Where to start figuring out Commnet problem

I have a craft 101Gm meters from Kerbol with two communotron 88-88's on it.  It will be a bit further from Kerbin, but less than 10% (see image below).  According the calculator I downloaded it, with a level three tracking station, it should have signal out to 165 Gm.  But I get "no signal".  

Where do I start figuring out what is wrong?5J9enKg.png

It might help if you can post a screenshot of your ship - that might reveal what this issue is.  It does sound odd.   A maxed out tracking station should have a range of 250Gm.  That with ONE 88-88 ought to be enough to cover you, let alone two.  

Are you being routed through a relay or are you going direct to Kerbin?  If you have some weaker relay in the middle, that would explain it.

Probably dumb question - are you sure your 88-88s are deployed?  

My game is at Moderate, and I'm wondering if the single RA-100 is going to reach back to Kerbin myself ... it's about halfway there and down to 4%.  Oh well, I set maneuver nodes so can execute them even without contact and fix things later if need be.

Here is a screen shot of the craft.  It is a small lander with a ion engine to get it out there...

oaropTU.png

14 hours ago, bewing said:

Have you deployed both 88-88 antennas?

And are your difficulty settings at normal? ie. is your Range Modifier set to something other than 1?

Deployed both.

Difficulty is "Custom", I think because it was a pre- 1.2 game which I turned Commnet on for.  The Range modifier is 1.

14 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

Are you being routed through a relay or are you going direct to Kerbin?  If you have some weaker relay in the middle, that would explain it.

Probably dumb question - are you sure your 88-88s are deployed?  

I don't have any relays that would help here.  So I'm tring to get a direct connection to Kerbin.  I'm not any signal to nothing.

Edited by davidpsummers

OK, I just tried to duplicate your situation, and mostly failed. When my sat with 2 88-88 antennas is behind the Sun from Kerbin, I get no signal. As soon as I'm not occluded, I get 41% signal.

I see that your orbit is inclined 4 degrees. I also don't see any planets in the way. So the worst occlusion you could possibly have would either be the Mun or Minmus -- which should only last a short time.

Other than that, it's got to be one of your mods that's screwing it up. So remove them, one at a time, and see.

Removed all mods.  Fortunately, the one I was looking at wasn't one of the ones that didn't load.  It didn't change anything.

I noticed that another ship, about ~65 Gm out, has a signal, but a tiny one when it should have a good one?

I guess I'll try a reinstall.  If that doesn't work, submit a bug report?

mlOR9oI.pngT9yuSZN.png

Turns out I was wrong in the last one.  It is was a mod issue (sort of).  Thanks for everyone's help.

Part of what I was going for is one's approach to finding problems.  I guess it is mostly..

1) Verify your attenas.

2) Calculate the signal you should be getting.

3) Look for occlusion (are occlusions listed, like for the solar panels)?

4) Worry about more rare situations.

Edited by davidpsummers

I'd say the approach more depends on whether you are running a modded game or not. If it's modded, the first thing you try is to fire up a vanilla copy of the game and use SetOrbit and any other trick to put a faked up test ship in the same situation -- and verify whether it has the same problem or not. Because having mods cause problems is extremely common -- far more common than any other kind of error.

But, along with that, you check the stuff that's easy to check. Which is the antennas, and the calculation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.