Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

You can launch yours now since it's your turn. The waiting list isn't on a per station basis because I have all the stations in one file.

In the waiting list I see 3 persons above me. I may wait for their turns, I guess... :wink:

The second Kommunity Space Station in LKO, aka. KSS-2 :

@53miner53 and me agreed on building a second station in LKO, due to lag caused by the first station which is currently over 500+ parts. In small configurations (as laptops), this lag can make a simple docking barely hard. So a brand new station will be launched on the same orbit as the first one. I'm in charge of the Core Module, and I will proceed to launch on my turn. Same rules apply to this second station.

On the Core Module, two Senior docking ports will be available. The Core also features a large reaction wheels system, but no RCS thrusters to keep the part count low. It has two 1x6 solar panels , one large RCS tank and one large battery. There is no crew capabilities in the Core.

I suggest people with higher configs still continue to add modules to the first station, so it wont fall in oblivion.

681626screenshot8.png

A preview of the KSS-2 Core Module

Edited by HerrCrazi

2 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

In the waiting list I see 3 persons above me. I may wait for their turns, I guess... :wink:

@53miner53 and me agreed on building a second station in LKO, due to lag caused by the first station which is currently over 500+ parts. In small configurations (as laptops), this lag can make a simple docking barely hard. So a brand new station will be launched on the same orbit as the first one. I'm in charge of the Core Module, and I will proceed to launch on my turn. Same rules apply to this second station.

On the Core Module, two Senior docking ports will be available. The Core also features a large reaction wheels system, but no RCS thrusters to keep the part count low. It has two 1x6 solar panels , one large RCS tank and one large battery. There is no crew capabilities in the Core.

I suggest people with higher configs still continue to add modules to the first station, so it wont fall in oblivion.

Oh. I thought it was your turn. I may have been thinking of someone else. Sorry!

3 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

681626screenshot8.png

With this new station, we need to keep it more organized. Poor Zoo named games had to reorganize the whole station just in time for it to become too big to reasonably run, my 6700k OC to 4.5 and 1070 struggles and gets around 10-20 FPS.

People need to not just randomly add modules they need to add modules that look good and make sense where they are, so it looks elegant, not a mess of parts thrown together.

53 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

People need to not just randomly add modules they need to add modules that look good and make sense where they are, so it looks elegant, not a mess of parts thrown together.

I totally agree with that :) In my opinion, we should keep this one "realistic", without weird modules docked everywhere in weird ways on the station.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, scottadges said:

Oh, OK. I won't add anything to that one them. I think I'll work on a quick little escape pod system for the smaller docking ports. Thanks for the replies!

I like to hear that my docking arm is getting used!  never mind, not the docking arm I was thinking of

Edited by Cadet_BNSF

@Combatsmithen, @HerrCrazi: Totally agree with the comments regarding LKO-2, keeping it realistic, and not going over-board with parts everywhere.

In spirit, I'd see it like KSS Polar: functional, symmetrical, organized. Not sure if @53miner53 did that one mostly himself, or one of the others on the thread did, but overall I really like that station.

A suggestion: Can we use the Google Doc list to plan out what will be added to the new station? Like, HerrCrazi you put down the core, then the rest of us can add to it until the plan is "finalized". Then folks can start adding components to LKO-2.

Also, what do people think about an "approval" (light-weight, non-authoritarian) process for components? I think 53Miner has the ultimate say, correct? So just as HerrCrazi posted his preview, we can all see what he's recommending. If 53Miner or others have major issues, they can voice them here?

[Forgive me the obvious, if these are already the rules of conduct for this thread/group.]

Edited by scottadges

On 2/19/2017 at 8:18 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

One of the ideas of this challenge is using detachable RCS pods, or using a tug module (which we could waive the 7 part rule a little bit to have a dedicated tug).

I was reviewing old threads and saw this series of comments about RCS and using detachable "tools" (aka tugs) which can help docking modules to stations.

My solution (for future viewers' reference) was to use a version pictured below that had a kind of scaffold to bring the RCS thrusters in line with the CoM. I use RCSBuildAid to balance RCS, I'll never play KSP without it!

LoKVfoj.jpg

It's fair to note that since my end was a heat shield, it was easy to blast off the docking component. But I think it applies across the board. Also since it wasn't going to be on the station itself, I didn't have to worry about the 7-part total limit for the tug. It was going to be debris anyway. :P

Edited by scottadges

25 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

I had removed my name from the list because I still cannot go, so skip me so I don't waste everyone's time

Sorry about that. @HerrCrazi is up!

As for the KSS 2, I can create a document for planning that, update the OP, and let people plan in it until some date. Then we could continue on with building it and planning other stations. 

Edit: here's the planning document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11GviiJ1xIP3HuK74PcQAw0TlZ_Axt0sOOIzPFyoe3lM

Edited by 53miner53

Okay, it has been quite some time and my life has been crazy... I launched the first piece of this thing and I basically abandoned it afterwards.

I remember something about there being more than just one station (like mun bases and such) but I never actually dove deep enough into the thread to see this.

So, I'm back now, and I may add something yet - could someone sum up what has happened since I left?

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Okay, it has been quite some time and my life has been crazy... I launched the first piece of this thing and I basically abandoned it afterwards.

I remember something about there being more than just one station (like mun bases and such) but I never actually dove deep enough into the thread to see this.

So, I'm back now, and I may add something yet - could someone sum up what has happened since I left?

Well the latest idea is literally right above your post... but there has been a lot more. 

1. Stations around the Mun, Minmus, Eve, Gilly, Moho and Duna.

2. KSS rearrangement by @ZooNamedGames

3. Munar base and base rules

4. KSS damage: an arm with an asteroid attached to it broke off and is in the process of being reassembled

I think that's about it.

Awesome @53miner53 thanks for creating the KSS 2 planning doc.

I took the liberty of adding some more thoughts to the Additional / Maybe Modules. Plus a bit of formatting... I'm OCD in Word like that LOL

I'd like to volunteer for Crew Hab module(s). It would likely be a few people over several turns. Perhaps we could do a trunk/branches approach, with multiple Hab modules as spindles or part of the super-structure?

Also for overall design, how do people feel about girders (like, really bolted-on space-construction aesthetic)? Or Hab rings? 

Edited by scottadges

14 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Sorry about that. @HerrCrazi is up!

As for the KSS 2, I can create a document for planning that, update the OP, and let people plan in it until some date. Then we could continue on with building it and planning other stations. 

Edit: here's the planning document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11GviiJ1xIP3HuK74PcQAw0TlZ_Axt0sOOIzPFyoe3lM

Can I add the IRSU module( Large converter, large ore tank, 2 large solar panels, and RTG. Or I can take off the RTG and add a Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer tank.) I'll add my name to the list. Also thanks @HerrCrazi and @53miner53 for creating the KSS 2, so that people like me won't have to deal with lag.:) 

Edit: Of course a Clamp O Tron Sr and something like 4 regular ports on the side for docking.

Edited by kerbalstar
Afterthoughts.

Wow ! So much useful activity here ! I love the way this project is going ! :)

I'll launch the KSS-2 this night (it's currently 18:40 PM here in France), and try to release quickly the save in order to let other people do their turns quickly.

I added a new category to the KSS-2 planning document : a listing of all the future modules (those who are sure to be added) and the current ones. This will help to show what modules have actually been built, what ones are under waiting queue, summarize the part count, ect... Feel free to add your module if I forgot it.

Oh, and sorry for the response delay, I had to manage with my studies :wink: Now I got all the night for me to launch that KSS-2... Yayyy!!

Edited by HerrCrazi

Hey folks, I was playing around with an idea for a new Community Space Station badge:

XxXg7dF.png  T6ND6XD.png  aja1uPT.png

Not that the current one is bad or anything. :blush:  But I love the badges for the STS Challenges (FYI mine is nowhere near as good):

YgXYW8T.jpg?1  <------ How cool is this, right?

Anyway, I thought I'd offer one here for CSS. Please let me know what you all think? @53miner53 I'll leave it up to you if you wanted to use something like this? I can also make edits.

Or if someone else wants to try their hand at a badge (with 53Miner's blessing or course) let's see how creative we can get!

Edited by scottadges

23 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Loving the formatting! And the page title! A table in Word?! C'est vraiment fantastique, ca! :D

Merci :D Tables are easy to use : Insert > Table :wink:

This formatting was in fact really simple :) As I enjoy web design, I already made much more advanced designs, even on websites  (ie. coding layout in HTML/CSS :cool:) .

@scottadges I love your badges, especially the blue one :) Let's see if @53miner53 likes them

So now the KSS-2 is orbiting Kerbin ! Yeah !

I managed to get a stable circular orbit at 250km (+- 500m). All worked as expected, and, in the words of Werner von Kermann, the Flight Director, "thanks to our advanced technologies like duct tape and struts, we can reasonably say that this mission is a success." :)

834861screenshot46.png          348440screenshot55.png

Launching in a wonderful sunrise                                                                               The KSS-2 Core in orbit

Let's go for the next turns !

Edited by HerrCrazi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.