RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

I was looking at RocketLab's website, and I am curious as to whether this is an error....

Rutherford is used as both a first stage and as a second stage engine, with sea level versions on Electron’s first stage producing 24 kN (5,500 lbf) of thrust and has a specific impulse of 311 s (3.05 km/s), while the vacuum optimized version operating on Electron’s second stage produces a max thrust of 24 kN (5,500 lbf) of thrust and has a specific impulse of 343 s (3.36 km/s).

That's got to be a typo. The syntax of the sentence suggests that it's intended to be a different number. If the mass flow of the two engines is the same, which only makes sense, then the second stage should produce a max thrust of 26.5 kN.

6 hours ago, 55delta said:

Nice one.

I think it'll be a sad day when Rocket Lab gets so successful that people start expecting their launches to be given more serious names.

Oh, I don't think that's going to happen. I think the funny names aren't going anywhere, no matter how big they get- it's kind of Rocket Lab tradition now.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

will this one be the 1st they try to recover or this is the "block 2" with the new sensor and everything ready but they won't recover it?

I've heard that they aren't going to try to recover this one, just see if it can survive reentry.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

It's going to take a while to build an entire rocket if they are only getting a single electron every few months.

Yeah but they’re really big electrons. -_-

1 hour ago, tater said:

OP hasn't visited the site in over a year.

Ooooh, maybe it’s time for one of those arcane thread sacrifices @Dman979 mentioned... :o

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The question is, what reason do you have to not stay up til 2 am?

I need to work on college applications, Scholarship applications, SAT subject test studying, and in general preparation for an incredibly uncertain and scary future, with a major deadline in two days, which I am not in the least prepared for.

My dad really wants me to spend a lot of tomorrow on it.

Which of course means I'm going to leave it to the last minute because I don't want to or know how to confront the harsh realities of adult life.

Or you know I could stay up and watch a rocket launch and then zombie walk up to bed.