RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If they don't launch tonight I won't be able to watch it unless it gets delayed 3 more weeks! I wonder how many recycles Electron is designed to go through.

By the sounds of it, that’s what it’s gonna be. They still had a week left in this window, no idea when the next is. 

7 minutes ago, KG3 said:

If a rocket is on the launch pad fueled for flight but the launch gets delayed, do they need to remove the fuel to fix the problem?  How do they do that?  

Usually they remove the fuel, its pretty simple, they probably have a valve in there and a special hose. It's not like they can leave LOX in there very long anyway. Plus there's the short static fires, so they have to be able to do it for that.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:28 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Usually they remove the fuel, its pretty simple, they probably have a valve in there and a special hose. It's not like they can leave LOX in there very long anyway. Plus there's the short static fires, so they have to be able to do it for that.

I assume they have and that its put on during preparation. 
Smaller tanks like upper stages they probably fill from bottom anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, cubinator said:

They'd better pick someplace that isn't constantly windy.

If you want a lot of open ocean to the East (or South), nearly all locations are going to be windy.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:23 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Given all the tweeting today, apparently Scotland is the new hot market for launch sites. :D

taken with a gain o’ salt, laddie...

They'll be able to reduce launch costs by just having a Scotsman chuck the rocket into orbit like a caber.

Scotland would be an interesting choice, but I do wonder if the weather would give reliable enough launch windows.

On 7/17/2018 at 5:23 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Given all the tweeting today, apparently Scotland is the new hot market for launch sites. :D

taken with a gain o’ salt, laddie...

That would be polar launches obviously.