Making a rocket to beat all other rockets

alpha tech

Ok I have been looking at another side project: Building a CubeSat

also I am currently finding materials to build my furnace and find my cans for the solid rockets.

also building a parachute. material, strings, packing, wadding, pyrotechnics.

7 hours ago, alpha tech said:

Ok I have been looking at another side project: Building a CubeSat

This one should be considerably easier, as there is less possibility of any danger. Also there are more open technology to use and more experts to get help from. Much more peaceful, too.

What about starting with Phonesat? It's proven to work with some additional devices. AFAIK NASA also supports this one. I think if you are decent with programming and know a bit of engineering, it will be possible to design one. (Maybe)

Yeah you'd be better off using composites to make the shell of the rocket. That will pose much less of a shrapnel risk if something goes wrong.

I would suggest Polyurethane resin like this: https://www.amazon.com/Model-Pro-Resin-Gallon-Kit-Polyurethane/dp/B007271IQY

And fibreglass cloth like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Cloth-Yards-Reinforcement-E-Glass/dp/B00R2OWQEK/ref=sr_1_13?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1487955878&sr=1-13&keywords=fibreglass+cloth

This will probably end up being both lighter and stronger than something using aluminium. And quite possibly cheaper, too. Working with aluminium is going to play havoc with your electricity bill!

15 minutes ago, peadar1987 said:

This will probably end up being both lighter and stronger than something using aluminium. And quite possibly cheaper, too. Working with aluminium is going to play havoc with your electricity bill!

Only if designed intelligently and manufactured well. It's a huge misconception that composites are always better than metals. Badly thought through designs or flaws in manufacturing can lead to heavier and weaker finished products. On top of this, someone inexperienced in producing composites is likely to produce pretty inconsistent results with little way of knowing which pieces what is strong and which are not.

Making cubesats... Fine I think ? Unless you want that to go on your dream rocket... Then most of the people here will see that as a massive PITA. Even if not, you need to launch them on something else. Also, you need a purpose for it's existence - if possible, something commercial ?

On 2/25/2017 at 0:11 AM, peadar1987 said:

Using layers of duct tapes to make strong structural components isn't an easy job.

Estes sells rocket materials. All you need to do is cut it to your specifications. But, as we all know a pretty rocket don't always fly. You have to worry about the center of mass and center of pressure. Your rocket may spin out of control if not built correctly. Or it could turn around and hit you.  Or it could hit your car. Or your house. Or start a fire.  Here is a link I found when I was looking for some stuff about rocketry: http://www.ohio4h.org/sites/ohio4h/files/imce/Designing Your Own Model Rocket.pdf

Edited by munlander1

6 hours ago, YNM said:

Using layers of duct tapes to make strong structural components isn't an easy job.

Not easy, but you can do a decent job without huge amounts of experience. I do a lot of work with fibreglass boats, so I've done broadly similar things myself.

And it lessens the shrapnel risk of using metal, which is probably the best reason for doing it.

38 minutes ago, peadar1987 said:

Not easy, but you can do a decent job without huge amounts of experience. 

Or you could just buy the materials. One of the reasons why I am pushing this so hard is because if the rocket fails the problem is with the manufacturing or design.  The material may have caused it to fail, but it is much less likely.

40 minutes ago, peadar1987 said:

And it lessens the shrapnel risk of using metal, which is probably the best reason for doing it.

Well, using metal is illegal without a license.

http://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

And if the op messes up big (big legal stuff happens) are we liable?

This is a tutorial about not what to do:

What did he do wrong?

1. He consumed alcohol while doing this. You don't need your judgement impaired. This is already dangous enough.

2. I don't think they had a license for a motor that size

3.They built a high power rocket. I don't think they got a license for that.

4. More paperwork! They did not get a launch permit for this. (All of the paperwork stuff is assuming they live in the U.S. The paperwork does apply to you though.)

5. They cooked it. It is safer to work with it as a powder.

6.They used a thin pot.

7.They did not calculate the nozzle size they would need.

8. A stick is not a rocket 

9. They did not calculate the com for the stick.

10. They did not determine the cop for the stick.

11. No recovery system

12. They launched it

13. They thought it was a good idea

Here is another: 

Spoiler

What did he use wrong?

1.Paperwork no license for motor, launch, or rocket

2. Used metal

3.Used a stick

4. Did not calculate com or cop

5. Launched it

6.Did not calculate nozzle size

7.Thought it was a good idea

I do say, I like how they grinnded the mix separately. Supposedly the heat from the friction is enough to cause ignition. (Total did not plan on rhyming)

Edited by munlander1

Just now, alpha tech said:

the fire brick

For launches? You can buy a launch stand for that.

3 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

oh by the way i got some safty equipment yesterday

For small model rockets you don't need anything. Testing and manufacturing stuff is when you need some safety equipment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.