Best Quotes Ever

KAL 9000

"Some people can come away from War and Peace and consider it just another adventure novel. Others can read the ingredients on the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe." Parzival, Ready Player One (may I mention that it's the BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST movie of all time)

3 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

"Some people can come away from War and Peace and consider it just another adventure novel. Others can read the ingredients on the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe." Parzival, Ready Player One (may I mention that it's the BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST movie of all time)

Good movie, good book. Loved all the pop culture references...

On 8/9/2022 at 2:16 PM, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

"How many Kerbals make an adequate crush space for this lander?" - martincitopants

Best quote, period.

Another one: "a game where ethics, morality, and the safety of your subjects take a back seat to science, exploration, and getting that BREAD."

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into Space Shuttle hot aborts (pad aborts), and came across this gem:

From the flight engineer’s seat, Steve Hawley injected a spark of humor into the proceedings. “Gee,” he said, in his thick Kansan drawl, “I thought we’d be a lot higher at MECO!”

From this article: http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/spaceflight/launch/shuttle-launch-pad-aborts/#:~:text=Close-up view of Discovery's,(Credits%3A NASA).

Edited by StrandedonEarth

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloak themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.Waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness"-Jean-Luke Picard Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4 Episode 21 The Drumhead 

same episode but earlier:

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard quoting Judge Aaron Satie.

3 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

"Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who cloak themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.Waiting for the right climate in which to flourish, spreading fear in the name of righteousness"-Jean-Luke Picard Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4 Episode 21 The Drumhead 

same episode but earlier:

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard quoting Judge Aaron Satie.

I've got a good mustache related follow-up for this... hehehe

Book: "Yes, I'd forgotten you're moonlighting as a criminal mastermind now. Got your next heist planned?"
Simon:  "No. But I'm thinking about growing a big black mustache. I'm a traditionalist."

-Firefly "War Stories"

"There's a tribe living down by a river, and in the river there are crocodiles. The tribe has one particular piece of wisdom passed down through the generations. It goes like this: if you happen to meet a crocodile, don't stick your head in its mouth. Every now and then, and who knows the reason, people ignore this advice, which is sad, because they die. But very stupid because they were warned. They had a choice. The moral of this story is this: You can't afford to be stupid. There are crocodiles."

--Lynda Day; Press Gang. (A Piece of Life Wisdom I've never forgotten.)

Id like to add on to my prior entry. A few more quotes from Star Trek the Next Generation, Season 4 Episode 21 The Drumhead

"We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. And then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again." 

<see my prior entry for the villains portion>

"Maybe. But she or someone like her will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish – spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mr. Worf. That is the price we have to continually pay."

- Picard and Worf, discussing both the investigations and the misguidedness of Admiral Satie

<my prior entry, the portion about villains is from the middle of this exchange, snipped out because redundancy lol>