Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 8/27/2017 at 0:30 AM, munlander1 said:

I hate online assignments with texts and audio. The worst part is that you can't skip the audio. You have to wait for it to completely finish.

Back when I used to work at Gamestop, they "offered" us an invitation to a survey site that offered Gamestop gift cards as rewards. Wow... What an "offer".

-First off, the site typically offered anywhere between a few cents to a couple dollars per survey. Most were a few cents.

-Second, since they are looking to fulfill particular demographics, you had to actually fit their demographic to get passed the survey intro...
 You typically got 5-10 cents for trying, even if rejected.

-Third... Occasionally, surveys would offer between $5 and 10... Except they'd make you sit through a series of UNSKIPPABLE video clips!
 You reminded me of this...

-Well, those videos (or any survey at random), would often not even work if they launched in the wrong browser...
 And would count as viewed and skipped already, if you tried opening them again in the correct browser!?! 

-Even WORSE, was the times when you sat through 30 minutes of ads or TV show or movie trailers (and they were always garbage)...
 Only to be told that you didn't fit the demographic... and they'd give you a pittance of 10-25 cents, after luring you to watch their junk with the $10 bait... 

-In the end, if you powered through and went for the Gamestop gift card... It could only be redeemed at 50% the value rate of the restaurant and travel cards...
If you earned $50 in reward value, you could only buy a $25 Gamestop gift card with it, vs a $50 airline gift card... :mad:

Needless to say, I quit that garbage and never looked back. :huh:

**EDIT**

And you need to understand, with these video surveys... They weren't just making people watch couple videos and then asking a few demographic questions... They were basically sneaking in the bulk of the survey in BEFORE the demographic questions... It was totally a scam to lure more clicks, get the survey results they wanted, and bail without paying the big payouts. I actually filed a complaint with the company over it, and cited the blatant abuse of the system to game results without paying, and the fact that the survey site repeatedly accepted those bogus surveys, AS my reason for quitting.

Edited by richfiles

So, a few years ago, I went to London. One of the things that I really wanted to see was the RAF Hendon museum. And in the RAF museum lies the single surviving Hawker Typhoon - My favourite aircraft.

Turns out that the Typhoon is no longer at that museum. It's currently on the other side of the Atlantic, on loan to Canada... Also, we spent too much time in the first hangar, and missed out on seeing the Battle of Britain hangar.

A few weeks ago, I got to return to London, and we went back to the museum, hoping to see the Battle of Britain hangar this time.

Nope.

Turns out it's not currently open to the public due to renovation.

Maybe next year... :(

14 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Courses that need an online code from a book to work.

@adsii1970 I hope you don't make courses like that. :)

To be honest, I did try on-line textbook resources for one semester back in 2008; vowed I would never do that again. Not only was there a problem with lost or forgotten codes by the students, but Macmillan Publishers wouldn't sell just the on-line key. It forced students to buy new textbooks. And the problem is with that is the new textbook cost nearly $145.00 U.S. Personally, it is a rip-off for the students and is really inconsiderate for the instructors to assign such texts. :huh:

In all fairness and disclosure, the campus bookstore normally shares 5 to 7.5% of all book sales profits with the local college/university. I've been "disciplined" for including the ISBN numbers for my textbooks on each course syllabus I do. In fact, the administration gave up sanctioning me when I told them I was not going to budge. I can do that, even though I do not have tenure at either place I teach, simply because I teach courses that others normally do not have the background to teach. They also backed down after two years because my student evaluations have always been in the top 7% of all instructors at both campuses. So that gives me some power. The ISBN number gives the student the ability to shop for textbooks on-line, sometimes saving as much as 70% on the cost of books.

What's even more sad is that both the local university I teach on-line classes for and the community college I also teach at has contracts with several on-line content sites. I can find just as good materials for my students that are free to access, and if I cannot find it there, I can always find stuff on YouTube... Why not use these resources instead of forcing the student to pay a lot of money for something they will only use for 16 weeks of their life.  It makes no sense to me.

College is expensive enough, I do not need to add an additional financial burden or stress to my students.

</rant>

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

College is expensive enough, I do not need to add an additional financial burden or stress to my students.

If only more teachers understood that. :/

Anyway, even thought I don't go to your college, thank you on behalf of your students for your consideration of our finances.

41 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

If only more teachers understood that. :/

Anyway, even thought I don't go to your college, thank you on behalf of your students for your consideration of our finances.

It also comes from my own experience. The first semester of graduate school working towards my Ph.D., I spent $1,700 + on books for ONE SEMESTER! That's when I realized to be so smart I was an idiot.

Mind if I add to this complaint chain of textbooks?

Why are American textbooks so filled with fluff? Like really, I bet it doubles the necessary size for a textbook. Also, according to my father who grew up in the Netherlands during the 60s and 70s, apparently the textbooks were not particularly thick, more like a decent novel thickness. That seems quite nice.

Also, really hate the expense.400 something dollars or so for the year, I believe.  And I'm only in high school, not even financially independent!

20 hours ago, qzgy said:

Mind if I add to this complaint chain of textbooks?

Why are American textbooks so filled with fluff? Like really, I bet it doubles the necessary size for a textbook. Also, according to my father who grew up in the Netherlands during the 60s and 70s, apparently the textbooks were not particularly thick, more like a decent novel thickness. That seems quite nice.

Also, really hate the expense.400 something dollars or so for the year, I believe.  And I'm only in high school, not even financially independent!

yeah! and my history textbook from last year had 3 SENTANCES of the GREATEST TECHNOLOGICAL ACHEIVEMENT OF ALL TIME (Space stuff)\

20 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

yeah! and my history textbook from last year had 3 SENTANCES of the GREATEST TECHNOLOGICAL ACHEIVEMENT OF ALL TIME (Space stuff)\

Uhh, the mun moon landings?

phylactery

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

Uhh, the mun moon landings?

Next thing you know, the textbooks are gonna start suggesting flat farther youtube channels for their online courses, and will be claiming the mun moon is a hologram and that we never actually landed on it, and the gubmint wasted tons of money, and you should be a farmer, and you should be a farmer, and YOU should be a farmer...

Oh wait... I think I saw that movie once. :rolleyes:

I would like to reiterate my belief that flat earthers and mun moon hoaxers need to have boarding be budgeted into all future space flights... Launches only... No return trips! :P

My thing to complain about... Guilt... I feel incredible, soul-crushing guilt for forgetting to tell all you guys there was a custom keycap set (orders ended today) that had an epic "RIP JEB" key, in light green, no less! The keycap set also had planet keys. PLANET keys... With pictures of the planets!  I feel awful for forgetting about it. I hope anyone who had an interest already knew about it. If not... I feel even worse for dangling the carrot and yanking it heartlessly away... :/

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

I would like to reiterate my belief that flat earthers and mun moon hoaxers need to have boarding be budgeted into all future space flights... Launches only... No return trips! :P

My thing to complain about... Guilt... I feel incredible, soul-crushing guilt for forgetting to tell all you guys there was a custom keycap set (orders ended today) that had an epic "RIP JEB" key, in light green, no less! The keycap set also had planet keys. PLANET keys... With pictures of the planets!  I feel awful for forgetting about it. I hope anyone who had an interest already knew about it. If not... I feel even worse for dangling the carrot and yanking it heartlessly away... :/

That is actually a really effective way of teaching the populace. You also save weight, so it's cheaper!

About the second thing. Aww. Oh well then. I can't buy it anyway though. Where was it from though?

It was a part of the Godspeed keycap set from Massdrop. Complete space themed nerd out set... Done though. Sometimes they carry spares during their annual clearance (they order extras to deal with stuff like lost or damaged items in shipping, etc)... But if that happens... Probably won't be till October-ish... 2018.

5 minutes ago, richfiles said:

It was a part of the Godspeed keycap set from Massdrop. Complete space themed nerd out set... Done though. Sometimes they carry spares during their annual clearance (they order extras to deal with stuff like lost or damaged items in shipping, etc)... But if that happens... Probably won't be till October-ish... 2018.

Hmm. Maybe I might have a mechanical keyboard by then.

Am on Massdrop though, so I've requested it.

I've got this Indian sounding guy who keeps calling me with different phone numbers, telling me he's from a Microsoft certified partner and that there's a problem with my windows computer.

His little scam runs head long into one tiny problem...

I'm a computer sales associate/repair technician. I sell and fix PCs at Staples for a living.

This leaves me with a few advantages over his normal mark:

#1 If there was something seriously wrong with my PC, I'D KNOW IT! 

#2 I know Microsoft and Apple's customer service polices inside out. I know they would never (willingly) pass out my personal information to anyone. 

So I let him praddle on and then threaten to call the cops and hang up.

Edited by KamenRiderzero1

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

School is starting soon, summer is ending, etc, etc. The good news? It's not on a Monday. Rather, it's a Tuesday.

In the same boat.

I DONT WANNA GO BACK! MY KSP IS TOO PRECIOUS!! NUUUU!!!!

Also -

4 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I want potato-flavored pop tarts.

Why? Potato is kinda bland.