RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Wow... $80 grand for a one-unit cubesat... that’s actually in crazy-dedicated hobbyist territory. :o

Note to self: buy Lotto ticket tonight. 

Well, yes... but...

I'll just leave this here... http://spaceflight.com/schedule-pricing/

(NVM THE PRICES ARE IN THOUSANDS I CAN'T READ)

The market I think they're actually going for here would be smaller dedicated launches that need to launch at a certain time- like individual satellites for constellations (Outerspace apparently has a few of these booked) or some Moon Express-y thing.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Right, but if they ever do launch once a week, just from the economy of scale that would come way down. 

All rocket launches are bespoke. Sure, a team making 50 bespoke suits a month can probably sell them cheaper than a team making 5 bespoke suits a month, but the reductions are fractional.

Economies of scale can only take you so far. Beyond that, you need reuse. Or you need a ridiculously cheap, ridiculously powerful expendable rocket (like Orbital ATK, but without the RL-10s) that can service a wide range of payloads and profiles without alteration.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, how quickly people forget the early SpaceX launches, which sat, scrubbed and delayed often for weeks on end... :P 

This is the first regular flight. They're going to quintuple-check everything. And probably run several rehearsals.

Edited by Streetwind

8 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I have a book about the history of White Sands, almost dictionary size. It's a fun read, although a taxing one.

kind of off-topic though.