RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

Kick stage separated. I mean I kinda wish that the kick stage have cameras on it, but I suppose a camera is simply too heavy at the mass scales of the kick stage...

Edited by YNM

2 minutes ago, YNM said:

Kick stage separated. I mean I kinda wish that the kick stage have cameras on it, but I suppose a camera is simply too heavy at the mass scales of the kick stage...

I mean, how much more could a space-rated camera weigh? Compact cameras I’ve owned weighed less than .25 kilos. My suspicion is that it’s a telemetry bandwith bottleneck where they don’t want to waste their connection on video when other data might be more useful.

27 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I mean, how much more could a space-rated camera weigh? Compact cameras I’ve owned weighed less than .25 kilos. My suspicion is that it’s a telemetry bandwith bottleneck where they don’t want to waste their connection on video when other data might be more useful.

And I suppose the kick stage doesn't necessarily fire immediately after the 2nd stage either, so they'd have to somehow make the camera lasts through that, or make a way for the camera to be turned on after. True that they may be using GoPros etc. though, as the 360 cam from the inside looks really close to the footage of 360 GoPros.

Sadly RocketLab hasn't made public the mass ratios and ISP of the kick stage.

Plus any camera on the 2nd stage upward is not going to be recovered, so that's some extra hardware and money spent. GoPros are pretty expensive... at least to me.

Edited by YNM

If you’re superstitious, that’s probably a bad omen for the recovery operations. Thankfully I don’t think Rocket Lab is. And yes, I hope to hear everyone's fine over there.

EDIT: Ok, the news site updated. Looked like there was only the pilot in the helicopter, and they "sustained moderate injuries," which hopefully means they'll live. But I guess that turns out to be kind of OT.

Edited by RyanRising

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A mid sized Neutron vehicle... interesting. They have at least been launching things, and can be a fast follower of SpaceX if they play their cards right. The smallsat market is overfull of startups, and I honestly think it's a very short term, dead end market.

I wonder if they'll be able to make a medium launch vehicle with the appropriate amount of quirky Rocket Lab charm. You lose some of it from not having electric pumps on your engines or being able to strap the rocket to the top of your car for a camping trip, so they'll have to make it up in other areas.

I'm sure they'd command interest even in an oversaturated smallsat market on account of their successes, but I can't blame them for wanting to diversify, seeing the wave of optimistic smallsat launchers trying to swim. Everyone and their mother seems to want a piece of that market, likely because a small rocket is easier to pitch than a large one. Kinda feels like this:

Clean-slate medium launch vehicle, about the size of an Antares (fairly larger diameter though)... Would they start to stretch it ? Put extra stuff on the side ? A curse of 12 Electrons + 1 Neutron ?

8-ton capsule gross weight sounds fairly lightweight, so I assume only private missions for 'tourism'.

Edited by YNM

21 minutes ago, YNM said:

8-ton capsule gross weight sounds fairly lightweight, so I assume only private missions for 'tourism'.

Why? Soyuz spacecraft weighs 7.2 tons, and I’ve never heard anyone calling it lightweight. And it was designed as a Moon ship with autonomous flight duration of ~18 days. So, with an 8-ton spacecraft you can do all kinds of missions in LEO, to ISS and other stations, and even assemble a Moon ship by docking with a transfer stage and possibly a lander.