RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

Yeah, I like RocketLab, but kinda of a bad look.

I saw a recent list of glassdoor reviews that put RocketLab sorta high compared to BO (likely related to that Berger post), too.

Edited by tater

13 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Wow, that's a very bleak outlook and it sounds like I wouldn't want to work there.

I guess its an US and NZ workplace culture clash. 
Also startup company weirdness, trust me I worked for lots of weird companies during the IT bubble. 
And these kind of stuff is not uncommon in IT, way less so in aerospace I think. 

20 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

This sort of thing is why I'm glad I'm in a union.

I remember one time a senior manager saying something like he didn't understand why any engineer would want to have some of our salary raise pool guaranteed instead of all of it being for performance, because we should all be confident in our abilities and want to compete for that extra money. My response back to him was "that only works if you trust management to a) know who the peak performers really are, and b) reward them fairly."

This, now in sales or other places there performance is easy to measure and is not seriously affected by other factors it works. 
How do you measure it for engineering? Do you want them to use guesstimates to reach this months performance goals ending in you having to do recalls and rebuild your production line 3 months later? This is why smart management do not want this, you cover why the engineers don't want it. 

I work for big engineering company. The bonus scheme was scrapped and replaced with a consistent salary supplement.

Basically, management didn't know who was performing so the entire department was getting bonuses based on overall group performance, something we had no direct control over.

We much prefer this method.

Edited by RCgothic

My experience is that even with good management, engineers get assigned good tasks when they did well on the last good task. And that means when the next good task comes along, they get that again. Etc. So engineers get tagged as high performers or low performers in part based on just which things management assigned them to do.

And with bad management, managers can steer all sorts of stuff to their favorites.

It's just not ideal for really measuring any kind of objective performance metrics.

• 4 weeks later...
I asked Beck for hints, who said "we’re so sick of people copying us" but added that Neutron should look like a rocket from 2050, not the 2020s.

Huh? Aren't they the same company that is reviving mid-air catches (a strategy that dates back to to the 1950s)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-air_retrieval

Edited by mikegarrison

56 minutes ago, tater said:

Wonder what a rocket from 2050 s supposed to look like if it also cannot look like F9 or SS/SH? maybe also something from the 50s? Von Braun winged rocket?

A-4/V2 on steroids. Or a Tintin rocket. Which is largely the same aside from size and fins. 

1 minute ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If it doesn't float on lasers... I am dissapoint 

Pulse fusion fired by ground-based lasers?

7 hours ago, tater said:

Wonder what a rocket from 2050 s supposed to look like if it also cannot look like F9 or SS/SH? maybe also something from the 50s? Von Braun winged rocket?

Like the current Neutron, but with a "made in 2054" sticker on the side

On 8/25/2021 at 11:49 PM, tater said:

Spoiler

space.jpg

• 2 weeks later...