Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Ok. @scottadges is up!

Hey cool! And I'm actually able to play KSP lately, so good timing. :D

I was originally thinking a science component, but there's a lot of science stuff on the Kerbin Station already. I'm suggesting an Infrared telescope to be connected at one of the ends of the main Habitat ring. 

@53miner53 Any thoughts on this direction?

3uKDt02.jpg

CeZbJqU.jpg

Edited by scottadges
Updated progress & thoughts on the module for Turn 57

Just also wanted to ask/make a note, when I opened the Save file (Community Space Station Turn 56 53miner53.zip) several things came up as not loading due to a procedural parts mod. The file itself said 44 flights in progress, but after loading only shows 41 flights.

I'm assuming I can proceed without these? Please let me know otherwise. Thanks!

Here's the specific list of popups for what wouldn't load:

Columbia-LR Probe
EC Transfer Craft
Vessel Debris (x3)
Untitled Space Craft

Edited by scottadges

On 2/17/2017 at 4:21 PM, 53miner53 said:

The polar stations and surface bases become available after you add to that body's equatorial station.

Ok, realized I skipped the above rule. I was looking at the Polar Station instead of the Equatorial station first. I'll go ahead and do a quick KSS Equatorial module this turn, then tackle the Polar station telescope in my next turn.

I actually have 2 modules for the Polar station:

• First, the Telescope from my earlier screenshots
  • Second, a Survey Scanner attached in the same way but at the mirror point on the Habitat ring (yah symmetry!).

For now, I'm thinking for KSS Equatorial: This craft needs some love. I'll make it a functioning spacecraft by attaching a drive section, etc. to the Sr. port and dropping the extra Hitchhiker component.

Mhv8cfr.jpg

Last thing, I've taken the liberty of renaming the polar station from 'Station' to "KSS (Polar)" as well as the equatorial from 'KSS' to "KSS (Equator)". Let me know if anyone has any issues with that? 

Edited by scottadges

1. Cool about the 2 modules, but good catch with the rules. 

2. That extra hitchhiker had its Sr port break off. I think it's on a different module that's on its way back to the KSS. I may reattach it once the module arrives.

3. The station renaming is fine

Edited by 53miner53

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

2. That extra hitchhiker had its Sr port break off. I think it's on a different module that's on its way back to the KSS. I may reattach it once the module arrives.

Oh, OK. I won't add anything to that one them. I think I'll work on a quick little escape pod system for the smaller docking ports. Thanks for the replies!

Hey @53miner53 (am I over-communicating :/)

I wanted to run this by you, since it's more than the 5-part specification. The 2-Kerbal Escape Pod is 10 parts total, including the docking port/separator component. Any smaller using the solid booster, and it sacrifices any maneuverability. Any issues with this module?

Operation: After undocking and maneuvering out of the way of the station, the pod jettisons the LFO mini jets and blasts retrograde with the solid booster. 

1TEoHOg.jpg

UPDATE: After posting my first version, I thought about it more and tested de-orbit with just mini jets. If you prefer the smaller part count, this is another design. It's a total of 8 parts, including the docking port.

HltWRz9.jpg

This pod actually gets down to ~40km with a full tank burn (slow, but it works).

Edited by scottadges

6 hours ago, scottadges said:

Hey @53miner53 (am I over-communicating :/)

I wanted to run this by you, since it's more than the 5-part specification. The 2-Kerbal Escape Pod is 10 parts total, including the docking port/separator component. Any smaller using the solid booster, and it sacrifices any maneuverability. Any issues with this module?

Operation: After undocking and maneuvering out of the way of the station, the pod jettisons the LFO mini jets and blasts retrograde with the solid booster. 

UPDATE: After posting my first version, I thought about it more and tested de-orbit with just mini jets. If you prefer the smaller part count, this is another design. It's a total of 8 parts, including the docking port.

This pod actually gets down to ~40km with a full tank burn (slow, but it works).

I would prefer the lower part count. 

You're not over communicating at all! I wasn't on the forums for the past few hours though, so sorry about the long response time.

8 hours ago, scottadges said:

HltWRz9.jpg

I also did an escape pod a while back, but yours looks much better. Mine is only 7 parts but I made it able to carry 16 kerbals!

TURN 57 COMPLETE: 2-Kerbal Escape Pod added to the KSS (Equator)

Zcxqmrq.jpg

She doesn't look like much, but she's a highly refined, efficient escape pod system.

You can see the full album at my Imgur:

KSP Community Space Station: 2-Kerbal Escape Pod (Turn 57)

Here are a few highlights:

Spoiler

oX1mtOz.jpg

cGFZuPW.jpg

qi5q7se.jpg

SQubuSL.jpg

JjKDzqM.jpg

Q2nUsa4.jpg

uhbybTx.jpg

Zcxqmrq.jpg

Testing the Escape Pod (Note: Final save has the module docked to the KSS)

5OUXxOv.jpg

VQLUkfY.jpgWfzgwHH.jpg

S7OsFf3.jpg

lnKb1mu.jpg

UPDATE: I've added my updated save file to the Google Drive: Community Space Station Turn 57 Scottadges.zip

I also moved the Turn 56 ZIP file to the "Old Versions" folder.

Edited by scottadges

Wow ! This idea of a community-built space station is just amazing ! :)

I think I would contribute to it, however I was wondering what kind of module do you need on the LKO station ? It's nearly complete now, with science, habitats, services, escape pods...  So I propose a tug module usable for manoeuvers. This tug would have some powerful RCS thrusters and reaction wheels giving it a great manoeuvrability. It would be usable by anyone to manoeuver his/her module without putting RCS on the module or carrying his own tug to orbit.

What do you think about this, and what do you really need for the station?

Oh, and I have also seen a lot of satellites and probes orbiting aroud Kerbin.... Is there rules to add one there ?

1 hour ago, HerrCrazi said:

Wow ! This idea of a community-built space station is just amazing ! :)

I think I would contribute to it, however I was wondering what kind of module do you need on the LKO station ? It's nearly complete now, with science, habitats, services, escape pods...  So I propose a tug module usable for manoeuvers. This tug would have some powerful RCS thrusters and reaction wheels giving it a great manoeuvrability. It would be usable by anyone to manoeuver his/her module without putting RCS on the module or carrying his own tug to orbit.

What do you think about this, and what do you really need for the station?

Oh, and I have also seen a lot of satellites and probes orbiting aroud Kerbin.... Is there rules to add one there ?

We already have a bunch of tugs, TBH everything that a space station could have is already added to the KSS

2 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

So, is it still possible to add something to the Station? Or maybe to another station which isn't finished yet?

You can basically add anything you want to the station, even if there is already a module for that. I was also considering adding a second LKO station so that there is a low lag and incomplete station.

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

You can basically add anything you want to the station, even if there is already a module for that. I was also considering adding a second LKO station so that there is a low lag and incomplete station.

Yeah, it would be a really great idea ! I'm experiencing lag issues with the current main LKO station...

If you want, I can launch the second LKO station core with your approbation. Well, I'm going to build a prototype now :)

7 minutes ago, HerrCrazi said:

Yeah, it would be a really great idea ! I'm experiencing lag issues with the current main LKO station...

If you want, I can launch the second LKO station core with your approbation. Well, I'm going to build a prototype now :)

LKO Station 2 launch is go! :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.