ISRO attempts to launch 104 satellites in one go.

Nick88

Here is a news report detailing the mission and here's ISRO's twitter account  with more info. The CARTOSAT-2 satellite weighs 714 kg and the remaining 103 satellites together weigh about 664 kg and will be launched aboard PSLV(Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) on FEB 15th, 9:28 am IST(3:58 UTC/GMT). The previous record for most satellites in a single launch is held by Russia with 37 satellites. 

We should start a challenge here if we haven't done so already! Its like a school bus dropping off children at different stops! Lets wait and watch how this goes. 

India is totally on a space high right now. :) ISRO just had it's budget increased by a whopping 23%. They're now planning a second Mars mission (potentially a rover, in cooperation with CNES) as well as a Venus orbiter (cooperation with NASA, who's offering ion drives). (Source)

If this multi-launch succeeds, I wager that they can count on many more such orders from the growing smallsat community, which only gives them even more revenue to work with.

1 minute ago, Firemetal said:

And I missed it by a few minutes. That is the second launch today!! :confused: Maybe they will have a replay. Hopefully...

Fire

Well, at least it was by a few minutes.

Earlier today I was at a practice after school. The Ariane 5 launch was scheduled for 3:40 my time, the practice got over at 4:00. I was planning to play the stream over the main computer in the room, but another student wouldn't give it up. So, at 3:38, I race into another room and ask to borrow one of our school's (terribly slow) chromebooks. I race back to our room, and try and pull the livestream up on our schools abysmally slow internet.

There's nothing more aggravating than missing a launch by 47 seconds on a non-rewindable livestream.

Here is the youtube link of the livestream by Doordarshan. First 25 minutes is like a pre-launch program about history/achievements of ISRO, past PSLV missions, objectives etc. Beware of different accents and some hindi here and there! :D 

Good job ISRO! Way to go!

Edited by Nick88

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And, liftoff! Is it just me, or does their gravity turn seem a bit... extreme?

Like all solid first stages, they have quite a bit of TWR on this one. Especially since this was a nominally underweight payload that just needed extra dV to maneuver in orbit, so they used the XL config of the PSLV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.