RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

7 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Mixture ratio control isn’t necessarily something that’s exclusive to electric or double-shaft pumps - the RD-180, a similar single shaft ORSC engine to the one proposed here, features some degree of mixture ratio control despite that, and I don’t think they were doing any variable gearing nonsense.

Did a little digging on that, and yes, you're correct. Looks like they use a single shaft and simply use a variable mixture ratio valve to adjust the amount of fuel entering the injectors, accepting the pressure differential. 

7364809x_orig.jpg

Still, I feel like this may be easier for the RD-180 due to LOX and RP1 having more similar densities in comparison to LOX and CH4.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone remind me again why they're trying this rather than a propulsive landing ala SX & BO?  I mean, at this point it's been proven that human's have the ability to do this... you'd think imitation would be that most sincere form of flattery and profit making.

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Someone remind me again why they're trying this rather than a propulsive landing ala SX & BO?  I mean, at this point it's been proven that human's have the ability to do this... you'd think imitation would be that most sincere form of flattery and profit making.

With a rocket this small, the propellant margin required to propulsively land would absolutely destroy the payload to LEO capability.

Having such a small rocket enables the helicopter catch method, too - you certainly wouldn't be able to do this with a Falcon 9-sized first stage.

46 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

With a rocket this small, the propellant margin required to propulsively land would absolutely destroy the payload to LEO capability.

Having such a small rocket enables the helicopter catch method, too - you certainly wouldn't be able to do this with a Falcon 9-sized first stage.

I kind of suspected that; thanks for the clarification!

Neutron (IIRC the name correctly) is the larger next-rocket they're working on, and it should be a propulsive lander?

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Perfect.

Except that I'm in Indiana this weekend.

Crap.

They scrubbed!

If they go tomorrow and it's clear I might be able to see it at ~T+90 seconds—flying to NYC tomorrow morning, train to CT... though I will likely be on Metro North at 6 (and if not I'll be waiting on a train at the bar at GCS). I'll sit on the right side of the train if possible.

• 1 month later...