RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

Wondering if the hold-down had any effect... The engine nozzle did went glowing red and there were clearly fuel flowing out but it looked weird.

Edited by YNM

Scott Manley speculates about a problem with the vectoring.

Is it possible to buy Rocketlab Stock yet? If yes it propably tanked, so there may be a good oportunity to invest now.

13 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Is it possible to buy Rocketlab Stock yet? If yes it propably tanked, so there may be a good oportunity to invest now.

While Neutron seems like a decent idea, I'm honestly not sure what the best bet is right now.

A smarter play (and for all we know they are doing this) might be to wait and be ready to be a "fast follower" should Starship actually work. I would think any of the commercial launch companies must be doing this, though of course the money required would be non-trivial (particularly for companies that have yet to actually land anything).

6 hours ago, tater said:
6 hours ago, Elthy said:

While Neutron seems like a decent idea, I'm honestly not sure what the best bet is right now.

A smarter play (and for all we know they are doing this) might be to wait and be ready to be a "fast follower" should Starship actually work. I would think any of the commercial launch companies must be doing this, though of course the money required would be non-trivial (particularly for companies that have yet to actually land anything).

Rocketlab has a stock offering through one of its investors, Vector Acquisition Corp, trading as $VACQ. Unfortunately the launch took place after the markets closed so we can't buy until Monday. I set a buy order for early Monday AM but we'll see where it is then. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wow, those are smaller than I expected.

They look TINY (like, beer-bottle-sized) in all the diagrams, so I always assumed they were significantly bigger, like at least the size of a 5 gallon bucket. These are more like large wine bottles.

They are really tiny, especially when you consider that a lot of the times when we see a rocket engine, it stands taller than a person. Or in the case of an F1, could actually be classified as a small apartment.

The first time I got a reason sense of scale for the Rutherford was with this picture: duKAkUGnHLgg2s2vRsiWxU-970-80.jpg.webp

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That electro-pump certainly simplifies things...

The whole rocket looks so tiny, probably because it is. Has it been included in any rocket lineups (comparisons) yet?

The fact that they use the same 9+1 configuration as the Falcon 9 probably contributes. Most teensy rockets use numerous stages with a single engine or a two-engine cluster at most on the first stage. Electron (and now Relativity with its Terran 1) are bucking that tradition with clusters. 

I like how all those teeny tiny engines somehow get a decent building-height stick up for some 100 kg to orbit.

This is like, exactly what I did all the time launching all the probes I made in KSP XD

On 6/11/2021 at 12:53 PM, sevenperforce said:

Electron (and now Relativity with its Terran 1) are bucking that tradition with clusters. 

Wondering if the economies of scale help things if you make more engine units...

Edited by YNM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Silavite said:

This sort of thing is why I'm glad I'm in a union.

I remember one time a senior manager saying something like he didn't understand why any engineer would want to have some of our salary raise pool guaranteed instead of all of it being for performance, because we should all be confident in our abilities and want to compete for that extra money. My response back to him was "that only works if you trust management to a) know who the peak performers really are, and b) reward them fairly."