The Moho Challenge

Xeldrak

• 6 months later...
47 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Your welcome.

I have another submission I could turn in for more points, I also have an science one that'll be done soon. Will update

Edited by JacobJHC

• 6 months later...

I've reached the Mohole

screenshot74.png

screenshot73.png

What is done so far:

+10 points: Reach Moho SOI with a manned craft
+40 points: Land your craft of the surface of Moho

+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Moho SOI (not cummulative)
+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Surface of Moho (not cummulative)
+30 points: Collect science from two different biomes
+20 points: Explore the Mohole (use your own discretion on what accounts for "explore")

+10 points: Leave behind a science station (need probe core, energy, sciency thing and antenna). 

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

What's your view on the use of mechjeb for maneuver planning? I can do video to prove I'm not using mechjeb for the execution of maneuvers, but for planning and DV-design, etc.

I'm expecting that would place me in the modded group, since I'll be using all sorts of other mods anyway. That's no issue for me, I proudly mod my KSP, but I really like the maneuver node editor which allows me to make far more precise transfers without having to do all the hard work of calculating and stuff (which is just busywork in my view, considering the highly imprecise method unmodded KSP uses) and I don't want to install yet another mod just for this purpose.

Like the idea of the mission, though! If I'm not disqualified for using mechjeb to make maneuver nodes, I'll sure give it a try!

• 1 month later...

Challenge Completed:   Single launch, stock only, v1.3, no mods.

Album is here:  https://imgur.com/a/NGIpg1P

Craft file is here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc3ozrc8lfg6pbw/Moho Mission.craft?dl=0

+30 points just for reaching the Moho SOI.  = Yes
+10 points: Reach Moho SOI with a manned craft = Yes
+40 points: Land your craft of the surface of Moho= Yes
+10 points (x3): For each landed Kerbal (capped at 30 points) = Yes, 3 kerbals
+40 points: Return (i.e. land or spash down. If a few parts rip of, it's fine. But not just crashing) at least a part of your vessel to the surface of Kerbin = Yes, main craft in Kerbin orbit re-usable
+10 points (x3): For each Kerbal returned to Kerbin from the surface of Moho (capped at 30 points) = Yes, 3 kerbals
+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Moho SOI (not cummulative)= Yes
+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Surface of Moho (not cummulative)= Yes
+10 points: Return some kind of science from the Moho SOI to Kerbin and retrieve it. (not cummulative)= Yes
+10 points: Return some kind of science from the Moho surface to Kerbin and retrieve it (not cummulative)= Yes
+20 points: Return a surface sample from Moho and retrieve it.= Yes
+30 points: Collect science from two different biomes= Yes, craft was capable of hopping to, and collecting science from, every biome on Moho
+20 points: Explore the Mohole (use your own discretion on what accounts for "explore")= Yes, dropped probe in (it crashed about 2km down)
+5 points: Plant a Flag at Moho = Yes.  
+10 points: Leave behind a science station (need probe core, energy, sciency thing and antenna). = Yes

TOTAL = 305

Challenge complete, under 50 tons 3 Kerbals landed and returned.

https://imgur.com/a/bkB7kjL for full album

Edit: imgur is glitchy today,  some pics out of order or got eaten sorry

First off, thanks for the fun mission.  It's simple enough that it let me add my own restrictions and make it fun.  I decided that even though you don't have a low mass award, I would see if I could make it in under 50 tons.  Turns out yes, and turns out I WAY over-budgeted for dV.  I had around 7k dV remaining when I finished the mission, it's possible that if I was feeling patient I could have done the entire mission a second time.  However, after enduring a number of long burns, I wasn't patient.

After a Vector liftoff stage got me out of the atmo, I used a single NERVA to make orbit, and also to make the transfer burn to Moho.  Then I burned back into Kerbin SOI with the drop pod to wait for the return. 

Most manouvers were in deep space to maximize ion efficiency, so we made Moho polar orbit without too much trouble, then landed in Highlands.  Back up to meet my science probe with spare fuel, then back down to the Mohole.  A rough landing cost a solar panel, but Bill was able to plant a flag at the edge.  He also fell in and I had to quickload.  Back to orbit, refuel, and left the probe with science and antenna in orbit, and burned back to Kerbin.  Met up with the NERVA powered drop pod, docked, and brought the whole thing down to the surface of Kerbin, mission complete!

Mission parameters:
+10 points: Reach Moho SOI with a manned craft 10
+40 points: Land your craft of the surface of Moho 40
+10 points: For each landed Kerbal (capped at 30 points) 30
+40 points: Return (i.e. land or spash down. If a few parts rip of, it's fine. But not just crashing) at least a part of your vessel to the surface of Kerbin 40
+10 points: For each Kerbal returned to Kerbin from the surface of Moho (capped at 30 points) 30

Science:
+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Moho SOI (not cummulative) 10
+10 points: Transmit some kind of science from the Surface of Moho (not cummulative) 10
+10 points: Return some kind of science from the Moho SOI to Kerbin and retrieve it. (not cummulative) 10
+10 points: Return some kind of science from the Moho surface to Kerbin and retrieve it (not cummulative) 10
+20 points: Return a surface sample from Moho and retrieve it. 20
+30 points: Collect science from two different biomes 30
+20 points: Explore the Mohole (use your own discretion on what accounts for "explore") 20

Misc:
+5 points: Plant a Flag at Moho 5
+10 points: Leave behind a science station (need probe core, energy, sciency thing and antenna). 10

Total Score I think is the theoretical max 275 points, did the points structure change? I did literally everything possible but i see different numbers above...

Edited by Jetski

• 3 years later...

@Xeldrak

Not sure if this challenge is still active, but I completed it as part of the Kerpollo Challenge.  The mission thread:

According to the first post in this challenge, I think I've accumulated the following points:

• Reach Moho SOI (30 points)
  • Reach Moho SOI with a manned craft (10 points)
  • Land your craft of the surface of Moho (40 points)
  • 1 Kerbal on the surface (10 points)
  • Return at least a part of your vessel to the surface of Kerbin (40 points)
  • 1 Kerbals returned (20 points)
  • Return some kind of science from the Moho SOI to Kerbin and retrieve it (10 points)
  • Return some kind of science from the surface of Moho to Kerbin and retrieve it (10 points)
  • Return a surface sample from Moho and retrieve it (20 points)
  • Plant a Flag at Moho (5 points)

That's a total of 195 points gained from this one flight for this challenge.  I even made a badge that I hope works!  125x125?

jTsNUhU.png

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

some sort of point bonus based on minimizing the size

It is not likely that the thread-starter is still adjudicating points after nearly five years (and they also started the very popular "what did you do to day in KSP" thread must get a flood of response notifications there)
but the rest of us reading will still appreciate seeing a minimized craft.

I'm thinking Mojo being so close to the sun might be enough motivation to be patient and use ion engines.

59 minutes ago, OHara said:

I'm thinking Mojo being so close to the sun might be enough motivation to be patient and use ion engines.

While I think ion (electric/Dawn) engines might be the way to go for missions to Mun and Minmus, as well as for powering rovers on celestial bodies, the burn time needed to transfer to anywhere beyond Kerbin's SOI might just be too long to be effective.  Now, that isn't to say you can't do it.  In fact, YMMV, and if you've got an idea I say go for it.  I'm just putting out there that it may not be very efficient to do so.  But hey, I've been wrong about so much in this game that I'm willing to admit that I might wrong here once again!

8 hours ago, OHara said:

the rest of us reading will still appreciate seeing a minimized craft.

Well several hours of play later, I have craft that is 99 tonnes in low Kerbin orbit, so...evidently I didn't go minimal after all.

I just wrapped this up in a...smol...vehicle.

screenshot0.png

37.6 tonnes is more than that accursed Moho SSTO above, but I told myself I was going to do this WITHOUT gravity assists, so...

screenshot10.png

Dropping my landing gear because, contrary to expectations, this is NOT an SSTO.

screenshot42.png

Can your SSTO do this? I mean, I suppose it could, but it would not be by design.

screenshot122.png

TWR on the way in was.....really, really bad.

screenshot148.png

At least Jeb had a landspeeder to play with.

screenshot248.png

The return vehicle was spartan. Very spartan.

screenshot373.png

Also, toasty.

screenshot396.png

1/10, do not recommend.

screenshot399.png

Welll......some parts of the vehicle made it back!

Anyway I got all possible points, other than the Mohole exploration. Gotta leave that to someone else.

Edited by sevenperforce

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.