Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

And Mine Collapse Insurance!

2 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

when I went through indiana, it was freezing rain, ice on the roads, and our Uhaul`s lock got stuck, we had to go into the hotel, and awkwardly get cups of hot water from the breakfast bar thing

Sums up my opinion of it.

My buddy and I gave up on our eclipse road trip... ;.;

We would be leaving for Nebraska right now, pooling out resources for gas money, sleeping in the car while the other drives, and not stopping at any motel... And STILL choosing which bills to pay late... Now it looks like to get clear skies, we'd need to drive all the way into Wyoming! That takes the one way distance from 6 hours to 10 hours of driving... It's just not possible... It's almost double the gas, 20 hours on the road, vs 12, with every place to sleep on the eclipse path booked... Dear Lord...

Yeah... We decided to call this one a bust. All we can hope for is to see the one in seven years... :(

Dang weather... :mad:

And if you like corn and soybeans, and MOAR corn... Come to Minnesota! :sticktongue:

Edited by richfiles

23 minutes ago, richfiles said:

My buddy and I gave up on our eclipse road trip... ;.;

We would be leaving for Nebraska right now, pooling out resources for gas money, sleeping in the car while the other drives, and not stopping at any motel... And STILL choosing which bills to pay late... Now it looks like to get clear skies, we'd need to drive all the way into Wyoming! That takes the one way distance from 6 hours to 10 hours of driving... It's just not possible... It's almost double the gas, 20 hours on the road, vs 12, with every place to sleep on the eclipse path booked... Dear Lord...

Yeah... We decided to call this one a bust. All we can hope for is to see the one in seven years... :(

Dang weather... :mad:

And if you like corn and soybeans, and MOAR corn... Come to Minnesota! :sticktongue:

Aww..... I'm not sure if posting our pictures of the eclipse would help, but hopefully next time is better luck.

Had to prune out a few posts, because the "stuff" they were complaining about was other forum users, by name.

Just to be clear:  Complaining about other forum users is out of bounds here.  Not Okay.

If you think another forum user is doing something that is so wildly inappropriate that it actually breaks forum rules, then feel free to report their offending posts and the moderators will have a look at it.  If they just bug you, though... keep your complaints to yourself, please.

Thanks.

the next SpaceX launch is on the first day of school :mad:

also, school

welcome back to another year of idiots, jocks, idiots and 2.2b violating conversations! what fun. :(

I suspect I will have a HUGE post once the first day is over (because I have to get up at 7, and I usually sleep to 12 :D)

On 8/17/2017 at 9:39 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

I have been in the school for 4 days. Good to see friends, but SCHOOL.

<glances at the counter labeled Days Since Summer Vacation, as it ticks over to yet another number well in excess of 6000...>

You have a ghostwriter ? :-)

Internet providers ! They think we all are idiots, or what ? Sorry for the drastic words, am normally extremely peaceful (pets purring cat like E. S. Blofeld would).

I didn't even have a third of the promised bandwidth, they want to keep control over my router, they damaged the window frame when fiddling a cable through, ip addresses aren't dynamic and the service extremely arrogant.

Am back on satellite.

Living on an island has disadvantages, but at night, when the loudest noise is the rushing blood in the ears, i know why i live here.

Pets purring cat a little softer.

6 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

You have a ghostwriter ? :-)

Me??  On, no!!!

Celebrities... it really bugs me seeing someone promoting "their new book" that they clearly didn't write themselves, and making a ton of $$$ doing it!  :mad:

Edited by Just Jim

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Celebrities... it really bugs me seeing someone promoting "their new book" that they clearly didn't write themselves, and making a ton of $$$ doing it!

When is the last time Henry Ford designed a car?  Celebrities have simply become an industry.  Each one is a company, using its name to make money.

17 minutes ago, razark said:

When is the last time Henry Ford designed a car?  Celebrities have simply become an industry.  Each one is a company, using its name to make money.

Over a hundred years ago, depending on which Henry Ford we're talking about...

I think it was the Quadricycle.

16 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ford built a company. A company is different than having a ghost writer... a lot different.

In some cases, I don't see much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Op-Center
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Net_Force
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Net_Force_Explorers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Power_Plays

Yes, you can argue over "celebrity" and "ghostwriter", I suppose.  Does it really make that much difference?  It's still someone using someone's name to make money.

Edited by razark

Ford Motor Company is still owned by the Ford family. It's governed by the Ford Foundation in 1921. Now with that said, it is profoundly different than a "ghost writer." Corporations have a larger tax burden, have to consider national laws regarding labor, environment, etc. Ford also has to engage in risk management, regardless of whomever designed the car. Ford Motor Company assumes the liability (risk) of every person associated with the design, manufacture, and sales of any product bearing the "FORD" name... Ford Motor Company will give royalties to employees who either design a car, a component that increases the market value of a car, or even comes up with a new manufacturing process that reduces the overall cost or time required to build the production model. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Now this is where it is different with a "ghost writer." A ghost writer has no legal liability. A person who hires a ghost writer is bound to whatever the terms of a single contract between them and the sucker ghost writer, and a second contract between them and the publisher. The "author" (meaning the person who hired the ghost writer) bears all responsibility for the content of the book, including any claims of libel or slander. The actual writer has nothing to lose but only a well-defined finite gain in wealth. "Ghost writing" is a quick way to snag some easy money but doesn't do much for the advancement of one's writing career. Clancey's wife signed a non-disclosure agreement with both her husband and the publisher... which is why during the divorce, she wasn't entitled to any total royalties for any of the books she actually wrote.

I should be more specific in my complaint. I don't have a problem with the actual ghostwriter, quite the opposite. They're still writers, and I respect that.

It's the celebrities... when you buy a book from someone you like, or admire, or whatever, only to find that not one word was actually written by that person... and yet they act like they did all the work... that's what bothers me. :(