Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

18 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Post a quote that you think is awesome! 

"There is no material safety data sheet for astatine. If there were, it would just be the word 'NO' scrawled over and over in charred blood." 

-Randall Munroe, What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

Because SDSs are my job, this one irks me.

There is no SDS for astatine because it is the rarest element in the earths crust, and has a half life of 8 hours, so its pretty difficult to sell to anyone. If you aint selling it, you dont need an SDS, you just need a risk assessment for whatever you are doing like any other laboratory/industrial process/procedure.

You could, of course, write the RA in charred blood if you so desired, but I think there might be more red tape associated with writing a professional document in charred blood than there is for working with astatine...

Anyhoo, a quote:

"Surely no child, and few adults, have ever watched a bird in flight without envy."

- Isaac Asimov

Edited by p1t1o

49 minutes ago, 1101 said:

My above quote was obtained on Derek Lowe's "In the pipeline", found here.

Also found there, though not a true quote, just a name:

"Tetrafluorohydrazine"

Just let that sink in....

"N2F4 is an inorganic compound, and should have been named according to the nomenclature rules of inorganic chemistry, "dinitrogen tetrafluoride" in strict analogy to "dinitrogen tetroxide", N2O4. Instead it was named by the nomenclature rules of organic chemistry, as a derivative of hydrazine. This sort of thing was happening all the time, as organic chemists tried to name inorganic compounds, and inorganic chemists made a mess of naming organics!"

-Ignition! An informal history of liquid rocket propellants by John Drury Clark

:P

14 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back those lemons! Demand to talk to life's manager! Get mad! I don't need your damn lemons what am I gonna do with these?!? In gonna hire my beginners to make a combustible lemon and burn life's house down because do you know who I am? I'm gonna burn your house down. With a lemon."

-Cave Johnson 

hi

Another good one from Cave Johnson:

Science isn't about why - it's about why not. Why is so much of our science dangerous? Why not marry safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired! 

Not you, test subject. You're doing fine.

Yes, you. Box. Your stuff. Out the front door. Parking lot. Car. Goodbye.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, XB-70A said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

The one from your signature is better: "You're fired" XD
(Seriuously. That's my favorite signature on this forum. Change it and I'll misuse my moderating powers!)

15 hours ago, munlander1 said:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Adam Savage

Another one I love.

7 minutes ago, monstah said:

The one from your signature is better: "You're fired" XD
(Seriuously. That's my favorite signature on this forum. Change it and I'll misuse my moderating powers!)

"No, n-n-nooooo don't... we swears to serve the one master of the forum. We will swear on the...on the forum!"

tumblr_nis1ifXybG1u84fnpo1_500.gif

More seriously, I used this True Lies gif as a signature in nearly all the forum I went since 2008. Strangely with someone transported by a Sidewinder missile, launched by a Harrier hovering, going true a destroyed building to hit another craft... it's so KSP!

4 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clark

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

-Some source I'm too lazy to look up right now

"Be polite, Be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty.  When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and it will be your fault, and everyone will know about it"

I don't know where I first heard/read it though.

"For every action there is equal and opposite criticism", seen on an sign at an antiques dealer.

"The only thing that's impossible is impossibility!"

-Someone I can't remember 

"Eat your heart out, thermodynamics!" 

-What someone will say if a working perpetual motion machine is invented 

"It's like the laws of physics just went out the window!"

"And why shouldn't they? They're so inconvenient!"

-A crew member and Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

Just so there's no confusion here... that is from back in a day when being a 'liberal' meant exactly the opposite it does today.

And on a lighter note:

"He's dead, Jim." - Leonard McCoy

Edited by LordFerret
Wiki link added

• 2 weeks later...

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- Red Green

"I can resist anything but temptation."- Oscar Wilde

"Hey look buddy. I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?, " because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. "- Dell Conagher (The Engineer)