ALIEN SKIES: A 6.4-scale playthrough of GPP/Rald

Year 7, Day 220...

Just a bit of housekeeping, while the engineering team continues to scratch their heads over how to get four people now off the surface of Rald. How are even going get something that massive to the surface in the first place? On the surface, that is, as opposed to under it. Or all over it. Well, as they mull this over, they realized that our maps of the place are extremely lacking, with the focus on the outer and far easier to get to moons. The castaways are secure for the moment, so it's time for some reconnoitering.

A rare half-expendable Mallard D lifts off...

Spoiler

dGwIpK3.png

With an expendable upper stage, it's able to deliver this high-resolution scanning probe directly to a polar Rald orbit.

XzN9BLK.png

RaldScan II will finally complete our map of the planetary biomes, as well as returning altimetry data in unprecedented detail.

uNECdP5.png

It's primary mission now complete, the Mallard US burns the rest of its fuel to return some very basic info on Rald's massive shield volcano...

WzDxBFW.png

Like the fact that the crater floor is over 30km high(!). We certainly won't be landing anything with parachutes there any time soon. However, if some of the scientist's theories about a possible moon of an outer planet are correct, this feature might just be useful.

4dvJXZx.png

And while our focus remains on returning the crew from Rald (to the point that all of our previously active contracts have mysteriously disappeared, hmm), the space program moves on. Here, NOVA Gratian performs a small correction maneuver. It's now on target for an encounter with the distant rocky planet in around 200 days, and the gravitational models of its orbit are looking promising indeed...

M7EU224.png

Meanwhile, back home, the final UpLab crew of Gemchell, Gilfrey, and Leelenna prepare for their return to Gael. Once again, it's radiation chasing them home. And the fact that they'll run out of breathable air in another week or so anyway. The next mission to the UpLab will be strictly one-way. Sort of.

fN2ybo6.png

After the de-orbit burn, Gemchell cuts these two camera loose. With all the fuss about Rald, the crew forgot to install them.

F85Ha2T.png

It's an uneventful return, culminated by the traditional one-flarping-engine-exploding, this time on landing.

7EcBzKa.png

Simulations of a possible Rald return lander are, well, ongoing...

gcZCJQ1.png

We better start loading up another round of snacks...

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

On 9/26/2017 at 12:40 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Simulations of a possible Rald return lander are, well, ongoing...

We better start loading up another round of snacks...

Rald has O2, da?  Then 2-ship mission.  SSTO sent to Rald, glides down with full tanks hopefully within walking distance, returns crew to orbit.  Crew transfers to space-only wessel waiting in orbit, comes home.  Wodka all around,  Ура!

Edited by Geschosskopf

5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Rald has O2, da?

Quite so. But it also has a very thin atmosphere. Sea level pressure is just over half Gael standard, and it drops off fast. That little supply jet I sent needed 4 Junos and could barely stay airborne even with the low gravity. Hmm...

Year 7, Day 232...

So....

Since the crew down on Rald is going to be staying a bit longer, we've decided to make them a little more comfortable. Since living out of a month-old space capsule with no comfort facilities eventually becomes... undesirable.

Another Grey Goose is soon on the way!

Spoiler

leV3mxX.png

And trust me, there's been a lot of that going around here lately...

This launch verifies the ability of the new vehicle deliver a full 25 tonnes to low Rald orbit

muZ0xQd.png

Atmospheric entry is completely nominal. Absolutely nominal. So nominal there is no further evidence of it and it is never to be discussed again, ever. Or I'm telling Triti what happened to the last slice of cake she left in the briefing office fridge, got it?

Ahem, yes, well...

After an absolutely nominal entry, the aeroshell and heat shield are discarded as the main chutes open...

wu86ZOI.png

Shortly after, the hab module detaches...

PGTRUuZ.png

Safely descending on its own chutes...

bMXAOEj.png

Followed shortly by the base power package and greenhouse.

wWgVEia.png

Ironically enough, we're sending our radiated crew their very own fission reactor, and placing that right next to their crop production. I'm sure it'll be fine, there's a big module full of prepared food between it and the greenhouse, that should absorb any stray neutrons.

After a few minor dents and scrapes, the two modules are connected. It's a good thing that hab doesn't need to be airtight anymore, yeesh...

aUFkkim.png

Once again, the engineers insist there's absolutely no problem with this convoluted, failure-prone delivery method. And also, otherwise the crew would be spending the whole time hanging from their harnesses.

And after that...

wetOgqe.png

The empty mobile base takes off on autopilot, having landed a good 320 kilometers off-target. NOT a WORD. The CAKE, remember??

Rald certainly has an excess of boulders. It's a good thing not a single one is solid. Physics are strange here...

b6zLgpC.png

Well, before the blazing, bloated sun that's barely visible through the constant haze anyway has set, the new base arrives at the campsite.

9fjLnSL.png

Jencine immediately gets work hooking it up to transfer supplies, making very sure not to mix up the potable and blackwater lines. We hope.

DGHlMcC.png

Shortly thereafter, the crew realizes they cannot, in fact, fit through that hose. Surprise all around.

They're doing fine, just look at that healthy glow!

nPLkUCs.png

How much radiation did they get again?

Resignedly, the crew accepts they'll actually have to go outside to get to their new Exercycle. 

AZnO7Vt.png

The irony is palpable.

And Triti, of course, takes the driver's seat.

IfcXTkI.png

We did remember to disable the manual controls, right? Right??

And now... to hurry up & wait for all the stuff we forgot to cram into the first two modules. Like water. Which apparently is actually quite scarce on Rald.

Nice Winnebago :wink: 

I suppose if the air is so thin, water will evaporate.  But what, then are the lakes made of?

You know, it's a funny thing, but all the real-life planetary scientists are always going on about important liquid water is for life on a planet.  And in KSP, we have planets with liquid water.  But I don't know of any mods that actually allow obtaining water from oceans.  In fact, if you do a resource scan, the oceans are shown as having zero water.  I wonder why this is.

7 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I suppose if the air is so thin, water will evaporate.  But what, then are the lakes made of?

You know, it's a funny thing, but all the real-life planetary scientists are always going on about important liquid water is for life on a planet.  And in KSP, we have planets with liquid water.  But I don't know of any mods that actually allow obtaining water from oceans.  In fact, if you do a resource scan, the oceans are shown as having zero water.  I wonder why this is.

This, we do not speak of. 

Water. Apparently, really stinky water (more on that later).

Atmospheric pressure at sea level in my Rald setup is 55kPa, so enough to breathe but just barely. They won't be vacationing in the mountains any time soon. :D My resource scan shows there actually is some water, but it's entirely confined within an impact basin that's basically at the antipode of the crash site. Despite this, my water drill is managing to pull up... something...

And yet I did. :wink:

Hmm, what about a RAPIER engine lifter with ISRU to refuel the tanks locally after touchdown, get to LRO and transfer to something with heavier shielding for the trip home?

Year 7, Day 263...

We continue to work diligently to return our marooned crew home... by sending them more hardware that has absolutely nothing to do with actually leaving the planet.

Spoiler

dEcFKxH.png

I really hope no one starts to notice a pattern...

This delivery will include a science lab and large water tank, once gain delivered by the Grey Goose launcher, which has proven nearly tailor made to delivering heavy cargos to low Rald orbit.

shoBOrG.png

This descent actually goes smoothly, thanks in large part to this old ballute we found in the back of a closet from the Tellumo project

nPMqTdp.png

Still can't keep the capsule straight, though. Good thing heating isn't a concern.

Fairing separation while still just above the thick cloud layer.

Fgz3RQG.png

...followed by release of the ballute and backshell...

foFvsv7.png

And finally, chute deployment and discarding the mostly-irrelevant heat shield.

4eLFamY.png

A few minutes later, the lab module is safely on the ground...

PjPANHy.png

...a hundred kilometers away from the landing target.

But, fortunately, our crew is soon to be mobile! Here, Jencine packs up all the precious, slightly squishy science into her pockets Ewwwww, it's all runny! and culls some dead weight from the mobile base.

WFhITib.png

Next, she arms the explosives and runs.

VGrfaTZ.png

Wait, explosives?? Who gave them explosives?! Has someone lost their mind??

Well, can't be helped now. The rove-base quickly skedaddles is that even a word? to a safe distance. Spellcheck agrees, it's a word.

ZTgzZZw.png

And, surprisingly, the uncrewed RaldJet follows suit. Apparently the engineering team found one more task for it.

9BCB3mo.png

The crew hunkers down with hands pressed to their ears...

Which is odd, since they don't have ears.

But anyways, several tense minutes of waiting pass by, as Jencine can't remember what she actually set the timer to, and throw in the yellow-flickering mission clock and it's really anyone's guess when--

YshgiPw.png

BANG!!!

Gah! WHO'S PLAYING GAMES WITH THE PAPER BAGS AGAIN?!?!

Ahem...

Yes, well... 

Eventually, the RaldJet bumps and stumbles back into the thin air...

ICShvOB.png

The science team has sent it out on a long-range series of temperature anomaly scans, which oddly enough there's no record of, and once completed the telemetry feed is mysteriously lost, hmm...

LHRQn5x.png

After a hundred-kilometer schlep in their new, absolutely temporary home, the three reach the lab module. The batteries of which crapped out long ago and it's now immobile.

XmEqHHr.png

Fortunately, the base module regain their independence, and after some awkward bumping around, the facility is reconfigured.

FXkXp8H.png

ou8UGMt.png

And finally, the new RaldBase is fully operational! Scientist Haylotte heads to the lab right away someone told her there was food in there where we promptly lock the door on remote and gently encourage her to start transcribing the surface and material samples into something more transmission friendly. Y'know, just in case the rescue ship doesn't come soon. Which won't happen, of course, everything moving swiftly on this end, won't be long now, no sir.

SEarWHs.png

And thanks to their huge new windows, the crew must also now come to terms with getting a good night's sleep with a bright, full Gael hanging in the sky.

DiYkQ9K.png

Maybe we should have sent them window shades. Or... curtains, or something. Eh, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Coming up next: a thorough and comprehensive review of the Raldean environment!

SCIENTIFICAL LEARNINGS OF PLANET RALD
FOR MAKE BENEFIT GLORIOUS USSARI UNION!

Stop messing around with the title cards, Vlad!

Ahem...

What follows is a comprehensive review of the science data returned so far by Triti, Lodvin, Jencine, and Haylotte during their 101-day, er, tenure, on the surface of Rald.

We have confirmed that life does, in fact exist beyond Gael!

Spoiler

sajpdRl.png

Sort of.
The Raldean lowlands appear to be covered in a homogeneous green mat up to half a meter thick made up of... something. There's no cellular structure, it seems to be a uniform gooey substance made up of primitive proteins, amino acids, and ribonucleics. As far as the crew can tell, nearly all the surface water not in the oceans is bound up in this material. It produces oxygen, presumably through some form of photosynthesis. If it is truly alive, then a large portion of the surface of Rald really a single, enormous, incredibly primitive lifeform. Lodvin says it feels "unfinished," which is an odd way of putting it but not entirely inaccurate. Oh, and as far as Triti's comment that the whole place smells like chest hair and feet, well it turns out that was just Jencine the whole time.
HEY!

Which is also somewhat understandable. Temperatures at high noon can reach a balmy 330k! (That's 134°F, 57°C for any barbarians in the audience. HHHEEEYYY!!!),  so we can forgive Jencine if her hygiene has been a little... lax...
I DO NOT SMELL!

Also, very strangely, it's possible to fly on Rald, beyond simply jumping in the low gravity, by assuming this undignified pose and thinking a happy thought. I think there was something about dust and hypergolic flatulence too, but that page is missing...

vwhEzQb.png

During their travels, the crew has also encountered several of these odd, pale, slug-like objects.

sT6PuES.png

Which they found rather disgusting and so used the magnetometer arm to pour salt on them.

Here, we see the picturesque Kraken Mare, which is most likely devoid of actual krakens. Probably. Hopefully.

Anyways, here is where the sea meets the... homogeneous gooey green mat.

LAST ONE IN'S A ROTTEN EGG!

Jencine, I wouldn't do that if I were--

Just think a happy thought!

ue7aac2.png

Splat.

3qgvtX5.png

Oh, well, she needed a bath anyway...

I DO NOT SMELL!!!

j7i6joI.png

aaaaaand now the oceans smell like chest hair and feet, too.
I DON'T HAVE CHEST HAIR, EITHER!

Meanwhile, in a surely squick-inducing sight to the rest of the crew, Triti and Lodvin have taken to taking long walks along the squishy, sandless beach at sunset...

t9Tax8a.png

Triti?
Yes, Lodvin?
I hate sand.
I hate sand, too!

Someone pass the ranitidine, I just threw up a little in my mouth.

*gag* Er, yes, well, moving on...

This is certainly interesting...

H1gDLJ6.png

...and my warrant further investigation. How much food do they have, again? What if they recycled it? Oh.

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

During their travels, the crew has also encountered several of these odd, pale, slug-like objects.

Which they found rather disgusting and so used the magnetometer arm to pour salt on them.

LOL!  So I guess they haven't gotten very hungry yet :) 

Meanwhile, in a surely squick-inducing sight to the rest of the crew, Triti and Lodvin have taken to taking long walks along the squishy, sandless beach at sunset...

THE HORROR!  THE HORROR!

This is certainly interesting...

"Ancient City" ?!?!?!?!?  Yes, definitely interesting!

On 9/27/2017 at 5:23 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Rald has O2, da?  Then 2-ship mission.  SSTO sent to Rald, glides down with full tanks hopefully within walking distance, returns crew to orbit.  Crew transfers to space-only wessel waiting in orbit, comes home.  Wodka all around,  Ура!

I sure hope this SSTO is well-prepared...........

Spoiler

Heck, even to the point of being a flying hotel.

JL2BLj6.jpg

egzadwt.jpg

On 9/28/2017 at 7:31 AM, Geschosskopf said:

Planet modders generally don't prepare for their planets to be used by gameplay mods like TAC, MKS, Kerbalism and so on, so the configs for these typically don't exist. It's safe to say that this aspect of things is left to the gameplay mod's dev. Even then, the gameplay mods that make use of Water typically don't provide a Water drill/pump, yet they'll provide parts for doing everything under the Sun with Water. :P 

I think only MKS, Karbonite (and just maybe KSPI-E) have one. It's easy to roll your own Water drill/pump by just copying two little modules from Karbonite's own and make some tiny changes to the copy.

On 9/28/2017 at 3:29 PM, PanzerAce said:

We speak of it now. :ph34r: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 10/9/2017 at 12:28 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

I hate sand.
I hate sand, too!

The horror of this scene stuck in my head so much that in the time since I 1st read it, I've been reminded of it by 2 things I've only recently become aware of:  an SWDennis flick and that "Avatar" anime (NOT the ridiculous CGI movie).  Any connection to either?

12 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

The horror of this scene stuck in my head so much that in the time since I 1st read it, I've been reminded of it by 2 things I've only recently become aware of:  an SWDennis flick and that "Avatar" anime (NOT the ridiculous CGI movie).  Any connection to either?

Not that I'm aware of. :) Maybe it's a reference to a certain other brooding, distinctly disturbed, sand-hating fellow. Or maybe it's something else entirely. :wink:

Rald's secrets have only begun to be revealed.

And here I thought it was writing a space program. :rolleyes:

Year 7, Day 309...

While our wayward quartet is busy ruminating over the data they continue to gather, back here the work continues. To bring them home. Eventually. And also, other stuff. But mostly to bring them home. Probably. 

Anyways, here's a new rocket:

Spoiler

WAiy4qu.png

The science flowing back to our coffers (does science even go in a coffer?) has allowed the engineering team to unlock the early secrets of a new kind of propulsion that may one day open up the system to exploration. And also, it's blue and looks nifty.

Here, our first experimental ion-powered probe goes up on an ever-dependable Mallard launcher. Dubbed the Mallard-G, this one also bears yet another attempt to recover the upper stage from BLGO velocities.

Q9ZXPan.png

The probe is light enough that even a standard Mallard can lob it towards Rald, and have enough extra launch mass available for the experimental return. We've replaced the inflatable heatshield with a less draggy, basic ablative one and simply mounted the payload directly to it. I'm sure those bolt holes are harmless.

This revision is also packing update, high-temp ablative airbrakes, lighter, forward-mounted landing gear, and folding grid fins for guidance and stability. After dumping ION-1 just below Rald intercept velocity, the US prepares for recovery.

Zni3KXe.png

. . .

VeYuYZ2.png

It din't work.

How many letters we got left, now?

Meanwhile, ION-1 is performing flawlessly. It turns out that even with our standard nuclear reactor on board, there's not quite enough power for the five electricity-hungry experimental engines. We have to shut one down or operate at reduced throttle so as not to overtax the system.

xlTAcyZ.png

Even so, with an admittedly minuscule payload, this little baby is packing nearly twenty km/s of detla-V.

Here, in high Rald orbit, it meets up with the existing planetary scanner for a photo op. And contract fulfillment.

R7PAcrp.png

ION-1 spends several weeks above Rald, maneuvering into vastly different orbits to fully test out the ion propulsion system. Once complete, there's still a ridiculous amount of fuel on board, so the science team sends it off to Iota to pick up any stray science.

RPzGGKH.png

Back on Gael, the time has finally come to launch the rescue mission to our beleaguered crew!

GI1FJI5.png

This massive Rald return lander is, of course, launching on our biggest lifter.

8rlxLtV.png

It will still mass nearly 50 tonnes once delivered into low Rald orbit by its transfer stage. There's not much room for the crew inside, but fortunately it's a short trip back.

And here we see the secret to a functioning atmospheric lander and return ship, the ROMBUS plug aerospike!

7kRmr3v.png

So it doesn't gimbal, in fact has absolutely no directional control of its own, is ridiculously overpowered for this application, and still maintains a high probability of burning up on return to Gael due to insufficient heat tolerance, but c'mon, just look at that boo-tay!
Wait, what? That's a technical term, right? Some sort of acronym? The science team prepared this monologue, didn't they? I really need to proofread this stuff beforehand.

Now, there's been some who have suggested that a return mission could instead have been mounted with some sort of... space-plane. That said mission would mass only around, oh, say, exactly 15.67 tonnes in LRO, making it deliverable by a much smaller rocket, requiring much, much less testing to get a working flight profile, and also delivering superior cross-range performance, what with the difficult nature of precision entries on the the planet.

These people were soundly beaten with socks filled with butter, then locked in a closet to think about what they've done. 

Because we are Ussaris, after all, and I guess some habits just die hard.

Oh, and also, we're not landing the rescue ship yet. Instead we're sending the castaways more doodads and supplies.
Doodad? Is that another acronym? Who's writing these things?!?

ZFg89t1.png

The Mallard continues to prove itself more than up to the task of delivering light payloads directly to Rald. As long as the upper stage is expendable.

47dN1Kd.png

After another absolutely nominal re-entry, that did not have it plunging into the water again and again due to the funky, irregular coastline this close to an old impact crater, the supply ship ditches its stability and propulsion package, properly on target.

k8BpSBr.png

Chute deployment is good!

MDRiaVe.png

And we soon have a safe, if squishy landing. Another hundred kilometers away from the crew. Good thing they're mobile. Cross-range, indeed!

ESkMkn3.png

The crew sets out just as the daily Gaelclipse races to overtake them. Nothing creepy or ominous about that, no sir.

beknG9N.png

Well, this is a problem.

MIXX3BU.png

Who was driving again? Oh. That explains it. Well, luckily for them, the RaldBase floats. It can't possibly move under its own power like this, but it floats.

We'll figure something out.

The engineering team seems to be brimming with new ideas already.
We've got plenty of butter-filled socks on hand, just in case.

@CatastrophicFailure

(Googles "I hate sand").  "OH GODS!!!!  I had to purge the braincells that remembered those movies.  Now I'll have to do another batch!"  But thankfully, the Ussari goon squad's socks saved me the trouble :wink: 

Who WAS driving when the Raldbase got wet?  Or did they just forget to jiggle the handle?

Year 7, Day 309...

Our intrepid crew's aquatic detour fortunately didn't last long. Immovable object in the form of 27 tonnes of Raldbase met with irresistible force in the shape of one Triti Kerman, so long story short the crew was quickly back on their way and one of the greatest theoretical debates of the ages has been unequivocally settled.
The engineering team keeps looking at each other and "hmm"-ing though. That's starting to concern me.

Spoiler

ytemhHl.png

Hey, come back! Don't you dare leave me out here! Heeeeeeeyyyy! Turn that stupid computer off! Get back here!

It's not much further to the care package we sent ahead. For the first time in weeks, the crew looks forward to some fresh food.

gjItXdG.png

We didn't have the heart to tell them ahead of time that, due to volume and mass constraints, all they're getting is processed and easily pumpable granular mush packed with vitamins and nutrients. But we sent a lot.

MfwaYEs.png

Also, Vlad stumbled upon the capsule during processing and pretty much cleaned out anything that wasn't already liquefied. Including several scientific instruments.

But even more important than their caloric intake is we're relatively sure we want them to keep on breathing. The flight surgeon is convinced that ceasing so would be detrimental to their long term health, and where they're going they don't need roads er, will need supplemental oxygen and nitrogen pressurization. So the supply pod also included several harvesters for just these things.

tjBVzt8.png

Engineer Jencine also takes a few moments to dispose of the superfluous, as their temporary accommodation just seems to be gaining mass at an alarming rate.

Ie7GwBk.png

With the food tanks of the supply pod only half emptied, the crew heads out... and promptly knocks it over.

XKc2g23.png

This gives Jencine an idea. Waste not, want not, & such, and subsisting on flavorless much is far preferable to slowly starving, so she disassembles the pod to bring along it's entire food load.

7zo0Fgc.png

Quick slacking off, Jencine, there's more work to be done.

ECL0n2j.png

Do her eyes look a little... off, to you? Their vitals are still normal, but they've been on Rald a long time now. I wonder if the stress is getting to them.

Nah.

And finally, the little planets first serial litterers continue on their journey.

30XfGGu.png

Someone's going to have to clean that up, eventually. What's Vlad doing now? Oh. Could you maybe sneak up... oh. Nevermind.

The crew presses on to the southwest, heading away from the troublesome sea into higher territory, as tidally locked Gael dips ever closer to the horizon.

5796Mjr.png

Spoiler

Special thanks to @JadeOfMaar for help with exposing Rald's booty.
Er, wait, that doesn't sound right...

27 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

We didn't have the heart to tell them ahead of time that, due to volume and mass constraints, all they're getting is processed and easily pumpable granular mush packed with vitamins and nutrients. But we sent a lot.

If it was good enough for the explorers of the 1500-1600s, it should be good enough for modern explorers :)

But even more important than their caloric intake is we're relatively sure we want them to keep on breathing. The flight surgeon is convinced that ceasing so would be detrimental to their long term health, and where they're going they don't need roads er, will need supplemental oxygen and nitrogen pressurization. So the supply pod also included several harvesters for just these things.

Are Kerbals mouth-breathers or do they absorb vital gases through the skin?  I've always wondered, given they lack noses.  I can't decide, so I usually avoid the question by assuming they don't breathe at all.

And finally, the little planets first serial litterers continue on their journey.

I hope you sent them some more salt.  That's a vital life support requirement and they've been using a lot genociding the slug things :wink: 

21 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

If it was good enough for the explorers of the 1500-1600s, it should be good enough for modern explorers :)

Yeah, but they had alcohol, too. Lots and lots of alcohol. :o Because you couldn’t drink the water. 

29 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Are Kerbals mouth-breathers or do they absorb vital gases through the skin?  I've always wondered, given they lack noses.  I can't decide, so I usually avoid the question by assuming they don't breathe at all.

Good... question. Well, mine complain when they lack oxygen, so they must be doing something with it. They’re green so I suppose they could be some sort of amphibian that does the skin breathing thing. But I’m kinda sold on @KSK‘s whole marsupial theory too. Hmm...

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yeah, but they had alcohol, too. Lots and lots of alcohol. :o Because you couldn’t drink the water. 

Don't the Ussari consider vodka an essential resource?

In the Circus, the old-time sailor "food" is washed down with alcohol on the same old-school sailor level.  Each Kerbal has a ration of 1 gallon of beer and 1 tot of grog per day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.