RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, insert_name said:

if we removed the faring could we fit this into another rocket, and could that rocket get to orbit?

Probably, however it would have to be light enough and have a tall enough fairing.

Fire

Also, if I understand time zones correctly, then it should be launching in about three minutes (although they probably found another reason to postpone it). Also, there's been some weirdness going on with the NOTAMS according to the subreddit. Apparently there is now one for (mostly) every day for the next week or so. So, it may have been postponed.

EDIT: Window is either 0:30 or 1:00, not 0:00 as I had thought. Carry on! Launch is either in half an hour or an hour!

EDIT2: According to Reddit, there was a hold called. Reason unknown.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

13 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Congratulations!

I'm pleasantly surprized, but I'm also puzzled by lack of any info on their website.

Maybe they're still putting it together for release? Tweet of the launch:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
Oh for flarp's sake...

Dieselpunk rockets now have been pressed by electropunk one. Jules Verne accepts.

Strange that Tesla wasn't the first one. Electricity-schmelectricity, lithium accums, all that.

Next stop:

Spoiler

remote-electronic-ignition-fire-pit-inse

("electronic ignition gadget")

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm going to go downstairs right now and name one of my model rockets "Neutron" just to make you all happy

Make a smaller clone and name it "Neutrino".

Edited by kerbiloid

Rocket is spinning and the plume is visibly off-centre;  the engines must have been gimballing hard-over the entire time. Either there was an extra force on the rocket they couldn't compensate for (leak, aerodynamic problem) or the guidance system had an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if guidance was a problem, especially on the upper stage. SpaceX also lost a Falcon 1 to that particular problem. And though the video is heavily distorted, the stage separation there looked to be very unstable and induced a lot of unintended pitch that had to be compensated after the fact.

Here's hoping that their data downlink was morestable than the video one, so that they at least know what happened!

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Spin...orbits....there's another joke in here somewhere......

Does anyone know how certain they are of its current location?

I imagine that "in the ocean" is a pretty safe bet.

Just now, Steel said:

I imagine that "in the ocean" is a pretty safe bet.

Figures. Since we know the velocity is probably very close to zero, it will be impossible to pin down the location of the electron precisely.

2 hours ago, WildLynx said:

Someone forgot to press "t".

It's spinning from the start (big rockets only do roll maneuver once and then hold roll), and looks like, even spiraling.

That spinning looks too regular, a stuck gimbal or some such should have made it spin faster & faster. Spin stabilized, per chance?

Has there been an official word on the result? The latest tweet from RL says they're "delighted" with the results, but it seems they didn't make orbit. 

44 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That spinning looks too regular, a stuck gimbal or some such should have made it spin faster & faster. Spin stabilized, per chance?

Has there been an official word on the result? The latest tweet from RL says they're "delighted" with the results, but it seems they didn't make orbit. 

Do you ever spin something who is also controlled? Know of spin stabilized solid fueled first stages, they however have non to little control, don't think its done on liquid fuel ones. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

And silence.

Well, since no one else has updated...

RocketLabs' Twitter is quite active. Picking the relevant bits out, they're currently pouring over the excellent data they received. The rocket did not make orbit, something happened with the upper stage after fairing separation. No word yet as to what, but they're hoping for another test flight in a few months, possibly with a real payload. 

And also, they're hiring. :D

On 5/25/2017 at 11:53 AM, magnemoe said:

Do you ever spin something who is also controlled? Know of spin stabilized solid fueled first stages, they however have non to little control, don't think its done on liquid fuel ones. 

Everything I've seen thus far indicates that the first stage flight was spot-on, and "no one" seems the least bit concerned about the spinning, so maybe it is intentional. *shrugs*

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Everything I've seen thus far indicates that the first stage flight was spot-on, and "no one" seems the least bit concerned about the spinning, so maybe it is intentional. *shrugs*

It's definitely not intentional, it's not mentioned in the PUG. The stage clearly had more control issues than just the spin too; again, just take a close look at the plume in the vids.

Learning about a problem beforehand doesn't necessarily mean avoiding it. :P 

"Propellant sloshing was a problem before the Apollo program. You'd think SpaceX would have learned from it."

Chances are, they did. And promptly underestimated the magnitude. It's not out of the realm of the possible that Rocket Lab made the same underestimation, especially since their tanks are literally bleeding edge tech - the most advanced part of the Electron rocket. Even electric turbines aren't new, they were just never used because they were impractical. But flying full carbon composite cryogenic tanks, that's their claim to development fame.