RocketLab Discussion Thread

Kryten

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I wonder if the use the flight batteries for static fire tests, or if they get replaced after because the high load ruins them.
...Or maybe they plug it into an outlet for the test? :D 

If they aren't loudly crowing about reuse, I'd assume single use rockets.  Single use batteries can be made somewhat lighter than rechargeable ones, so I'd expect they can't be recharged (not to mention an expected highly abusive load).
- note: This was the "received wisdom" before LiFePO4 batteries came out.  These newer batteries likely output more power than the old single use Li-ion single use champs and I have no idea if there is any reason to build a single use LiFePObattery.

Edited by wumpus

12 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I wonder if the use the flight batteries for static fire tests, or if they get replaced after because the high load ruins them.

...Or maybe they plug it into an outlet for the test? :D 

I'm trying to imagine the cable required for a 1 MW load at relatively low DC voltage (a few hundred V, I guess).

Anyway, we're talking industrial sized power outlets and then you'd need to convert it to DC.

Uh, I've spent a good 15 minutes trying to find an industrial scale electrical device that could gobble up 1 MW, no luck.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

I'm trying to imagine the cable required for a 1 MW load at relatively low DC voltage (a few hundred V, I guess).

Anyway, we're talking industrial sized power outlets and then you'd need to convert it to DC.

Uh, I've spent a good 15 minutes trying to find an industrial scale electrical device that could gobble up 1 MW, no luck.

Always fun when one of my dumb jokes ends up nerd sniping someone :P

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Brain fart, I guess. Diesel electric locos routinely exceed 2 MW... Still, it's not a trivial task to handle those powers.

2 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Brain fart, I guess. Diesel electric locos routinely exceed 2 MW... Still, it's not a trivial task to handle those powers.

It (1MW) is also about (slightly less than) 2 top of the line Tesla-S cars (1MW=1341h half that is 670hp) put together.  A V2 had 3MW turbines*.  It is very, very, hard to beat a turbine when you need a specific amount of power delivered from a compact size (and they are remarkably efficient, at least at high power levels), but at least the output shaft is a turbine.
* this is from one of my previous posts.  I don't know where it came from originally, but probably a poorly source web page.

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

C'mon, guys, "couple of months??" We're rapidly running out of 2017 at that rate!

Do you think the Xprize deadline will be extended again? It's looking like none of the teams are getting off the pad this year.

If I recall correctly, the PSLV teams got delayed, the F9 team couldn't afford a launch, one team switched to a 2019 ULA launch (or this might be separate from the Xprize) and Electron may not be ready in time.

31 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Do you think the Xprize deadline will be extended again? It's looking like none of the teams are getting off the pad this year.

If I recall correctly, the PSLV teams got delayed, the F9 team couldn't afford a launch, one team switched to a 2019 ULA launch (or this might be separate from the Xprize) and Electron may not be ready in time.

Good question, have any links? Pretty unlikely the Electron is gonna be moon-worthy in time. But I thought the F9 team already had a launch contract?

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

Good question, have any links? Pretty unlikely the Electron is gonna be moon-worthy in time. But I thought the F9 team already had a launch contract?

No, unfortunately I don't have any links, I could dig through reddit, but those posts were several months ago, I probably wouldn't be able to find them easily (plus it's 11:30 here and I should probably be getting to bed).

I read somewhere recently that the deadline was extended to March 2018. I’ll try to find a link.

EDIT: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16152292/google-lunar-x-prize-competition-private-moon-landing-prizes

Seems like there’s only a completion deadline now, not a launch deadline.

Edited by TheEpicSquared

On 26/09/2017 at 9:22 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

I read somewhere recently that the deadline was extended to March 2018. I’ll try to find a link.

EDIT: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16152292/google-lunar-x-prize-competition-private-moon-landing-prizes

Seems like there’s only a completion deadline now, not a launch deadline.

angry_pepe.jpg

Ok lets be patient

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

More info Here.

Confirming that this time the launch will be livestreamed. :cool:

Lets hope Murray the cable guy doesn’t børk this one up, too. :P

So we have Falcon Heavy and Electron in December? Cool!

• 2 weeks later...