RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

7 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Mixture ratio control isn’t necessarily something that’s exclusive to electric or double-shaft pumps - the RD-180, a similar single shaft ORSC engine to the one proposed here, features some degree of mixture ratio control despite that, and I don’t think they were doing any variable gearing nonsense.

Did a little digging on that, and yes, you're correct. Looks like they use a single shaft and simply use a variable mixture ratio valve to adjust the amount of fuel entering the injectors, accepting the pressure differential. 

7364809x_orig.jpg

Still, I feel like this may be easier for the RD-180 due to LOX and RP1 having more similar densities in comparison to LOX and CH4.

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Someone remind me again why they're trying this rather than a propulsive landing ala SX & BO?  I mean, at this point it's been proven that human's have the ability to do this... you'd think imitation would be that most sincere form of flattery and profit making.

With a rocket this small, the propellant margin required to propulsively land would absolutely destroy the payload to LEO capability.

Having such a small rocket enables the helicopter catch method, too - you certainly wouldn't be able to do this with a Falcon 9-sized first stage.

46 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

With a rocket this small, the propellant margin required to propulsively land would absolutely destroy the payload to LEO capability.

Having such a small rocket enables the helicopter catch method, too - you certainly wouldn't be able to do this with a Falcon 9-sized first stage.

I kind of suspected that; thanks for the clarification!

Neutron (IIRC the name correctly) is the larger next-rocket they're working on, and it should be a propulsive lander?

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Perfect.

Except that I'm in Indiana this weekend.

Crap.

They scrubbed!

If they go tomorrow and it's clear I might be able to see it at ~T+90 seconds—flying to NYC tomorrow morning, train to CT... though I will likely be on Metro North at 6 (and if not I'll be waiting on a train at the bar at GCS). I'll sit on the right side of the train if possible.

• 1 month later...