RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

6 hours ago, Scotius said:

I took a bit of a look, but frankly - that stream was a bit boring to watch. Of course boring = good, because nothing bad happened. :)

I thought the host chatter and 'while we wait' video segments were well done.  Certainly better than BO or ESA.

That said, I do like being able to skip around with an 'after the event' video.  New things like SS I want to watch live - so I can either witness history or see something go boom. ;D 

But even the 'routine' launches are interesting.  Seeing stage separation and the second stage engine black body emissions are fun. 

28 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But even the 'routine' launches are interesting.  Seeing stage separation and the second stage engine black body emissions are fun. 

Agreed, shame that sometimes they have to cut on the cameras on Electron to save on weight. They're fantastic when they have enough margin

• 2 weeks later...

My thought exactly. Smallsat launch was always a very limited market. If Rocket Lab—capable right now of supporting weekly launches—can't drum up more than 1/month of business, the others have no chance.

Peter beck did a zoom call at the small sat conference, some highlights were that electron can only do 150kg to leo on paper but was able to get 320kg on the CAPSTONE launch, also lunar photon is still operating and he said "we’ll have a crack at doing something cool with it and see how far into the solar system we can get with it.”

https://spacenews.com/beck-capstone-demonstrates-feasibility-of-low-cost-interplanetary-smallsats/

Interestingly he wanted to walk back the implication that the market for Electron services just isn't there... At the cost of putting the blame on 'unready' customers. 

Then goes to say Electron serves a niche market... And the implications are that everyone* wants to get into constellations - thus Neutron. 

*potential small launch service customers have shifted focus 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...