RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

• 3 weeks later...

Let's hope it works, and let's also hope they can get another rocket on the pad by mid-March, and let's further hope that NASA allows Moon Express to skip ahead of them in the manifest.

Because as it stands right now, they're the last remaining team that looks like it still has a somewhat realistic shot at actually attempting the Google Lunar X-Prize. In contrast to all other teams, their launch has already been paid for, and I've not read anything anywhere that their spacecraft has been delayed. So I have to assume that they're just waiting on Rocket Lab at this point.

Of course, realistically, it's not going to happen... but wouldn't it be cool? :P 

Yes, because it's basically a form of startup help. NASA likes to help new unproven things along a bit if they think that it's a good investment. They basically said: "Oh, you have a new smallsat launcher that shows promise? Here, have this armload of cubesats from our ELaNa program (education nanosatellite stuff). Then you have at least one customer, and that will let you build trust and attract others."

Turns out, although NASA was the first to sign on, others soon followed even without the need to see a successful flight first. Planet and Spire even agreed to put stuff on their upcoming test flight. But I'm sure Rocket Lab doesn't mind the extra money anyway.

Mind you, I just checked the wikipedia page for the Electron rocket, and the manifest there shows both NASA and Moon Express for Q1/2018... with Moon Express being first. Maybe NASA already did let them skip forward. I'm all for it :)

Interesting. I’m trying not to get too excited about Moon Express before it actually exists, but they’re the only entrant that seems to have a real business plan beyond winning the prize. Whether clients really turn up after is speculation, but the idea that they can get something to the surface of the moon on a rocket that small is incredible on its own. :D

They almost look like Christmas bells wrapped up like that.

I wonder how much money I'd owe Rocket Lab if I decided to ring one...

Anyways, best of luck to Rocket Lab, and to orbital launch providers around the world. Hopefully we're in for a new age of (relatively) cheap space access.