Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

Awesome stuff in this group! Looks like I'm up next, per the Waiting List doc? I see @Paaaad is moved down to the next on the waiting list?

Just want to make sure we're on the right turn between HerrCrazi and Paaaad. This would be Turn 59, since my last was 57, then HerrCrazi for Turn 58, correct?

And thanks @HerrCrazi for KSS-2 station core! Definitely looking forward to work on KSS-2.

For my turn this time, I'll work on the KSS Polar station modules that we discussed a few turns back. I'll post preview pics as soon as I can get back into KSP.

I made a new bunch of badges for the KSS Challenge. They focus on adding modules to stations in orbit around other planets that Kerbin. In fact there is stations all around the System, but only those around Kerbin are used. Those badges will be earned each time someone adds a module to the corresponding station. I hope this will motivate people to add their modules on any station in the System instead only on the KSS-1 LKO station :wink:

Here are those brand new badges :

191895KommunitySpaceStationMoho.png    376885KommunitySpaceStationEve.png     370248KommunitySpaceStationKSS1.png     427878KommunitySpaceStationKSS2.png     570188KommunitySpaceStationMun.png     814540KommunitySpaceStationMinmus.png     843480KommunitySpaceStationDuna.png

1 hour ago, HerrCrazi said:

Here are those brand new badges :

191895KommunitySpaceStationMoho.png    376885KommunitySpaceStationEve.png     370248KommunitySpaceStationKSS1.png     427878KommunitySpaceStationKSS2.png     570188KommunitySpaceStationMun.png     814540KommunitySpaceStationMinmus.png     843480KommunitySpaceStationDuna.png

So you totally "stole my thunder" on the badge(s), but in the best way! These look great and I love how you have the different planets represented in words and colors.

I vote we use these badges as people participate in the group. :0.0:

One question for @53miner53: is the official title "Kommunity" (as in everything 'K' for Kerbals) or is it "Community" (as in the thread title).

If "Kommunity" is preferred, as HerrCrazi has in these badges, I'd suggest we change the title of the thread to "Kommunity Space Station" for consistency. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I vote we use these badges as people participate in the group. :0.0:

One question for @53miner53: is the official title "Kommunity" (as in everything 'K' for Kerbals) or is it "Community" (as in the thread title).

If "Kommunity" is preferred, as HerrCrazi has in these badges, I'd suggest we change the title of the thread to "Kommunity Space Station" for consistency. Thoughts?

Thank you @scottadges

I thing we can use those badges at the same time as your blue one, yours will award participation to the challenge, and mine, contribution to a specific station :)

For the 'K', I followed the old badge's text. It was a K :wink:. We may consider renaming the challenge, as I'm really afraid of having to rename each of my badges one by one :D. @53miner53 will decide. 

I have a question : Who is next in the queue : You or @Paaaad ? Uhm, and we should precise in which station we're gonna add a module in the waiting list, to ensure people can get their badges :)

2 minutes ago, HerrCrazi said:

Thank you @scottadges

I thing we can use those badges at the same time as your blue one, yours will award participation to the challenge, and mine, contribution to a specific station :)

For the 'K', I followed the old badge's text. It was a K :wink:. We may consider renaming the challenge, as I'm really afraid of having to rename each of my badges one by one :D. @53miner53 will decide. 

I have a question : Who is next in the queue : You or @Paaaad ? Uhm, and we should precise in which station we're gonna add a module in the waiting list, to ensure people can get their badges :)

Well, I'm running my turn now, as per 53miner53. Doing orbital maneuvers at Duna.

Ok, sounds good @Paaaad you go ahead. Once you're done, then I'll go.

So Paaaad is on Turn 59, then I'll take Turn 60.

I would say we're not adding to KSS-2 until we have consensus on all the modules, assignments, etc. That way we can keep it more organized.

For Turn 60, I have 2 components I'll be adding to the KSS Polar station (previously confirmed with 53Miner).

Going forward, we can update the Waiting List doc per name to communicate who plans on doing what station, etc.

Edited by scottadges

Ok, thanks @Paaaad !

I'm back in the queue to add a docking node to KSS-2 :) I'm thinking in something like this :

417202screenshot17.png

Preview of the FAITO-KSSC-KSS2M2-DN03 'Raieaturu' Docking Node Prototype

@scottadges, I suggests that we could precise on what station we're going to add a part in the waiting list, and put further informations (in the case of KSS-2) in the KSS-2 Planning Document, in order to keep consistency on this one at least :wink: . Maybe everyone should post a preview picture of what they're going to add on the KSS-2, to make sure it stays realistic and coherent.

I suggests that we could precise on what station we're going to add a part in the waiting list, and put further informations(in the case of KSS-2) in the KSS-2 Planning Document, in order to keep consistency on this one at least :wink: . Maybe everyone should post a preview picture of what they're going to add on the KSS-2, to make sure it stays realistic and coherent.

Definitely agree, this will help us in the planning stage to make sure we're thinking how this station will come together. For the Waiting List, I'd recommend we put a note for what component we plan to put up after we've all agreed that the station should proceed to construction.

DIFFERENT / RELATED TOPIC

@Jhorriga A question for you, you're on the KSS (Kommunity Space Station) Waiting List as putting up a Crew Escape vehicle. Are you thinking for KSS-2 (the new station)? or putting on KSS-1 (current Equatorial station)?

I'm just asking, because I'd recommend we hold off on attaching anything to KSS-2 until there's a bit more consensus on the structure and overall components.

@53miner53 can of course be the moderator here. I'm just asking for clarity per the Waiting List doc. Thanks!

KSS-2 DESIGN COMMENTS

417202screenshot17.png

Preview of the FAITO-KSSC-KSS2M2-DN03 'Raieaturu' Docking Node Prototype

For the Docking Node, I think that works well. I could see Habitat / Crew structures coming off the central core, so 4 spindles with eventually components on each end.

I might suggest we try and use the 3.75m / Sr. Docking port size as the central core because it provides more strength. So rather than standard Docking Ports, you could use a 4-way core of Sr. docking ports?

Pic included for reference:

hPVkoUM.png

Note that this one component goes well over the 5 part limit, because it's using 4x the BZ-52 Radial attachment nodes, then 4x Rockmax X200-8 tanks for structure, along with the X200-32 central structural core. 

Also, it does clip the parts inside to provide a cleaner look. Does anyone have issues with this technique as far as performance/lag?

Any general thoughts on this construction approach for the central docking core of KSS-2?

Edited by scottadges

Save is up,  and I'm hoping to post a video tomorrow (Youtube got rid of its native editor for some reason). In the meantime, a quick summary of my results: The Duna Station now has it's first module, allowing it to seat up to 16 Kerbals in a Mk3 passenger cabin. The RCS blocks are residual from the docking process, but do not exceed the part limit.

screenshot6_zpsbnh9kln3.png

Additionally, I knew that an Ike station was missing, so I brought along a core on the same launch, as well as a fuel tank and engine to position it. Glad I did actually, as I needed some of the fuel from this stage to get to the Duna Station. Ike Station is in an approximately 250x250km orbit.

screenshot7_zpsemndi5fx.png

@scottadges is up next.

EDIT: 

Edited by Paaaad
Add Playlist.

6 hours ago, scottadges said:

I might suggest we try and use the 3.75m / Sr. Docking port size as the central core because it provides more strength. So rather than standard Docking Ports, you could use a 4-way core of Sr. docking ports?

Pic included for reference:

hPVkoUM.png

Note that this one component goes well over the 5 part limit, because it's using 4x the BZ-52 Radial attachment nodes, then 4x Rockmax X200-8 tanks for structure, along with the X200-32 central structural core. 

I love the way this looks :) But is it as strong as a Rockomax node ? I mean, sometimes clipped parts are not strongly attached to others... In fact, it looks even better than my proposal. How did you build it?

11 hours ago, scottadges said:

11 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

I’ll just change the thread to Kommunity when I add the badges to the OP!

As for the waiting list, I can recommend the addition of the module planned to the list.

As for the module, both prototypes look great. I would prefer to have the larger docking ports so the station stays together better, but autostruts should be able to help that as well. 

7 hours ago, HerrCrazi said:

I love the way this looks :) But is it as strong as a Rockomax node ? I mean, sometimes clipped parts are not strongly attached to others... In fact, it looks even better than my proposal. How did you build it?

It should be pretty strong. You surface attach the radial nodes to the core container, then the thinner tanks to the nodes, then the docking port to the thinner tank. Then selecting the radial note, you can clip it into the middle.

Strength-wise, it should register as strong as the surface connection. With auto-struts, it does make it even stronger. But the larger docking ports should provide for less part flex (as far as I understand the way parts work in KSP physics).

Other folks may have more game-technical knowledge than me. This type of thing has always worked for me.

Edited by scottadges

Turn 60 Complete: KSS-Polar Telescope and Survey Scanner Added

M295ABD.jpg

I noticed when I went to run the survey and orbital imaging... the station doesn't have any antennae :rolleyes:

So for my next turn, I'd like to add two small dishes to the Jr. docking ports at the opposite ends of the Hab ring ('cause, symmetry). I'll add this to the Waiting List document.

The Save file is uploading to the Google Docs now.

Mission Breakdown: The challenge was docking each module where only one end had a docking port. This mission profile comprised two identical launches for the modules, each with the same "scaffold" and grabber drone (expendable) per payload. 

In addition to allowing simultaneous launch of two components, once at the station the scaffold guided the grabber drone into place using the momentum from the decoupler above it. This was preferred over fighting with RCS controls to get a clean alignment using only one drone (although perhaps not the most "efficient" use of equipment, etc.).

Once connected, the scaffold separated around the modules. The smaller extended RCS arms of the grabber drone ensured a better balance once the module was connected. It was a very maneuverable little craft.

IRf1YRb.jpg

Launch & Maneuvering: Screenshots included below for key moments of the launch.

Spoiler

[SCREENSHOTS TO BE ADDED]

View more at my Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/Le9wS

Edited by scottadges

So I was adding notes and thoughts to the KSS-2 Planning Document and I thought I could communicate better if I just made something for demonstration purposes.

Here's what I'm thinking for a solar panel section, habitat "spindles", and a separate refinery area. While I did try to maintain the 5-part limit, the solar panels for example were obviously more parts.  

I'm definitely not saying, "This should be the station" but I think it's a starting point for discussion on the construction.

S7kel7y.jpg

Starting from the current core, I added the 6-port docking node we discussed, and then ran with it from there.

The ends of the main spindles would serve as dedicated vehicle docking and refueling using the shielded ports. There is also a structural extension with a shielded docking port below the ore containers.

Also thinking this could orbit at around 500Km and be a transfer station for Mun, Minmus, etc.

Edited by scottadges

3 minutes ago, Jhorriga said:

Yeah. It's meant to glide but has an engine for deborbit burn. I'm planning on launching it dream chaser style.

I had to wiki the Dream Chaser.  :D  Love the history with the DynaSoar and HL-20. Scott Manley actually did a YouTube video with a NASA-geek girl (I mean that in the best way) where they built a DynaSoar in KSP.

Can't wait to play with the craft on my next turn!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.