RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/rocket-lab-targets-venus-for-2023-life-searching-mission

Although I don't think there's life in the clouds of Venus, this still gives me the "yeets"!

I'll be over the Mun if there's really life there despite the low odds, and even if there's no life, we'll probably find something interesting there.

Let's face it, Venus has been ignored for long enough.

Rocket Lab's comeback mission will lift off on Wednesday night (Aug. 26), if all goes according to plan.

Rocket Lab, the global leader in dedicated small satellite launch, hasn't flown since July 4, when its two-stage Electron rocket suffered an anomaly shortly after launch, ending a string of 11 straight successful missions.

By the end of July, Rocket Lab had traced the problem to a single faulty electrical connection in the Electron's upper stage. Company representatives stressed at the time that the booster would be up and running again soon, and that optimism has now been borne out.

An Electron is scheduled to lift off from Rocket Lab's New Zealand launch site during a two-week window that opens Wednesday at 11:05 p.m. EDT (0305 GMT on Thursday, Aug. 27), company representatives announced via Twitter on Friday (Aug. 21)

Edited by brown.alex

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

“Electron Heavy was just an April Fool’s joke.”

Personally I’m betting on Starship Lite...

Initially I thought it was gonna be something small, like Photon updates, or selling a kick stage to other launch providers, or an update on reusability or something like that, but because they titled the stream "The Next Chapter" I'm inclined to believe that its something bigger.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a launch vehicle (electron heavy, starship lite (more likely than EH IMO) or otherwise), could be them building space related hardware for non LV applications (some participation in Artemis?) or something related to their planned Venus mission. Could also be something I'm not thinking of.

I'm 99.9% sure this isn't it, but theoretically (300kg payload) you could launch a decently sized human (80kg), spacesuit (100kg?) and MOOSE (90kg) with 30kg left over for structure, supplies, etc. and perform very basic orbital human spaceflight. This would not be safe by any definition of the word (no LES, very minimal capsule) but it would be possible. However, due to the lack of safety and use case, I'm almost certainly sure this isn't it.

Of the above options, though, a new launch vehicle sounds at least relatively likely as far as "The Next Chapter" goes. Unless they are still counting reusability as "The Next Chapter," which is possible because they haven't done it yet.

Photon as more than a bus, basically. Presumably a customer can design all the "not spacecraft" bits, and Photon does that stuff (power, comms, attitude control, propulsion) for them.

Not super exciting, but useful for Rocket Lab, as F9 rideshare crushes them on cost, and bespoke orbits are useful, but less required when rideshare is so cheap it's cheaper to add props to your sat and do that.

• 2 weeks later...