Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

18 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Sounds good, but maybe consider popping a few more stations and bases out there for the time being (just one or two maybe), just so anyone taking part has a bit of choice as to where they're sending a module. It's your choice, but I think that'd be pretty cool... Other than that, it's pretty cool to be adding bases slowly anyway :) (If you want, I might get a chance this weekend (or tonight, maybe) to whip up a core module and a few rovers for a mun base, so people can pick between moon base module and mun station module, and then I could send it off to the mun if you want.)

I might make a base core soon. I was thinking of making one each once a week, starting with a Mun base next week. You could make a base core while I make a rover though. That would be fun!

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

I might make a base core soon. I was thinking of making one each once a week, starting with a Mun base next week. You could make a base core while I make a rover though. That would be fun!

Sounds like a plan, just let me know when you want the core by (and what the part limit is, and a preferred landing location if you want...), and I'll get to it when I can (I'm an Aussie, so I'm only just starting my school day now, but I shouldn't have anything school related to do once I'm home, should get a chance tonight to design it :) ) I think one a week's a pretty good balance too, and as someone whose never actually been past the mun (lack of orbital mechanics knowledge until about a month ago), it could be a good challenge for the future... Cheers.

Edited by Espresso
Stupidity, mainly...

1 hour ago, Espresso said:

Sounds like a plan, just let me know when you want the core by (and what the part limit is, and a preferred landing location if you want...), and I'll get to it when I can (I'm an Aussie, so I'm only just starting my school day now, but I shouldn't have anything school related to do once I'm home, should get a chance tonight to design it :) ) I think one a week's a pretty good balance too, and as someone whose never actually been past the mun (lack of orbital mechanics knowledge until about a month ago), it could be a good challenge for the future... Cheers.

I'd say possibly 8 parts and max 4 landing legs? I didn't really think about the parts limit for bases yet, but the base does need landing legs, and can be left as several nearby pieces to avoid glitches with large bases. We would need docking ports to connect mining crafts with landers, but I don't think they would be needed for a habitation module that could have Kerbals EVA between them instead. I don't think many modules should to be directly connected, mostly because I have a bad feeling that the game would throw the base around when it is loaded in if that were the case.

edit: I'm going to start designing the rover now and possibly some other modules for the Mun base. I won't be using the save file for this though, so feel free to place the first part of the base near the equator of the Mun when it is finished.

edit 2: maybe rovers should have a few more parts because they need to be more self sufficient. 10 should be enough for them.

Edited by 53miner53

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

I'd say possibly 8 parts and max 4 landing legs? I didn't really think about the parts limit for bases yet, but the base does need landing legs, and can be left as several nearby pieces to avoid glitches with large bases. We would need docking ports to connect mining crafts with landers, but I don't think they would be needed for a habitation module that could have Kerbals EVA between them instead. I don't think many modules should to be directly connected, mostly because I have a bad feeling that the game would throw the base around when it is loaded in if that were the case.

edit: I'm going to start designing the rover now and possibly some other modules for the Mun base. I won't be using the save file for this though, so feel free to place the first part of the base near the equator of the Mun when it is finished.

edit 2: maybe rovers should have a few more parts because they need to be more self sufficient. 10 should be enough for them.

Alright, sounds good, in a few hours (likely when you're sleeping) I'll let everyone know when I'm launching, and I'll drop off the core somewhere around the equator. (once designed...) I also won't design in the save though, but I'll drop it in when I'm ready. One last question though, what size parts should I use? Mk 3/3.5m parts? Or Mk 1/2 parts? Dockingwise do we want Sr, normal, or JR ports? I'm thinking one or two on the core maybe...

21 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Alright, sounds good, in a few hours (likely when you're sleeping) I'll let everyone know when I'm launching, and I'll drop off the core somewhere around the equator. (once designed...) I also won't design in the save though, but I'll drop it in when I'm ready. One last question though, what size parts should I use? Mk 3/3.5m parts? Or Mk 1/2 parts? Dockingwise do we want Sr, normal, or JR ports? I'm thinking one or two on the core maybe...

I designed a mining rover that uses mk3 parts and a standard clamp o tron docking port, though I'm not sure if it will make it to the Mun for a while. I also made a small rover for transportation that has one size 2 part, one size 1 part, and a bunch of radial parts, so whatever you want, really.

2 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I designed a mining rover that uses mk3 parts and a standard clamp o tron docking port, though I'm not sure if it will make it to the Mun for a while. I also made a small rover for transportation that has one size 2 part, one size 1 part, and a bunch of radial parts, so whatever you want, really.

Allright, I'll go with Mk 3 parts, and a standard Clamp o  tron... Cheers, I'll let you know how I've gone later

Hmmm I'm thinking about adding a module to this. Maybe I'll send up a tiny RCS tug or something to aid in the docking of ships. Allowing them to have more functional parts rather than just thrusters

Edited by Combatsmithen

9 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Good luck!:)

Hey Miner, I've designed a 12 part Mun Base core, (8 parts, + 4 legs) but I think it'd look a little better if I could add two more shielded docking ports (to cap off exposed fuel tanks). I won't launch it yet, but if that's okay, may I bump it up to 14 parts? Cheers.

EDIT: Didn't end up being Mk3, but it looks kinda cool...

Edited by Espresso
The more you know

4 hours ago, Espresso said:

Hey Miner, I've designed a 12 part Mun Base core, (8 parts, + 4 legs) but I think it'd look a little better if I could add two more shielded docking ports (to cap off exposed fuel tanks). I won't launch it yet, but if that's okay, may I bump it up to 14 parts? Cheers.

EDIT: Didn't end up being Mk3, but it looks kinda cool...

So sounds like base parts will do better with 10 parts as the limit instead of 8 parts. I think we'll set the limit at 10 plus landing legs, so go ahead!

9 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

So sounds like base parts will do better with 10 parts as the limit instead of 8 parts. I think we'll set the limit at 10 plus landing legs, so go ahead!

Thanks! :) I'll see if I can launch it tonight (did a test run on a separate save last night), but I might be snowed down with homework :/ (more than likely) otherwise, at the latest, it'll be friday. I overspecced the launcher though, by a great deal :P, anyone interested in watching a video when I do it?

20 hours ago, Espresso said:

Thanks! :) I'll see if I can launch it tonight (did a test run on a separate save last night), but I might be snowed down with homework :/ (more than likely) otherwise, at the latest, it'll be friday. I overspecced the launcher though, by a great deal :P, anyone interested in watching a video when I do it?

I had about 9000 m/s of Delta v in the third stage of the station core launcher.:P Just means you can bring it further than the Mun if you wanted to.

1 hour ago, AHeroReborn said:

i don't think ill be able to add to that part because i have never attempted a base

I haven't landed anything on the Mun since I bought the full game a couple months ago, so this is going to be interesting. Also, I don't think I'm going to make contributing to the surface bases mandatory for contributing to any stations, so don't worry.

Hi all, just letting everyone know that I'm about to launch. I'll be recording a video of it and uploading it to youtube for anyone that's interested, once I figure out how to put a youtube video in a post,m I'll post it here. Cheers

Aaaaand done, finally did it. Video in progress, turns out my mic wasn't recording (probably for the best, I talk too much), I just have to edit it and upload it. It's 9:30pm here now though, so I'm going to do that tomorrow :P I'll post when I have :) 

[SHAMELESSSELFPROMOTION/] Please like and subscribe if you don't mind, it's my first video on this channel, and I plan on playing other games, having said that, even a view means a lot to me, so thanks in advance to anyone who watches when it's up (I'll fastforward launch, etc. because my voice isn't in it (so you end up with a 6 minute video rather than a 40 minute one. Also, be amused by my initial failure, and then almost failure due to bugginess...[ENDSHAMELESSSELFPROMOTION]

Hi everyone, below you can find the youtube video of me launching and landing the Mun Base Core module, it's sped up 10 times, and goes for about 4 minutes, so please give it a watch if you're interested :)

Edited by Espresso

1 hour ago, HiThere!2 said:

So where is the newest save file?

It's in the OP, up near the title. Just click that and download the file starting with [turn 5], when you're done, upload a new one to the same place, but with [turn 6] and your username in front (or the same format as the last one...)

11 minutes ago, Espresso said:

It's in the OP, up near the title. Just click that and download the file starting with [turn 5], when you're done, upload a new one to the same place, but with [turn 6] and your username in front (or the same format as the last one...)

OK

However I just installed RO so I won't be able to do this yet.

Edited by HiThere!2

2 hours ago, HiThere!2 said:

OK

However I just installed RO so I won't be able to do this yet.

What I do is run a stock install and a modded install :P Just copy your installed files (in case you don't know where that is, idk where for non-steam, but for steam, it should be C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Downloading/Kerbal Space Program) and then just remove any mods from the one you want to be stock. :)

Edited by Espresso
Grammars

48 minutes ago, Espresso said:

What i do is run a stock install and a modded install :P Just copy your installed files (in case you don't know where that is, idk where for non-steam, but for steam, it should be C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Downloading/Kerbal Space Program) and then just remove any mods from the one you want to be stock. :)

Ok I'll try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.