Wisp - Long Range Delta Flyer

Cupcake...

CRAFT FILE:

https://goo.gl/0Z5fzA

RECOMMENDED MOD:

Heh all,

It's my great pleasure the Wisp; a long range, delta wing aircraft that'll make a welcome addition to your fleet. :wink:

bbEy1dJ.jpg

At a cruising height of 14,000m the Wisp can stay aloft for over 4.5 hours!

NvEYfmX.jpg

It can do all this while providing extremely agile handling at low altitudes! 

ftKRcVP.jpg

Low stall speeds, combined with generous landing gear clearance make this a good choice for any novice pilots out there. :wink: 

N7qYcQQ.jpg

As with the Vulture/Storm you can also operate this craft from water if needbe. :)

CONTROLS:

1 - Toggle Engines

2 - Toggle Thrust Reversers

PILOT NOTES:

As with all my designs a joystick is highly recommended and the SAS should be left on at all times.

Flying in excess of 600m/s at sea level will eventually cause the engines to overheat and explode!

The craft has very little in the way of reaction wheel toque so you'll need to push air over the control surfaces in order to get decent maneuverability. At speeds below 100m/s the handling can be sluggish for this reason.

I found adding ladders resulted in an unacceptable drag penalty so in order to board/exit your Kerbal fold the landing gear in when the craft is parked up.

The design is often not in a great hurry to slow down which can make landings tricky, liberal use of the thrust reversers will help you reach a safe landing speed.

CRUISE PROFILE 1 (PILOT ASSIST):

Start the engines, set full throttle and pull back hard on the stick, there's no danger of tail strikes with this design.

Climb at an initial angle of 45 degrees and level off at 10,000m. Use pilot assist to hold this altitude as you maximise your speed.

Once this happens you can use Pilot Assist to slowly increase altitude in return for longer flight times.

Control oscillations can occur when using time warp, to avoid this disable the two elevators between the engines.

CRUISE PROFILE 2 (PILOT ASSIST):

Start the engines, set full throttle, takeoff and hold the plane just above sea level.

Build up as much speed as you can then gently lift up to a 10* pitch.

Hold this pitch until you approach 14,000m then slowly level off.

The idea behind this profile is to use the momentum you built up at sea level to help propel the craft to high cruising altitudes.

Enjoy! :D

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

49 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

Awsome as always and i am the first! :D

So you are, and seeing as it's Valentines. :kiss:

30 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I start to sound like a parrot in your threads, but what else can one say? Great looking craft and I will definitely try it in my next session. Thanks again for sharing. I'll report back in a few days.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts as always. :wink:

Cupcake..

• 11 months later...
7 hours ago, Triskilion said:

This is just fantastic! A craft that performs as well as it is beautiful.

Thankyou! :D Although I do need to give it a once over really, there are a few improvements I'd like to make to the design.

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

6 hours ago, Foxster said:

Very nice.

And easy to convert to a stock SSTO if that's your thing...

Xt4eKD7.png

Dayum! Kind of which I'd thought of that now. Great job! :D 

5 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

Very nice, reminds me quite a bit of the old A-12 Avenger II concept that never really made it off the drawing board...

A-12-Avenger-II-Experimental-Stealth-Bom

What a beautiful machine, shame it never came to fruition. :(

Cupcake...

On 2/4/2018 at 11:44 PM, Cupcake... said:

Thankyou! :D Although I do need to give it a once over really, there are a few improvements I'd like to make to the design.

Cupcake...

For now it suits all my needs. If you keep track of your throttle, you can basically fly infinitely. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.