Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

3 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

My son popped in today and operated...

I swear I started reading this and I thought it was a baby poop story... :rolleyes: 

Condolences about the DVD. At least the rebellion will win because of that sacrifice.

There are kids at my school who are apparently very smart, and when i've interacted with them they are, but they just dont have the skills nessesary to succeed in life yet. I'm talking, in math, this one kid was out for 15-20 minutes for school pictures, and the next class showed up with the homeowrk not completed and had to get explained FROM THE START how to set up the homework for him. He didnt even miss the whole part about that!

Theres another kid who skipped a grade who does have "social skills". The thing is, these are incredibly extroverted skills, like where he wont leave you alone. In math, I was trying to do homework, and he couldnt stop talking to me even though i was basically ignoring him. 

Its just kinda annoying...

13 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

There are kids at my school who are apparently very smart, and when i've interacted with them they are, but they just dont have the skills nessesary to succeed in life yet. I'm talking, in math, this one kid was out for 15-20 minutes for school pictures, and the next class showed up with the homeowrk not completed and had to get explained FROM THE START how to set up the homework for him. He didnt even miss the whole part about that!

well...I missed about 5 minutes to clean out my lunchbox after I had something burst in it and start to leak, and I missed something. I had to get caught up on it. so you cant FULLY blame him, you can kind of for not inferring, but not FULLY. also pictures is not really a great excuse to get out of math.

13 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Theres another kid who skipped a grade who does have "social skills". The thing is, these are incredibly extroverted skills, like where he wont leave you alone. In math, I was trying to do homework, and he couldnt stop talking to me even though i was basically ignoring him. 

usually my teacher stops me for talking once about my project I was about to present (it was awesome by the way. it was supposed to be about "SOCIAL ISSUES" (everyone else had depressing things about stupid stuff) but I did it about SPACEX!!!! MUAHAHAHA! TAKE THAT TEACHER!) supprised that the teacher didn't stop him after speaking very quietly

4 minutes ago, Leftykap said:

Can't find solar eclipse glasses so have to use a crapy homemade cereal box eclipse viewer that I made 

Hit up a welding supplier in your area. A good welding lens is dark enough to view the eclipse directly (#15 or #16 is dark enough).
Last time a eclipse passed thru my area I used my welding helmet and that worked well.

Edited by GDJ

1 minute ago, GDJ said:

Hit up a welding supplier in your area. A good welding lens is dark enough to view the eclipse directly (#15 or #16 is dark enough).
Last time a eclipse passed thru my area I used my welding helmet and that worked well.

Aren't the lenses super expensive? I checked at Home Depot it's like 100 dollars for a welding helmet and I'm gona need 4 of them for my family 

Just now, Leftykap said:

Aren't the lenses super expensive? I checked at Home Depot it's like 100 dollars for a welding helmet and I'm gona need 4 of them for my family 

The lenses aren't that bad, but the added cost is the helmet themselves, and that depends on what style, grade, who makes them, etc. Like anything out in the retail world you have to shop around. That's why I suggested a welding supplier. Places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart have a massive markup on their stuff. Welding suppliers have a markup too, but I found that the prices are more reasonable. Also for that $100 you might be looking at the auto dimming welding helmets (they work on a heavy duty LCD lens) and that would make sense for that price. You definitely don't need that style.

You don't need the super-duper Gold Plated lenses (yeah I have those) but the old fashioned Green lenses work just fine, and they're cheaper. Also you can get them in various sizes from 2"x4" to 5"x7" depending on what you need. Avoid Oxy-Acetylene goggles or the sunglass style: They aren't dark enough (about a #8). You want lenses for Arc Welding.

Apart from that, the shoebox with a tiny hole in it works fine. It's just not as neat to see the eclipse that way.

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Would several sunglasses stacked on top of each other work? :P 

No. Anybody that does that doesn't like vision, and it would look really REALLY stupid. (face palm) :D

2 minutes ago, GDJ said:

The lenses aren't that bad, but the added cost is the helmet themselves, and that depends on what style, grade, who makes them, etc. Like anything out in the retail world you have to shop around. That's why I suggested a welding supplier. Places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart have a massive markup on their stuff. Welding suppliers have a markup too, but I found that the prices are more reasonable. Also for that $100 you might be looking at the auto dimming welding helmets (they work on a heavy duty LCD lens) and that would make sense for that price. You definitely don't need that style.

You don't need the super-duper Gold Plated lenses (yeah I have those) but the old fashioned Green lenses work just fine, and they're cheaper. Also you can get them in various sizes from 2"x4" to 5"x7" depending on what you need. Avoid Oxy-Acetylene goggles or the sunglass style: They aren't dark enough (about a #8). You want lenses for Arc Welding.

Apart from that, the shoebox with a tiny hole in it works fine. It's just not as neat to see the eclipse that way.

Thanks. I don't know what those welding terms mean but I'll check it out online, and if worst comes to worst I'll see it in a box

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Leftykap said:

Thanks. I don't know what those welding terms mean but I'll check it out online, and if worst comes to worst I'll see it in a box

Just an idea, trying to help.

Also the # of the lens indicates how dark the lens is. Bigger number, darker lens.
Arc Welding is just a form of welding, just like Oxy-Acetylene (Oxygen and Acetylene Gas). 

Just did a quick check on Walmart.com (US portal) and they have a whack of inexpensive welding stuff. As long as they have the right lens for the job, go there @Leftykap.

Which brings me to my complaint of the day: OUR WALMARTS UP HERE IN CANADA SUCK DONKEY PARTS!! ALL WE GET IS THE CHEAP PLASTIC DISPOSABLE CRAP!!

Everyone talking about th eclipse but i dont live in North America or any place near that so yeh. The last time i saw an eclipse was before i got my cool tellyscope with visor.

45 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm thinking of video recording it and sharing it. I live in the total eclipse zone...

Lucky 

My complaint... Not sure I'm gonna get to even SEE the eclipse... Wide swaths of the the US are going to be seeing storms on Monday...
Storms = Clouds = No seeing totality ;.;

Given that it was a planned 6 hour trip to see totality, and a 6 hour trip back... and the place has a forecast 75% chance of being cloudy with thunderstorms... Dang... We'd have to drive an additional 2 hours out (plus two more back) to even get to a place with a 50/50 chance of being cloudy. I wanna see it, but that's a lot of gas money for a 16 hour on the road gamble. :/

Also, I spent $12 on welding goggles with a flip up #5 lens, and $2.50 for a #9 lens. The shade value are linear, and stackable, so a #5 + #9 = #14... If you really need to, you can always buy a couple shade plates for a couple bucks, tape them together, and just hold them up to your face... If you can see the sky... :(

If you are going to use welding glass - as others have mentioned use a minimum of #12 glass. Don't take a chance with less.

I live in a 95% eclipse zone. I have two scopes. An 8" Dpbsonian and a 5 1/2" reflector on an alt/az computerized mount. I have full fitting solar filters for both. We have 3 sets of viewing glasses from Walmart. We have snacks. Life is good.... except now the forecast has changed to cloudy. :(

23 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I nearly couldn't see the eclipse.

#MobileSux

the eclipse is tomorrow...?

and something to complain about!

for some reason I get these stupid ads that say "our scans indicate that your computer still has problems!" and they ALWAYS get in the way of me doing stuff! playing a game? AD! landing on the mun? AD! doing nothing? AD!

well the last one isn't all that bad, but it is VERY annoying

Edited by StupidAndy

21 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Ran out of gas after renting a bass boat. Worst part was that we could see the marina and was less then 5 minutes out.

:D

50 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Yes, I it's tomorrow

i live here:

Great place for a crop circle, that will give the news something to talk about... and leave you a place to view from.

Edited by Red Shirt