Heritage Challenges [1 available for reboot]

8 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

perhaps make a rule like "a challenge must have atleast 1 page of entries (so bad challenges that have 1 page of everyone asking questions get left out)?

Initially I thought this was a good idea, maybe x pages or x number of replies, but it would open it up too much unfortunately.  I think there's always going to be an element of everyone having to trust my judgement on what qualifies as Heritage.

5 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I would say that we all know "heritage challenges" when we see them. If there are a lot of badges in people's sigs, it's a safe bet that it should be considered for inclusion on this list. If not, then it's not popular enough to be considered. Aside from that, the current criteria seem to be fine.

Perhaps you should freeze the list where it's at for now, and conduct a poll once a month for new entries?

Good feedback thanks!  As above, I think there's always going to be an element of everyone having to trust my judgement on what qualifies as Heritage.  I've done enough challenges (my sig is a very small cross section) so hopefully people trust me to make a good call.  With that in mind I was searching for the PRO SSTO Master thread but couldn't find a recent one.  Is it still kicking around?

I like the idea of a poll once a month, particularly if there are some really good ones up for grabs in the TOTM thread so I'll think about that.  I'm against a freeze as I want to keep this as live and current as possible at all times, and that includes moving challenges into and out of both sections.

SM

Speeding Mullet,

5 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

With that in mind I was searching for the PRO SSTO Master thread but couldn't find a recent one.  Is it still kicking around?

While Pro SSTO was a fun and difficult challenge, I don't believe it ever had the popularity or longevity to be called "heritage".

Here's the most recent thread (which never really got off the ground)

And the original

Best,
-Slashy

23 hours ago, boolybooly said:

Thanks for the plug mate :wink:

I think the idea of a one stop shop for popular challenges is a good idea. Which is why I vote a sticky for this thread ! 

What do you reckon @sal_vager ?

My guiding principle is what makes sense for KSP as a game and to that end I wonder if it would be an idea to incorporate some challenges into KSP via the mission system. I will keep going with the K-Prize challenge thread as long as people are interested but would be only too happy to hang up the tape measure, put my feet up in the Dog and Booster and let the AI take the strain!

What could possibly go wrong...?

It's definitely something to think about :)

A while back I took over the Jool 500 challenge (with permission from @eloquentJane the original poster) for the current version. Should I put that challenge here so it can be added to the list?

I'll take a pass on this one, but thanks very much for highlighting!  I reviewed the old (and new threads) and there's been a lot of discussion which is fantastic, but minimal entries.  Part of the problem which looks to have been discussed is hitting a computer capacity problem.  If this one really takes off in the future I'll happy consider it, but in it's current format I'm afraid it doesn't represent a Heritage Challenge.

14 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Here's the most recent thread (which never really got off the ground)

Ah thanks for digging this out.  Yep not ready for the Heritage section.

12 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

What about the Kerbin aviator circumnavigation challenge?

Oh yeah wow good spot!  At least 4th iteration, thousands of replies over the threads, and huge numbers of entries.  Congratulations @zolotiyeruki you are now running a Heritage challenge :).  OP will be updated shortly!

10 hours ago, sal_vager said:

It's definitely something to think about :)

WOOOT!  Thanks @sal_vager I wasn't really expecting this thread to go anywhere, but it has and has now become a sticky thread!  Fantastic news and thanks for pinning :)

SM

The Affordable Space Program challenge was a featured thread and attracted a wide variety of complex and varied entries. It uniquely required development of ground operations and more complicated docking operations. Since it required multiple launches and landings with the same craft, there was a higher level of effort, so it's not one with hundreds of entries, but what entries were completed were extremely high quality.

This challenge made you actually use a reusable craft (SSTO) for what it was meant to do, and if your landing wasn't accurate, you paid more than just a few funds to return the craft; you actually dealt with getting it back to KSC for refueling and mounting a new payload. 

10 hours ago, gchristopher said:

The Affordable Space Program challenge was a featured thread and attracted a wide variety of complex and varied entries. It uniquely required development of ground operations and more complicated docking operations. Since it required multiple launches and landings with the same craft, there was a higher level of effort, so it's not one with hundreds of entries, but what entries were completed were extremely high quality.

This challenge made you actually use a reusable craft (SSTO) for what it was meant to do, and if your landing wasn't accurate, you paid more than just a few funds to return the craft; you actually dealt with getting it back to KSC for refueling and mounting a new payload. 

Seeing as the Eve Rocks challenge and the Duna Permanent Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge are both now being rebooted, it does leave room for this one potentially.  I'll review the challenge and let you know if I'm going to add it!

Don't let that stop you re-booting it though :)

4 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

it is now active. i have dm ed the OP

Really good to see this thread being used for what I intended of it!  Good on you for re-booting this one.  Looks like we are getting a shiny new badge too!

I will update the OP shortly :)

SM

20 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Seeing as the Eve Rocks challenge and the Duna Permanent Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge are both now being rebooted, it does leave room for this one potentially.  I'll review the challenge and let you know if I'm going to add it!

Don't let that stop you re-booting it though :)

Really good to see this thread being used for what I intended of it!  Good on you for re-booting this one.  Looks like we are getting a shiny new badge too!

I will update the OP shortly :)

SM

I do thank you for creating this CKAN system but with challenges :D 

On 2/16/2017 at 7:22 AM, gchristopher said:

I've decided I'll give this one a miss for the moment, unless I get a barrage of posts saying it's definitely Heritage worthy.  But again definitely don't let that stop anyone from re-booting it!  It may make it in the future!

On 2/16/2017 at 6:02 PM, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

I do thank you for creating this CKAN system but with challenges :D 

Total pleasure!

On 2/18/2017 at 2:23 AM, nascarlaser1 said:

yay it got pinned!

Indeed it did!  Result!  Now I just have to keep it maintained forever :wink:

On 2/18/2017 at 8:25 AM, 53miner53 said:

I'll reboot the community space station. 

Edit: It is up here: 

Nice I'll amend the OP now!  Welcome to Heritage!

SM

15 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

@Scientia1423 and @DMSP already rebooted it once I think, and it promptly evolved into the community space program :P. (not sure if its the same one or not). link is over here :

The project lasted from august 2016 till jan 2017 as people became disinterested with it and I don't like bumping my own threads to keep it alive.

I would like to point out that some of the challenge links are out of order, such as Duna Permanent Mission Outpost is where Community Space Station should be, Stock Payload Fraction Challenge is where Duna Permanent Mission Outpost should be, and Community Space Station is where Stock Payload Fraction Challenge should be.

On 2/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, 53miner53 said:

I would like to point out that some of the challenge links are out of order, such as Duna Permanent Mission Outpost is where Community Space Station should be, Stock Payload Fraction Challenge is where Duna Permanent Mission Outpost should be, and Community Space Station is where Stock Payload Fraction Challenge should be.

Not quite getting you on this.  Everything looks in order to me?

SM

2 hours ago, F3ARSTUNTS said:

How would you reboot something?

Hi @F3ARSTUNTS!  If you spot a challenge that you want to re-boot there's a few steps you will need to follow:

1)  Have a look back through the challenge pages and search function and make sure that no-one has recently re-booted it.

2)  If it's in the Closed Heritage Challenges it's available for reboot (With the exception of the Duna Permanent Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge) and you can "claim it".  I will then adjust the thread to say re-boot in progress, or move it to Open Heritage Challenges as required.

3)  If it's not in this thread then you can still reboot an old challenge, but the right thing to do is to contact the OP of the old challenge and make sure that it's ok to do so.  As a general rule I'd say if the OP last visited the forums between 3-6 months ago or longer it's available for re-boot, but use your best judgement here, or ask on this thread for more information :)

4)  Wish you hadn't rebooted a challenge which is now taking up 60% of your free time to admin :D

Let me know if you need any more information, was there a particular challenge you had in mind?

SM

Finally someone came around with a brilliant idea. Since months I was looking for all those nice challenges from years ago, but couldn't find them due to this forum section being littered with more or less well thought of challenges. So yeah keep up the good work.

On 3/9/2017 at 5:46 PM, something said:

Finally someone came around with a brilliant idea. Since months I was looking for all those nice challenges from years ago, but couldn't find them due to this forum section being littered with more or less well thought of challenges. So yeah keep up the good work

Thanks!  It suddenly came to me as an idea, and it appears to have been well received!

SM

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.