Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

17 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Maybe we need to close it and redeploy it? Or undock and redock the asteroid?

no ore in the tanks. When I checked, I didn't notice anything about the drill not being able to get ore. I tried toggliing the drill, we may need to re-dock the roid. or just give it a little nudge and let it orbit next to the station on its own, then send a little miner out to harvest ore and then go back to the station and drop it off. Like maybe 100 meters from the station

Edited by Combatsmithen

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

No. Sorry.

Ok that's fine. I just wanted a little extra challenge, like sending my shuttle to the LKO station. adding a small module, then refueling the ET there, flying to the Mun or Minmus, adding another small module there, and coming home.

15 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

Ok that's fine. I just wanted a little extra challenge, like sending my shuttle to the LKO station. adding a small module, then refueling the ET there, flying to the Mun or Minmus, adding another small module there, and coming home.

You could bring up the shuttle, do the first module, park the shuttle at the garage, then do the next part on your next turn.

2 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

RIP in kill zoonamedgames

P.S. Took ya name off the list for ya

Thanks. Just cycle me to the bottom as usual. This week and the next will be busy but after that I'll be free again. So no need to stop me from my usual contributions. Still have refueling missions to do after all!

Ok then I'll get my stuff ready and should be done by the end of the weekend at latest

What I am using: An "SSTO" that has the escape pod in the middle and splits into two parts to release it. The front part lands back at the runway like normal, and the engines follow, parachuting down as close as possible.

Pictures of it almost finished, only a few more tweaks left!

Spoiler

y4mu3ffFaJ0yRqAog2Fxk9m_Tr27UZiabpdcX5FH

y4mj4UV6Sja_bI7IF98IMNB8A0Bo0usdUX2Gf23D

y4mkpNQcYmt_sBqylezm6NSVzxC6dfrbtBxLFfuo

The Weird Backwards Facing Turbofan "Wheesley" is for the front of the plane when it splits off

Edited by LazySoUseHyperedit

Yes actually I had to wait about a week to do anything :/, but it serves a purpose, it's so two people don't take the save file at once and both add modules, which creates two different versions of the station. (I'm relatively new here, but I'm guessing that's what happened)

Would it be against the rules and the feelings of the KSS-Contributor who attached by Claw, if, when my turns comes,I would rearrange the Station so everything is connected with docking ports again? (it looks ugly, doesnt it?)

Edited by FuzzyHead

I could begin assembly of a much cleaner truss structure so all module could attach cleanly and without intersecting each other. I'll draw up a schematic and ruleset for my truss segments later. Simply put; it would convert the station as is into something more like this:

mir2-energia-npo.gif

sffri86.jpg

However if support for it were to arise, I could develop an ISS alike truss structure however it would require the most work as far as reordering and selecting new placement areas for existing modules.

1200px-Space_Station_Freedom_design_1991

If you permit, this would become Project Metamorphosis. A project to reconfigure the existing station into something more inline with Space Station Freedom or the modern day ISS. But before I begin work on that, let me know if this idea is Go or NoGo.

If I get permission, my first task will be to review the existing station and then begin to plan the new layout. For whatever I need to resupply or add that my Saturn Shuttle cannot manage, I will launch using my Von Braun reusable launch vehicles (essentially Falcon 9s) which will haul the Eagle Resupply Vehicle which can carry monopropellant, LFO, Xenon, hardware or whatever may needed to be hauled to the destination.

The new station would slowly migrate to the same location as the current station with each station slowly translating away from their initial orbital location until this new station has translated into place. Hopefully, from what I've seen of the station, we shouldn't have to leave anything behind. It's a simple moving of each module to it's new location aboard the truss structure.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I could begin assembly of a much cleaner truss structure so all module could attach cleanly and without intersecting each other. I'll draw up a schematic and ruleset for my truss segments later. Simply put; it would convert the station as is into something more like this:

mir2-energia-npo.gif

sffri86.jpg

However if support for it were to arise, I could develop an ISS alike truss structure however it would require the most work as far as reordering and selecting new placement areas for existing modules.

1200px-Space_Station_Freedom_design_1991

If you permit, this would become Project Metamorphosis. A project to reconfigure the existing station into something more inline with Space Station Freedom or the modern day ISS. But before I begin work on that, let me know if this idea is Go or NoGo.

If I get permission, my first task will be to review the existing station and then begin to plan the new layout. For whatever I need to resupply or add that my Saturn Shuttle cannot manage, I will launch using my Von Braun reusable launch vehicles (essentially Falcon 9s) which will haul the Eagle Resupply Vehicle which can carry monopropellant, LFO, Xenon, hardware or whatever may needed to be hauled to the destination.

The new station would slowly migrate to the same location as the current station with each station slowly translating away from their initial orbital location until this new station has translated into place. Hopefully, from what I've seen of the station, we shouldn't have to leave anything behind. It's a simple moving of each module to it's new location aboard the truss structure.

I like it. The current station is kinda a mosh pit with no real organization planning put into it

1 minute ago, Combatsmithen said:

I like it. The current station is kinda a mosh pit with no real organization planning put into it

Alright then. I'll grab the station save here soon and will begin official planning and redesign on Monday. Expect concept plans by Friday and movement to begin on June 5th. I'm hoping to finish in it's entirety before the end of June but there's still a lot of planning and work to be done.

So keep checking back. I'll be providing data as I can create it.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Alright then. I'll grab the station save here soon and will begin official planning and redesign on Monday. Expect concept plans by Friday and movement to begin on June 5th. I'm hoping to finish in it's entirety before the end of June but there's still a lot of planning and work to be done.

So keep checking back. I'll be providing data as I can create it.

I think you should wait until it's your turn. Then we should pause on your turn until you are done re-organizing it. So people who have been waiting (like myself) aren't stuck waiting until the end of June. @ZooNamedGames

Also @53miner53. What's that station in polar orbit? Is that an official station? Because in my turn I was thinking of testing my shuttle's polar orbit launching capabilities and sending up a core module for a polar station or another module for adding onto the "thing" that is already there.

The polar station is not official, and I asked the same question about who put it there before, and no one's claimed it yet. I think it's a single launch station, and has way too many parts for a module.

also @ZooNamedGames, I like your idea. Go ahead with it on your turn, and if you need a heavy lifter, Columbia is theoretically capable of at least 200 tons to LKO in a heavy lifter configuration. I could launch some shuttles if you need me to.

4 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

The polar station is not official, and I asked the same question about who put it there before, and no one's claimed it yet. I think it's a single launch station, and has way too many parts for a module.

also @ZooNamedGames, I like your idea. Go ahead with it on your turn, and if you need a heavy lifter, Columbia is theoretically capable of at least 200 tons to LKO in a heavy lifter configuration. I could launch some shuttles if you need me to.

Should be fine as is. Just give me a 2 turn warning when my turn is near so I can prepare.

11 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

He could also use my SS if he wants. Has mechjeb on it, but I only use that to do orbital maneuvering, you have to fly the ascent manually. I tested 28 tons to LKO. Can get to a 250x250km orbit with that payload but it doesn't really have enough mono-prop left for maneuvering there. Perhaps once it reaches a 250x250km orbit a fuel drone from the station could be sent to it and refuel it so it can rendezvous. Most payloads aren't 28 tons though anyway unless you want to mass-transport LFO around.

EDIT: Also its very finicky to fly re-entry and ascent. I have ascent down. But i'm still kinda figuring out re-entry

Just an idea if he wants to put in the time to learn it :P. Overall probably not worth it

EDIT2: Another idea. Perhaps modules that look really out of place we could ask the owner if we can burn it up to allow the owner replace it with something that is more usable and looks better with an organized station design? I'm thinking about that rather large power truss under the asteroid that really gets on my nerves cause its solar panels are uneven :P

Edited by Combatsmithen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.