Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

19 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Heres a link for you guys: https://www.traderjoes.com/

:wink:

Trader Joe's. Here in Prescott that's where all the old people shop. If you set foot in that parking lot you're taking your life into your own hands. You're liable to run over by some old lady in a Prius who isn't watching where she's going because she's arguing with her shih-tzu.

I was in English today and we were doing paragraphs, but in tables in word documents for some reason. My English teacher, is really strict. He got annoyed at me for not having my brightness up on my laptop to at least 50%. I had it at 30%, to save battery but still appease him. But no, he's now said that I'm banned from using my computer in class because I "completely refused to follow simple directions", just because I wanted to save battery.

I then wrote something on a sticky note on my laptop, about how stupid the task is and how I'll never use it in the real world, and sent it to my closest friends so they could read it and discuss it with me. The only problem, one of them then sent it to the teacher, and now I'm in trouble. The teacher then sent the email to my parents, so I'm screwed when I get home. Add to that recent conflict in the family, strict time limits on my afternoon free time (only 90 minutes a day), and general unhappiness, I'm not sure how I can even survive another day of this. Judge for yourself what I wrote on the sticky note below.

Why do I even do this. I already did this in year (removed for my privacy). I don't even use this anyway. How will writing in a table prepare me for a job in the future. It won't. Imagine a job interviewer hiring me for a company on the basis of "Wow. You write really good tables in word documents. You're hired". That's stupid, and will never happen. I want to learn real skills. Addition and subtraction will help me for a checkout job, with adding up prices and taking off things for discounts and what not. Writing tables in word documents won't. I am a good writer. I have written several paragraphs about heroes instead, as that is easier for me to do and understand, even if it is seen as the 'wrong' thing by my teacher. It is my way of learning, and if that's how I display what I've learnt, then so be it.

I just want everything to stop. I want all the unhappiness to stop. It feels like every day I go to school, I suffer, go home, suffer, go to school the next day, suffer, go home, suffer, and it just never ends except for the weekends but I'm only allowed 6 hours of free time over both days. I'm starting to think that I've got depression, and I don't want that. Nobody wants depression. I want to feel happy, but everything I do to try to make myself happy is always strictly controlled by someone else.

I could go on and on about how I feel, but this is a forum, not a blog. So what are your thoughts on this? And more importantly, what should I do about this to stop the cycle of sadness in my life?

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space

6 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

tables in word documents

Yeah, that's a reason for hate.

6 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'll never use it in the real world

<looks at words>

<looks at job>

<looks back at words>

<smirks>

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm banned from using my computer in class because I "completely refused to follow simple directions", just because I wanted to save battery. (... )The teacher then sent the email to my parents, so I'm screwed when I get home.

Honestly, getting an email sent home is the best you could hope for. If your family has any sense, it's the teacher that is screwed.

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I was in English today and we were doing paragraphs, but in tables in word documents for some reason. My English teacher, is really strict. He got annoyed at me for not having my brightness up on my laptop to at least 50%. I had it at 30%, to save battery but still appease him. But no, he's now said that I'm banned from using my computer in class because I "completely refused to follow simple directions", just because I wanted to save battery.

[snip]

I could go on and on about how I feel, but this is a forum, not a blog. So what are your thoughts on this? And more importantly, what should I do about this to stop the cycle of sadness in my life?

[Edited by adsii1970]

I understand how you are feeling and wish to offer my two-cents.

I've taught junior high school for two years and have taught at the university level for nearly fifteen years. And let me offer you some perspective. My area of specialization is U.S. History and U.S. Foreign Policy and most of my peers where I work have been teaching a lot longer than I am - and they have no concept of how to use technology. So they still assign work as they did back in the 1980s and 1990s, not realizing how computers and technology can work, be utilized, and be very beneficial within their courses.

What I suspect is your teacher doesn't understand technology and does not trust the student body to do what they are supposed to be doing. A brighter screen means he can see what you are working on as he walks by or scans the crowd with little difficulty. If you dim the screen, this makes it harder for him to see what you are doing from a distance. And in today's educational environment, teachers can be held accountable for anything students access in class and on the Internet. Now I am not saying you are not trustworthy, but there are some in your class whom you probably know should not be trusted. And unfortunately, your teacher cannot choose favorites to allow you to do something that he would not allow other students.

With that said, and with today's environment, I have no idea why anyone would ever want to go into public education. Ever.

And about the assignment - ok, so he wants you to use tables. One of the requirements I have as a professor of history is I must publish something every two years (yeah, next year is that year for me...) Now I do not put paragraphs within tables, but I do use tables for data. But here's the thing - for whatever reason, he has decided it is part of the assignment. Therefore, just do it. It may not make sense, it may be a complete time waster, and believe me, I understand. But do it. I'm willing to bet he is an older gentleman who was taught that you had to do it that way...

Now about the depression - I'd like to offer a recommendation that works for me: Get some time by yourself outdoors and away from a computer. Your brain and body were designed to be outdoors. Lack of sun, fresh air, and exercise can actually compound depression. For me, I walk five miles every morning - and it really makes a difference in how severe my depressive episodes get. Also, get rid of sodas; too much sugar can also cause depression.

9 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Now about the depression - I'd like to offer a recommendation that works for me: Get some time by yourself outdoors and away from a computer. Your brain and body were designed to be outdoors. Lack of sun, fresh air, and exercise can actually compound depression. For me, I walk five miles every morning - and it really makes a difference in how severe my depressive episodes get. Also, get rid of sodas; too much sugar can also cause depression.

Thanks for the tip, this morning I woke up early to go outside and bird watch for five minutes. It really helped, even if the morning was freezing cold.

sooo.... Hey there canada! not trying to be offensive, but your schooling is way behind (at least where I used to live).

so, I moved out to canada for 3 years (my dad found a job there, and we thought it would be interesting to see), right, went to school there (right after your teacher strike) and stuff. I left after my grade 9 year, and welp, turns out that your schooling is a year behind the u.s`s, no problem right? no. no. just no. So, i`m spending most of my summer break being a stressed (not exactly mess, but you know what I mean) person, trying to catch up to a entire year of schooling in the space of a month. Woohoo. It was fun anyways (most of the time).

35 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Thanks for the tip, this morning I woke up early to go outside and bird watch for five minutes. It really helped, even if the morning was freezing cold.

Not a problem. I'm always (or almost) always around on the forum - so don't worry about bothering me if you need to talk.

I suffer from PTSD and depression does accompany it. I made the decision to learn coping skills and natural remedies rather than to turn to prescribed medications. I did this with the consent of my primary care doctor and against the wishes of the counselor. It was tricky, but I learned some things about human behavior. Fresh air and being outside help with the depression. Changing my diet and reducing the simple carbs and sugars also helped, as well as getting rid of all sodas. I've even learned that at night, I needed to reduce the amount of artificial light about two hours before bed time - and that include exposure to computer screens and televisions, too. So now I use that time to read real (paper) books.

UPDATE: I got my computer back again, and, to my great surprise, everything was untouched! KSP is still on it! All my documents and files are still on it! Yippee! I can play KSP again! Now I just have to make several new episodes of The Orange Wasteland to get back in business with my readers...

7 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

Steam wont open, it just wont, so now I can't open any of my steam games, even if I have them on my desktop :(

Go inside your Steam folder, then (I'm going from memory, don't quote me on this) go into SteamApps, then common (I think?) and all your Steam games should be there. :) 

I really don't get Global Warming deniers logic. I mean, i really don't want to turn this into a flamewar neither do i want a hate fiesta against Global Warming Deniers.

The region where i live is higly affected by global warming every year. Rising sea levels could be extremely dangerous, and i have in fact seen a big chunk of water closing in on the coast in the last 7 years. Also, there is always a 'warmest year of the ever recorded in our country' thing going on every year. Im 100% sure that is all real, im pretty sure culture would have been affected by near tropical temperature  every now and then if it was not the hottest.

Also, i have heard Global Warming Deniers refer to 'the government' like there is this worldwide cooperation that wants to panic the human race. And they usually say 'but im cold now' wich is probably the most ignorant answer, since nobody cares about your temperature, its GLOBAL warming remember? Luckily it is not used that often.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:14 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I just want everything to stop. I want all the unhappiness to stop. It feels like every day I go to school, I suffer, go home, suffer, go to school the next day, suffer, go home, suffer, and it just never ends except for the weekends but I'm only allowed 6 hours of free time over both days. I'm starting to think that I've got depression, and I don't want that. Nobody wants depression. I want to feel happy, but everything I do to try to make myself happy is always strictly controlled by someone else.

Disclaimer: obviously if you are seriously concerned with mental health, the best advice...is to seek professional advice.

However.

As sucky as your english teacher/class sounds, it does sound pretty normal. And your opinions on whether something being taught is worth anything or not are hardly relevant. The dirty truth is that hardly any of actual subject matter (apart from things like reading, writing and maths) will last you longer than university anyway (if you choose to attend). What you are really learing is how to learn. How to listen to someone when you'd rater be building rockets. And truuuuuust me, you do not want to skip that, no matter how useless it seems. The actual subject matter is of little relevance. At some point you will be allowed to ditch the subjects you hate and extend the ones you like, look forward to that day.

Prime example - I studied chemistry at school from the age of, I dunno, 10? 12? until the age of 18. Then when I arrived at university to start a degree in chemistry, almost the whole first term was un-learning what we learnt at school. And further, I learned a HECK of a lot more than just chemistry whilst at university. Sometimes the subject matter is not the be-all-and-end-all.

You say you "suffer". But do you really? KSP. Laptop. Ability to send electronic messages, if ill advised, mid class (yeah being reported to teach for that message was kinda on you. Discretion my man, discretion.) Plentiful internet access. You're good. We all experienced similar feelings.

The best lesson you can learn at life is that at no point are you entitled to only do what you want with no other responsibilities. Life takes work, work has no obligation to be fun.

Im sorry if that sounds harsh, but well honestly, being your age can be kinda harsh. But its the same for most of us. If you think other people are having an easier or more fun time, know this - they will be less prepared when they are finally forced to fend for themselves. Im not talking getting a job or negotiating a salary (somehow there are always idiots you hate landing on their feet constantly), Im talking putting up with what life throws at you with grace and guile. 

How to end "the cycle of sadness"? I dont think you are in one, friend, I think you are passing through part of life that can be difficult. Ride it out. Oh yes some things get worse, but a lot of things - especially your freedom to determine your own fate (a doubled edged sword THAT is...) - get a lot better.

One thing that might help - take up a class outside of school, like learning a musical instrument or a new sport. Something you choose yourself. A thing you can take charge of, that you manage on your own. A class, and this is relatively important, full of people you do not know, who are not necessarily all your own age. I would suggest martial arts to literally anyone, for a million reasons - many of which are specifically of benefit to this discussion - but of course thats up to you.

Stick it out. You'd rather be stuck with your weirdly-IT-unaware teacher than a teacher who doesnt care enough to tell you off even for stupid things.

And if you can make it through his lessons, whilst following instructions and keeping him "happy", my man THAT is a valuable skill (putting up with fools, or even just being out of your "comfort zone" in any way, without losing your head)  that WILL be relevant in later life.

Edited by p1t1o

Exactly this. 

Especially about the teachers who dont care. I had one that was about 80 years old, and seemed to just be there for the pension. 

If you have interests, read a book about it. It helps you seperate the partial facts that they may be teaching you as placeholders from the real, cutting edge science facts. 

On 08/08/2017 at 2:56 PM, adsii1970 said:

Get some time by yourself outdoors and away from a computer.

Going as far away from human civilisation as possible is even better than just going outside. Or at least a place where nature dominates.

Whenever i go to the coast, i never leave without a pocketful of seashells and feathers, and watching the waves roll over the coast and erode the landscape is probably the most satisfying things ever. :)

On 8/8/2017 at 8:56 AM, adsii1970 said:

Get some time by yourself outdoors and away from a computer.

I find myself doing that a lot lately, and it's why I now have a 4-inch long walking Tootsie Roll with thirteen eyes...which is actually a great thing!

Spoiler

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's this Pandorus Sphinx larva I found. No matter what color it is, it always reminds me of a giant Tootsie Roll, either regular or Fruit. Great, now I want a Tootsie Roll, but I can't because of my braces. Darn.

I find myself continuously annoyed and furious with the Emoji Movie for numerous reasons. While I have been lucky enough to not see that abomination, what I've heard about it is truly despicable. It has incredibly shameless and forced-in advertisements, contains some of the stupidest and cringeist quotes in the entire Multiverse, and paints my generation as a bunch of self-obsessed [insert insulting adjective] that care about nothing else except for mindless texting and have no interest in anything else. The last of those three gripes gets me ticked off the most, as I am the complete OPPOSITE of that. The idiots at Sony are basically saying that if you were part of this specific generation (which I will not name), then you are supposed to be a mindless idiot with little sense of intelligence who spends his/her life glued to their phone. They could not be more wrong. I fall into that generation, but I find freaking PLANETS and spend most of my time doing mind-engaging things, whether it's calculations or keeping myself updated on what's going on with our world or just pulling away from a screen to enjoy our reality. The image that Sony has painted this generation in is not only incredibly insulting to me, but to all people inside and outside the forums who fall into the generation. Even some of the most dislikable people I've met from this age group are not like what Sony believes they are. It is a huge "screw you" to all of us, and it makes me (and 99% of the Internet) FURIOUS.

Whew. Sorry for that rant, I just had to get it out. Personally, I DESPISE being judged by anything, whether it be my school or age or hobbies. What Sony has done disgusts me.

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Stupid spellcheck

I have two today.

So when Rogue One was in the theaters I was too sick to see it. Bought it in May. Watched it once really liked it. Put the DVD up and.... it got lost. Been trying to find it all summer. Finally found it yesterday. Much joy ensued. Got out the headphones and the laptop. Opened the optical drive. Inserted disk. As the tray closes the disk decides to come out and slide between the laptop housing and the drive. How is that even possible? Sigh. Get the screwdriver out. Flip the laptop. Turns out the one screw that typically holds the drive is not accessible on this model without removing the protectsmart cover (whatever that is). heavy sigh. Remove the battery to access the screw holding the cover. Try to remove the screw. It comes loose but won't come out. It just bounces in the hole like it has a rubber band on it. I had this cover off once before to check for available ram slots, so I know it will come off. It just won't

Second complaint. Why do T-shirt manufacturers make the graphics so large. Take your typical Batman shirt. The logo should not go armpit to armpit. It should bee about 1/4 the size they make it. This must just annoy me as I don't hear others complain about it.