KSP real skyboxes 8K

DrLicor

Skybox repository 

A lot of you guys still use the same stock skybox, but not knowing that the replacement of the skybox is one of the most simple things to change, plus; it doesn't slow your game down. :)
Just for the real rookies here; a skybox is the universe you see behind your planets, ships etc. Just think of it like this: you play KSP in a giant cube, and all you are looking at, are the 6 faces of the cube which contain stars, colors etc.. The 6 pictures in the download represent the faces and will replace them. 

The panorama pictures are really showing how your new universe will look like.

I know there are a lot of skyboxes you can download for KSP, but I would like to drop my skybox collection here. 
I'm planning to make this something big, with plenty of skyboxes to choose from. 
You can also make requests, if you know a cool place/spot in the known universe, give me a name and I will try to look it up and make a skybox from it.

I'll begin with this skybox, more are coming this week. This skybox can be quite overwhelming and bright. Other skyboxes while have a bit more darkness of space in it.
Added just 2 a few more :) 
Install:

1. Make sure you have installed Texture Replacer.
  2. Download the images from the link.
  3. Place them in ....\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default
  4. ...
  5. Profit!

1. Orion Nebula
When using this skybox, the solar system will be inside the Orion Nebula section. As long as humans have looked at the sky, they have been aware of the Orion Nebula, it's a celestial feature situated at the south of the Orion's Belt, which is visible with the naked eye. The 'line of stars' on the left is our own milky-way. 

xVKOehl.jpg

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oy52y93590srwzg/AACclWXDsmyMvOjZChX0gs-Xa?dl=0

2. Supernova remnant Puppis A
With this skybox, your solar system will be right inside the remnant of Puppis A. The light of its explosion reached earth approximately 3700 years ago. Puppis A is one of the brightest X-ray sources in the X-ray sky. Its X-ray designation is 2U 0821-42. 
Normally life wouldn't be possible in this kind of environment, but maybe this explains why the kerbals are so tiny.

L5BGJOx.jpg?1

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bh9gwn3n96bzyul/AAD2_bskJToOWOYuLzmSDCala?dl=0

3. Nebula RN 8556-413
Well, nothing fancy to say about this one.. The nebula has a diameter of 26,82 lightyears. It's just a random nebula I've found lost in the massive space. It's also not located in our milkyway, but in the Sombrero Galaxy, located 31 million light years away from Earth. The galaxy has an apparent magnitude of +9.0, making it easily visible with amateur telescopes, and it is considered by some authors to be the brightest galaxy within a radius of 10 megaparsecs of our Milky Way.
This skybox is a bit more calming for your kerbals :) 
A5KMLG8.jpg?1 

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ybwizj6nse0ai45/AAAilVkr-jYFX2mGhtOoukiga?dl=0

4. Sombrero Galaxy
This one is a bit upcloser into the Sombrero Galaxy. The galaxy that is easy visible in the constellation Virgo. It is named after it shape of a Mexican Sombrero. Through it's size of 50.000 light years, it's only 30% of our Milky way. The Sombrero Galaxy was discovered on May 11, 1781 by Pierre Méchain, who described the object in a May 1783. 
E8MayoR.jpg?1

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cy21pg96qvlkdnt/AAD-kre4TVUshLy_3PTs46-aa?dl=0

5. Lagoon Nebula
The Lagoon Nebula is a giant interstellar cloud in the constellation Sagittarius. It is classified as an emission nebula. Your location will be right in it. The Lagoon Nebula is estimated to be between 4,000-6,000 light-years from the Earth. In the sky of Earth, it spans 90' by 40', which translates to an actual dimension of 110 by 50 light years. In the background you can see the milky way.
ylY9I0O.jpg?2

Download Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/upqsp4sr83hpdz6/AABbLvhQDtuazd1y7TmVb2oea?dl=0

For the real skybox seen from earth, I would like to recommend you this mod. I think I'm not going to recreate this, since I don't like stealing someones work.
Unless someone requests it to recreate in a different resolution and or inclination.

Let me know what you think! :) 

This add-on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

9PB9i1E.jpg

Edited by DrLicor

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.