I'm sure I'm about to come across the second shuttle.  gDmEbjw.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 4:23 AM, jonny said:

here is my attempt for the STS 1b mission: http://imgur.com/a/HbK9G

I'm not sure if this will disqualify my attempt of the challenge, but I had to leave the Space Tuck in order to save some fuel. Anyway I still had Jeb to perform the Orbital Activation. If it does disqualify my attempt I will just call the mission a Extended STS -1a.

Hi welcome to the challenge!  It's generally accepted that you can do STS 1 and 1B in the same mission if you want to.  Very interesting design over all, and I particularly like the engine tug.  There's nothing implicitly against doing this in the design criteria, as long as it always lands in one piece, so very clever of you!  Stock entry as those specific mods are fine. Have a badge or two Commander!  sE1QW9Q.jpget2p8E4.jpg

On to the next page.  Give me a few minutes.  I always find it easier just to post, then change pages and if it merges it merges, if it doesn't then fine.  I just hate losing it all.

SM

On 3/11/2017 at 6:45 AM, 53miner53 said:

ve.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmVWEtb190M3pMYXc

Challenger is based off of the Shuttle IIc concept that @Speeding Mullet had made a shuttle for. I designed my own eject system using the size 3 decoupler and some size 3-Mk3 adapters, which also allowed me to add some size 3 fuel tanks. This, along with the use of 4 LV-Ns for the OMS, gives the first version I designed as much delta v as the LR version of Columbia. Columbia is now in the process of redesign until further notice. 

Edit: mod list for Challenger is identical to the mod list for Columbia.

Oh my word that really is an XXXL version of the Shuttle IIc haha!  Have a badge.  I'm still amazed this thing works!  sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 3/12/2017 at 6:50 AM, HiThere!2 said:

I'm doing it soon.

Look forward to seeing your entry!

On 3/12/2017 at 7:28 AM, Numerlor said:

Well finally I have video that follows the rules
Entry for STS-1a,b (cargo in ~9018,9km orbit)

Sorry for that "noise" video but I found that music with waterfall in background

Ah good a tea break while I watch the videos.  The waterfall sound is actually quite nice!  Maaaaan I can't wait until they fix the wibble wobble SAS.  I actually think it was better before when it didn't slow down and overshot the node, but the SAS authority worked well apart from that.  Wibble wobble really breaks immersion for me.

Anyway, interesting shuttle design.  It reminds me of a sea creature for some reason, so I guess it's fitting that you landed it in the sea.  Have a badge!  7RNmgnC.jpg and another :) sdeeGOl.jpg

For your second missions the badges are here:  EynVoXa.jpgVdrbae7.jpg

Well done and great videos!

On 3/13/2017 at 0:11 AM, Alchemist said:

After some fine-tuning and couple minor upgrades, I decided to share HRO-M03 with the mobile base used in the Mun mission.

HRO-M03 shuttle + Rubidium mobile base

Thanks for sharing @Alchemist!  I'm going to have to get on with designing some new missions I think!

On 3/13/2017 at 3:38 AM, sdj64 said:

Completed STS-10 with a small manned base and without ISRU.  Unfortunately had some aerodynamic instability on the way home and couldn't land back at KSC.  It performs very well in the low atmosphere but apparently doesn't have the control authority to reenter well.  I'll be moving the wings back and doing more tests before the next mission.

http://imgur.com/a/1zuLI

Right, let's get serious for a Mun Mission everyone.  I know I see it every time, and I say the same thing every time, but I love this:

ezgSX6T.png

Ahhh its a pity about the water landing, but sometimes these things happen.  Just goes to show how different challenges make you review the design as you move forwards.  Have a badge to keep you busy!  qAhq0Vb.jpg

On 3/13/2017 at 6:29 AM, regkoestoer said:

hello I just finished the STS-1b with the same design I used in my previous post called "Extension Mk.2". All stock parts, Mechjeb installed, and BDarmory installed but not used.

I built the fuel pod myself based on the pic on page 1 and it turned out around 40t (40.90t if I'm not mistaken).

please kindly find the album in this link:

http://imgur.com/a/eichK

Hi again!  Why did you build the fuel pod yourself instead of using the standard issue fuel pod out of interest?  It's not a huge matter as long as it weighs 40t and looks the same to be honest so have a badge for your hard efforts!  et2p8E4.jpg

On 3/15/2017 at 2:03 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

Whew, I *finally* finished the two Duna missions tonight.  I'll see if I can upload all the screencaps tomorrow morning.  I am really liking my current shuttle design--re-entry is really easy to adjust, and landing it is a breeze.  Jeb greased the landing on STS-10a without so much as lighting up the engines, taking a go-around, or even F5ing.

Awesome, I wonder if I am going to get to this shortly.  In all honesty I haven't looked so maybe.  If not then hurry up haha!

On 3/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, SpaceBadger007 said:

So I built this fully reusable mk4 heavy lifting shuttle a while back, does it count for anything?

Part 1:http://imgur.com/a/ROVmo

Part 2:http://imgur.com/a/7lqHy

Part 3 (doesn't have the shuttle but its the last part of the mission so just in case anybody wants to see the whole thing): http://imgur.com/a/Hjb3o

I'm not going to look through all 180-something images, but this absolutely counts for something.  Being MkIv and fully reusable is a pretty amazing feat in itself, let along building something that large (admittedly using tweakscale) for only a couple of hundred parts.  There's a couple of things I can do for you here.  One is say AMAZING!  The other is to give you a badge(r) 8joD5Di.jpg

Thanks for checking in and taking part :)

On 3/16/2017 at 5:00 AM, AeroGav said:

I really need to stop making prototypes and fly some actual missions !   

Yeah but come on, this looks amazing, and is a great concept.  Perhaps focus more on the actual challenge entries for the purposes of this thread, but things like this need to be seen (craft sharing section of the forum most likely).  Great shuttle concept :)

On 3/16/2017 at 10:05 AM, zolotiyeruki said:

Alright, here's my entry for STS-10.  http://imgur.com/a/6Cdm0

Another mission to review???  Travesty!  OK 2 minutes please caller.  You did it and did it well!  I wonder if the Diamond of shuttles has been on to complete the next Duna mission yet.  Time will tell as I review more challenges!  Badge Hoy!  yS7ukxd.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 1:13 PM, zolotiyeruki said:

....and here's STS 10b.  Sure, landing with parachutes would have been easier, but I think this landing method has way better style: http://imgur.com/a/y9Lts

Oh right, literally the next post in line for review haha.  Okie dokie, another two minutes please!  Very nicely done indeed, and those VL engines helped nicely with the ET sep too!  Deploying a fuel pod to the orbital outpost was a nice touch.  Have yet another badge:  rNTkaFS.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, Nefrums said:

So I really liked the look of the mk4 parts,  So I made a mk4 shuttle:

Nicely nice, welcome welcome.  Here are your badges for 1A and 2:  8joD5Di.jpg  P83gnaC.jpg.  I particularly like the clean lines of your shuttle, and the winglets you've added in there.  Also looks like you've managed to Tweakscale the KS-25 to ludicrous level!

On 3/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, xoknight said:

Well i'm back from my over-half-year hiatus. Looks like people are getting stuff done. I'll get on updating stuff if I have time. Really busy recently, broke my toe lol.

HAAAYYYY!  Welcome back @xoknight!  Great to see you around, and thanks for dropping in on the Shuttle Challenge to say hi!  Also supremely busy recently as you may have gathered from some of my posts, but I haven't broken anything (apart form the floor of my bedroom) so therefore sorry to hear about your toe!

There's no reason for you to update anything you have produced for this challenge in the past mate.  I've changed a few things around to free peoples design minds with some great results!  Happy to see a Shuttle if you have time though :)

On 3/18/2017 at 0:06 AM, Avo4Dayz said:

first attempt at building a proper shuttle

Passed the first mission after testing it... however it launches far better when the cargo bay is full.... Need to get that thrust balance better when it flies empty. Hoping it qualifies for the challenge, let me know your thoughts!

http://imgur.com/gallery/2wy6k

Here's an additional gallery on the dev of my shuttle and how I went from trying to build a shuttle that always resulted in a death spiral and ended up with a standardised design with spinoffs. Would using a mix of these count towards using a "core shuttle design for all missions" badge?

http://imgur.com/a/0ksvx

Welcome to the challenge!  Looks like the number of people competing is really reaching a new high at the moment!  Nice shuttle design, and looks stock, so here's your first badge to get you going:  sE1QW9Q.jpg

Regarding your question there is no specific badge for a "core shuttle design", but you can use a different design for each mission if you like.  I hope that answers your question!

On 3/18/2017 at 5:55 AM, Nefrums said:

I'll do some improvements to the shuttle before doing STS4,   It has some heat problems that make reentry harder then it should be.

It was really hard to tell for a second, but then I saw the Navball.  You launched straight into the inclined orbit right?  Here'a a badge, and nice scope :)  MvCxjCK.jpg

On 3/18/2017 at 8:12 AM, 53miner53 said:

ince I had 14 in-game days until the next maneuver for Columbia, and a new shuttle to fly, I would like to present STS-1a and 1b for my first modded shuttle, Discovery.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmR05YTTBOa3ZER28

It adds Infernal Robotics and Shuttle Lifting Body to the list, though Columbia and Challenger will not use those mods.

Edit: I just realized that I probably launched half the leaderboard updates for @Speeding Mullet on STS-1b:P

Yep which I STILL haven't updated.  I may not even get around to it tonight.  I've been reviewing for over an hour so far I think!  Modded badges obviously for this one  8joD5Di.jpg  sdeeGOl.jpg.  OP to be updated soontm

On 3/19/2017 at 11:58 PM, Nefrums said:

While trying to land my improved shuttle I discovered a sight design flaw:

Did you make the belly landing?!

OH MY WORD PHEW!  I'm at the end of *this* page of reviews.  Honestly people it's not a chore, and I'm not complaining, but I got to go make some dinner.  Back soon(ish) for page 11 reviews, and smashing out some "likes"

SM

12 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I'm not going to look through all 180-something images, but this absolutely counts for something.  Being MkIv and fully reusable is a pretty amazing feat in itself, let along building something that large (admittedly using tweakscale) for only a couple of hundred parts.  There's a couple of things I can do for you here.  One is say AMAZING!  The other is to give you a badge(r) 8joD5Di.jpg

Thanks for checking in and taking part :D

Your Awesome!

I create psto (parallel stage to orbit) "Kama-Ls" shuttle for other challenge, but now i thought.. why not get an extra badges here :) ..so its my flight ... 

Parts of ship: unmodded

Flight mod used for this mission: Kerbal Engineer Redux, NavHud, KerbinSide (for map navigation after reenty)... other mods i really not use it

Edited by *MajorTom*

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Regarding your question there is no specific badge for a "core shuttle design", but you can use a different design for each mission if you like.  I hope that answers your question!

Thanks! Good to see you're back again. Well I just meant that since I have made a core design with different config options... though for what we are doing really all i would be interested in is the standard and short variant (short glides better as lift to weight ratio is better) but I can make do with just the one design. (Y)

I do play with mods, but not in challenges. When I built this shuttle I lucked onto a design where weight never shifts from empty to full in both payload or fuel, which is nice. BUT! Some reason I struggle to launch it without a full cargo bay... so the STS-1b will be easy.. I designed it for maximum load...not minimum also haha

Now that I know I qualify, I will progress on with the others.

Edited by Avo4Dayz

5 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

It was really hard to tell for a second, but then I saw the Navball.  You launched straight into the inclined orbit right?  Here'a a badge, and nice scope :)  MvCxjCK.jpg

Yes i did the launch directly into the inclined orbit.

Here is my next entry:

Edited by Nefrums

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Hi welcome to the challenge!  It's generally accepted that you can do STS 1 and 1B in the same mission if you want to.  Very interesting design over all, and I particularly like the engine tug.

Thank you very much. I had a hard time getting the CoM and CoL right in all configurations, but it works fine for STS 1B and STS 2A, which I already uploaded:

However, I will  land the fuel pod with my slightly reworked SpaceTruck v2 this evening. Reentry will be very funny, because I parked it at an orbit even higher than the Mun.

Edit:

I added Kerbal Alarm Clock to my mod-list. 

Edited by jonny

@Speeding Mullet, I think you didn't notice the fuel pod in Challenger's mission: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmbHkxcmNEUFBNS28

edit: I think I forgot to take a picture of the actual deployment, but the picture linked is the final orbit of the fuel pod.

Edit 2: found it! https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmTS1ucU5IUG9SSlk Its very dark, but its there.

edit 3: due to Atlantis having problems with not losing parts of wings during reentry, and Endeavor having its fuel pods (yes, plural, it's a mk 4 shuttle) mounted too close to each other, I don't have a mission today. :(

Edited by 53miner53

Well, i managed to pull off telescope mission on first try even with horrible lanch and my docking capabilities without MechJeb. I also hope music fits this and serious respect to every youtuber that finds proper music for videos

Sorry for the quality I noticed it too late

And STS-4 Here

Well STS-5-8 here also, I'm pretty proud of first landing without nosecone. also if I rember I'll put timestamps in. Additional mod used here: TAC Fuel Balancer

Now comes the hard part

Edited by Numerlor

And here we go: I managed to land the fuel pod:

The delta wings on the engine tug do a very good job adjusting the CoL as you can see below

uM2J0ah.pngOSnNmxM.png

96zWZhk.png

The plan is to keep the main craft as it is and change to the engine tug to fit my needs.

Edited by jonny