KSP Weekly: A short briefing

SQUAD

On 2/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, SQUAD said:

This week’s edition will be a bit short, since a great deal of the work we’ve done is related to a project you’ll learn about soon.

Sounds like we're about to get something unrelated to KSP the game, a tie-in product or DLC.

19 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

That's yet another mention of bug fixes for the flagpole. Who are these people that spent their KSP time up or around the flagpole, to find all these bugs? And what are they doing there? Questions!

I keep trying to climb it to take a screenshot, but keep falling off.

Only bugs I can find though are the seams in terrain.

5 hours ago, regex said:

Sounds like we're about to get something unrelated to KSP the game, a tie-in product or DLC.

more official mods that will then be added to the stock game any way!! yayay!!

(I'm looking at you, Asteroid day mod)

Edited by nascarlaser1

On 2/10/2017 at 11:00 PM, Hotaru said:

I do notice we're back to hyping up the big super-secret project though. I still think the tease-and-disappoint game isn't the best way to go--even if it's a great feature I suspect a lot of people will be disappointed it wasn't the great feature they were hoping for. Just please make sure it's an actual gameplay feature and not, like, a port for the TI-83 or something.

In fairness, it wasn't mentioned in the last couple of KSP Weeklies and people started accusing them of quietly cancelling it. No win situation, mention it and people are upset by them "hyping" it, don't mention it and they think it's been cancelled.

10 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No win situation

No, it really isn't. Sure, there's no way to make absolutely everybody happy, but some ways of presenting things will make more people happy than others. Case in point: a few weeks ago the KSP Weeklies had hardly any information in them, and there was a lot of hostility in the comments. Now they have a lot more information, and while there are still concerns, on the whole most people (including me!) seem a lot more satisfied.

My personal impression is that people are happier with more information rather than less.

1 minute ago, Hotaru said:

No, it really isn't. Sure, there's no way to make absolutely everybody happy, but some ways of presenting things will make more people happy than others.

When the choice is literally between mentioning and not mentioning, there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Case in point: a few weeks ago the KSP Weeklies had hardly any information in them, and there was a lot of hostility in the comments. Now they have a lot more information, and while there are still concerns, on the whole most people (including me!) seem a lot more satisfied.

That's not analogous. The choice on the unspecified project is "say we're working on it" or "don't say we're working on it'. They get grief either way....so no win.

My personal impression is that people are happier with more information rather than less.

Of course. Unless that information is something they don't care for. See: Localization, and the stream of "localization is a waste of time" kind of posts. Do you think those people would be pleased with more information about the localization process?

55 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

When the choice is literally between mentioning and not mentioning, there's not a lot of wiggle room.

There's plenty of wiggle room, because those aren't the only choices. They could, for instance, tell us what the project is. Or they could tell us what sort of thing the project is. Or tell us some things the project isn't. Or explain that the new project is actually fairly small and we shouldn't expect massive gameplay overhauls. None of those things would please everyone, but any would be better than saying nothing at all. The longer they let people get their hopes up, the more disappointment they'll have to deal with in the end.

My point is, saying it's a "no-win scenario" every time anybody expresses any sort of concern whatsoever is a bit much. Of course there's no way to make absolutely everyone happy all the time--but there are ways to minimize people's disappointment.

Edited by Hotaru

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Of course. Unless that information is something they don't care for. See: Localization, and the stream of "localization is a waste of time" kind of posts. Do you think those people would be pleased with more information about the localization process?

There may be such views, but various people will come here. I guess you are a person who can account for the value of the forum and the multiplicity of players. Bug correction, localization, work progress of the art team is an interesting information for me.

Naturally, the development team has a lot of information, and players have little information. What we can do is whether to cheer, watch the situation, make guesses, or loudly criticize. In fact I guess that the most people continue to play while watching the situation. First of all KSP is interesting.

There may be restaurants where kitchens can be seen from the seats and streets, but not everything is the case. For KSP, KSPWeekly is like an easel and a blackboard at the entrance of the restaurant. There are many other shops on the street, and KSP is not closed. People who are hungry should eat what they want to eat.

23 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I haven't played since November of last year.

As this has caused me to stop playing KSP for three months...

Please. I havn't played a proper contract since 1.1 because Im waiting for wheels and planetary surfaces to be fixed. And THEN I will wait for another round of mod updates.

KSP is so close to being "finished" I can almost taste it...its almost ready...

Almost.

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Please. I havn't played a proper contract since 1.1 because Im waiting for wheels and planetary surfaces to be fixed. And THEN I will wait for another round of mod updates.

KSP is so close to being "finished" I can almost taste it...its almost ready...

Almost.

To be honest, I feel like I haven't played seriously since 1.0.4.  First, I was waiting for Unity,  then wheels,  now terrain.  1.3 might finally be 1.0 ready.  I look forward to it.

They joy of KSP is basically waiting for an update that will allow you to enjoy KSP. (OK,yes, that was even more sarcasm)

But seriously...

• Communications is ALWAYS a two edged sword.  You never can say enough and you never are allow to say too little.  Your community will ALWAYS criticise no matter what you say.  Therefore, buck up, get a spine, stop blaming your targeted community, and try and just be completely open and honest. That is the only way you can maintain integrity - other than not communicating at all, which in that case you will likely have no integrity to maintain.
  • Stop playing a weekly communications "short game" - rather, consider start playing a "long game" with a bit more grand strategy and >>>openness<<< in an attempt to display a more sane comms approach.  A few dev blogs might help where you dig deep into the thinking and various activity threads.  (Your current communications strategy smacks entirely of short term thinking - such is the fate of 'social media driven' comms functions!!!)

Come on Squad - you are paying a communications person - make them earn their keep. Simultaneously, actively feed the communications function with actual information. Talk about your plan. Start recruiting focus groups. report on how your thinking and progress evolves based on community participation. Show examples of how community feedback has helped reframe these plans.  Operate a dialogue vs. a slow drip.

Or...on the other hand you could reinforce your protective bubble and deflect all criticism as just typical community behaviour. (Sorry, that's the current situation from my observations)

Oh and by the way:  The most recent announcement/blog/post (whatever!) that appears on the right of the forum web page STILL remains from @KasperVld saying goodbye.  Is there nothing more recent you can post???

On 2/12/2017 at 2:31 AM, swjr-swis said:

We have all the big words. :D(although Dutch with their why-use-an-entire-sentence-when-we-can-cram-all-meaning-into-one-compound-word strategy could win at scrabble)

What about Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis which is a lung disease caused by breathing ash-and-dust?

5 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Come on Squad - you are paying a communications person - make them earn their keep. Simultaneously, actively feed the communications function with actual information. Talk about your plan. Start recruiting focus groups. report on how your thinking and progress evolves based on community participation. Show examples of how community feedback has helped reframe these plans.  Operate a dialogue vs. a slow drip.

Eh... I mean, at this point even I'm like "whatever, roadmap is way behind us, everything I want in the game is there, basically." KSP is almost a finished, production-quality game, really only needs an art pass, localization, and some additional bug-fixing. Past that, it's a superb modding engine and unless they're going to rewrite career mode from scratch there's really nothing you could add the game that mods don't already do (well, except for the console peasants players, but I digress) or do better.

Yes it would be nice to get some "long shot" features like axial tilt but there's a fat chance of that happening because ~*:playability:*~ or some other such nonsense.

51 minutes ago, Nerfclasher said:

Long time no see 

23 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Woah! Didn't expect to see you here! Hi! :) 

Yeah... haven't felt much reason to hang around recently, really. Just on a whim decided to see how things were going over in KSPland.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like if you want to tease a new feature you should have something to show everyone. A screenshot, a video, even just an extended description, something. Just saying, "Hey, we've got a great new feature coming!" and then keeping it a secret doesn't build excitement. What it does is lead to inevitable disappointment. Because everyone fills in the blank with the new feature that they want to see, rather than the new feature that is being developed. If you really don't have anything to show, and you really think that saying what the feature is before you release it is a bad idea (for whatever reasons), then you should probably just keep your mouths shut.

And, for the record, I don't get excited at all when I think about 1.3, because all I hear is that they're going to deploy a bunch of new features that I don't want, or features that I did want badly implemented, and all the mods that I use will wind up broken for a couple of months.

Edited by Frybert
Please don't reaction image.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.