Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today.
David Beatty at the battle of Jutland then two of his battlecruisers blew up one after the other. 

I was revisiting the ship in this tread. No it did not blew up, but came close and its something bloody wrong with it, worse its kind of random. So going back to KSC and return might fix most of it. 

• 2 months later...

"Aah, the sweet couple of seconds before I remember why I'm sleeping on the lawn..." -- H. Simpson. (unrecalled episode)

"Build a man a fire and you warm him for a day, set fire to him and he'll be warm for the.rest of his life." -- Terry Pratchett (Jingo; Discworld Series)

Wait that might not've been Doofenshmirtz.

EDIT: I can't find mention of the quote anywhere online, but I'm about 99% sure I saw it in a Phineas & Ferb episode. If it turns out I actually made that up then I'll just take credit for it.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Becoming is greater than being." - Carol Dueck

That is to say, the journey and the seeking is more interesting and better for oneself, than being somewhere or knowing something, and just having that affirmed to yourself.

"A ruler, so long as they keep their subjects united and loyal, should not mind exercising occasional cruelty; because with a few examples they will be more merciful than those who, through too much mercy, allow disorders to arise." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Note that Machiavelli was writing the book The Prince in what you could say, an ironic fashion, so you shouldn't take his advice literally. the takeaway is basically 'use common sense if you're in a position of power.' A slightly different quotation within the same paragraph is usually what's badly misquoted as 'it is better to be feared than loved'.

Edited by starcaptain

“Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.” -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." – C.S. Lewis

• 2 weeks later...