Hello, from Hewlett!

Hewlett

Hello, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Hewlett and recently I discovered that Kerbal Space Program had a forum (Regardless of owning the game for 3-4 years) and here I am. I took the opportunity to sign up and introduce myself as I would love to get to know everyone here and why they enjoy KSP as much as I do.

Anyways, as I've already said 1-2 times, It's a pleasure to meet you all and I look forward to seeing you on the Mun. 

Also, I'm terrible when it comes to orbiting Kerbin, I can never fully orbit; any tips?

(For those wondering about my avatar, it's the flag of the Italian Social Republic)

Edited by Hewlett

Moar boosters.

Just kidding.

Build a reasonably sized rocket, launch it. (Press T, ALWAYS.) then hit that spacebaaar

Gravity turn by like 5 degrees as soon as you hit like 50 m/s (this is what I do.)

Make sure you keep turning towards the horizon until you no longer need vertical velocity.

Stage as needed, remember to keep throttle at full (if needed)

Generally, I hit about 1,300-1,400 m/s before I have an apoapsis above the atmosphere, wait until you exit the atmosphere, then burn prograde. If you altitude drops, make your rocket point upwards a few degrees (in reference to the ground below you, while still pointing prograde.)

Once you hit around 2,200 m/s (orbital velocity, not surface velocity) your periapsis will be above the ground. Make sure your periapsis and apoapsis are above the ground (and atmosphere) to maintain orbit.

If you can get your ship into orbit, you're halfway to anywhere.

Robert Heinlein, quoted on page 194 of A Step Farther Out by Jerry Pournelle

Hope my suggestion helps you!

Cheers!

- TheKorbinger

Edited by TheKorbinger

4 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Moar boosters.

Just kidding.

Build a reasonably sized rocket, launch it. (Press T, ALWAYS.) then hit that spacebaaar

Gravity turn by like 5 degrees as soon as you hit like 50 m/s (this is what I do.)

Stage as needed, remember to keep throttle at full (if needed)

Generally, I hit about 1,300-1,400 m/s before I have an apoapsis above the atmosphere, wait until you exit the atmosphere, then burn prograde. If you altitude drops, make your rocket point upwards a few degrees (in reference to the ground below you, while still pointing prograde.)

Once you hit around 2,200 m/s (orbital velocity, not surface velocity) your periapsis will be above the ground. Make sure your periapsis and apoapsis are above the ground to maintain orbit.

If you can get your ship into orbit, you're halfway to anywhere.

Robert Heinlein, quoted on page 194 of A Step Farther Out by Jerry Pournelle

Hope my suggestion helps you!

Cheers!

- TheKorbinger

I will take all of this into account and hope for the best with the rocket I am going to build. :)

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Hello, @Hewlett, and welcome aboard!

Just curious, do you know anyone named Packard? :wink:

Jokes aside, I'm glad you're here. If you have any other questions, the Gameplay Help and Tutorials subforum is the place to go.

Too late, my friends already made that joke :P