Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

20 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

When I was 19, giggly girls were the bomb.... :cool:

I had the greatest girlfriend in high school. Super cute and really,  really smart, and like a dumbS I blew it and lost her. If I had a TARDIS I would go back and kick my own butt for being so stupid.

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I had the greatest girlfriend in high school. Super cute and really,  really smart, and like a dumbS I blew it and lost her. If I had a TARDIS I would go back and kick my own butt for being so stupid.

Um, can I borrow the TARDIS when you're done with it? Yeah, I'd go back and kick my own butt, too... for the loss of a great girlfriend and a whole lot more...

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I've dated a lot of women in my life. And of every one of them I can very certainly say that, in the long run, it was for the best that it didn't work out. Except for two. One I am now happily married to. The other was a girl I knew in high school, one of the first girls I ever dated. All I can really say of her is that if I hadn't screwed things up with her, my life would have turned out radically different than it did.

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I've dated a lot of women in my life. And of every one of them I can very certainly say that, in the long run, it was for the best that it didn't work out. Except for two. One I am now happily married to. The other was a girl I knew in high school, one of the first girls I ever dated. All I can really say of her is that if I hadn't screwed things up with her, my life would have turned out radically different than it did.

My track record with relationships is... well... terrible. I'm much better off single and slightly crazy... lol.  :confused:

But besides the girlfriend I mentioned earlier... there is one woman that I'll never, ever forget, or stop thinking about... and it's something I still complain about to myself... so I suppose it's on-topic... sort of.

When I was 14... I think... yeah... it was 1976, and I was nuts about a girl named Lisa, who lived across the street from my grandmother. I can't remember her last name anymore, but she had the biggest, brownest eyes...  I'm not sure when we even met... it's like she was always there growing up, and I'm pretty sure she felt as close to me as I did to her. We spent every minute together... in fact I think we were already a couple, just hadn't really figured it out yet. Had things been different, I would have gladly spent my life with her. 

But that year two things happened that changed everything... my Mom remarried and we moved... and her father got transferred, and she also moved... and I never saw her again. To this day I wonder what ever happened to her, how she is... and even though my life would have ended up radically different, I still wonder what would have happened if reality hadn't split us up. 

And when I think about it, like now.. I find I sometimes really hate reality... :mad:

Boy do I have a complaint... My landlord is claiming that I'm costing over $1000 a month in electricity. She is suggesting I "get rid of all my computer stuff"... Yeah, I smell a big steaming pile of BULL here... I have an extensive collection of vintage calculators and computer hardware. Multiple display shelves with stuff... NONE of it plugged in. :mad:

My ACTUAL computer is a quad i7. If I measure the watts consumed by EVERYTHING on my computer desk (this includes the cable modem, router, TiVo, and all my various computer and video accessories, including video games and chargers and their standby power consumption... I get 400 watts idle and 450 watts with my CPU at 100% usage.

Even with my CPU at 100%, 24/7... 0.45 kw/h x 24 x 30 = 324 kW/H per month. At 13.3 cents per kW/H, that's about $43 per month, if I MAX my CPU 24/7 for a month. That cost includes everything for my entire computer and entertainment center. If I turn on the TV and surround sound, it adds 260 watts, but I use my computer far more than my TV lately. I figure, even if I watch 8 hours of TV a day, every day, it only adds another $8 per month. My Air conditioner draws 1040 watts per hour, but I rarely run it for more than 2-6 hours at a time, depending on temperatures... but lets just say... I ran it constantly (I don't) it could not POSSIBLY add more than $100 per month to my bill. Realistically, I doubt I run it more than 8 hours a day, and that would be about $33 a month.

Needless to say, the claims that I am costing "over $1000 per month" are big ol' steamin' pile o' bull patties.

Either the apartment provided stove, refrigerator, or the actual building wiring is malfunctioning, or an error was made either recording to calculating the meter charges... If there's a fault... Then that's a fire hazard, and it's MOST DEFINITELY not anything I have causing it... I know, cause I have two of my own kW/h + wattage meters that I can use to measure my own power usage.

I'm calling the utility company on Monday... I plan to get to the bottom of this. What I more suspect is the landlord doesn't like the stuff I have, and is coming up with a bull reason to try to coerce me into getting rid of it. It's new management (apartment was bought this past summer). I found out through other residents that new resident's rent is about 50% higher than the pre-existing renters. More than likely, she doesn't want a bunch of electronics in my place, in case the inevitable rent increases that are surely in store for my future end up with her trying to evict me, if I can't cover the costs... She doesn't want to end up with he fees to have a bunch of electronics picked up...

I'm 90% sure thats what she's actually trying to pull. I miss the old landlord. She was actually quite nice.

Edited by richfiles

3 hours ago, richfiles said:

Needless to say, the claims that I am costing "over $1000 per month" are big ol' steamin' pile o' bull patties.

$1000 a month? For an apartment??? No way... absolutely no way.

Honestly, there is only one way I can think of to burn up that much electricity in one month, and it's still illegal in most every state.

I would talk to the electric company, and then maybe a lawyer.

Edited by Just Jim

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

$1000 a month? For an apartment??? No way... absolutely no way.

Honestly, there is only one way I can think of to burn up that much electricity in one month, and it's still illegal in most every state.

I would talk to the electric company, and then maybe a lawyer.

That's what I say... I own two power meters, an actual Kill-A-Watt and a Belkin power meter. I KNOW my AC draws 1040 watts when the compressor pressure settles, my computer desk+entertainment center draws 400 watts with my computer at idle, my Tivo, all the computer accessories, and all three monitors on. At peak CPU, it goes up to 450 watts. I've determined the monitors together draw 110 watts. If I use the computer actively for 10 hours a day on average (with the monitors on), and the rest of the day let it run 24/7 with he monitors off... I watch less TV these days, but even so, lets say I use the TV 8 hours a day, just for the sakes of an example... And the AC, I rarely run for more than 4-8 hours a day... I can't really run it too long at a time, or I risk the thing icing up, so I shut it off periodically.

0.450 - 0.110 = 0.340 (Total power for computer + monitors + accessories + TiVo combined, minus the difference turning off the monitors makes)

0.340 x 24 x 30 = 244.8 kW/h per month for the computers + TiVo + all base accessories (on 24 hours a day). $33

0.110 x 10 x 30 = 33 kW/h per month for the three monitors (assuming they are on 10 hours a day). $5

0.260 x 8 x 30 = 62.4 kW/h per month for the TV (assuming 8 hours a day). $9

1.040 x 8 x 30 = 249.6 kW/h per month for the AC (assuming 8 hours a day) $33

I know my workshop can't be using much power, as I rarely run more than lights and my soldering iron, plus maybe my small power supply and meter. It's a 50 or 60 watt iron that has probably a 50% duty cycle, so basically 25-30 watts overall. Even using my hot air gun, i measured it at 600 watts, and I maybe use it for several minutes at a time, once or twice a month... I don't use it frequently. I have a microwave, a refrigerator, a standard electric range (oven and 4 burners), and and a toaster oven. The lights are bright, about 40-50 watts of fluorescent lighting. Even assuming a full "work day" worth of time, with the lights and soldering iron on, I'm only looking at 19-20 kW/h... Even if I worked in there EVERY SINGLE DAY of the month... I'm lucky to get one or two good days of work in there every other week. It's an insignificant amount of power...

Ugh...

Clearly this is crazy. even if I ran my AC, computer, tv, and workshop 24/7... it would all add up to about a max of $175... And that's absurd... I'd never run all that stuff 24 hours a day, much less for a whole month... If that ever happens, it means I croaked. :/

My lighting is all high efficiency stuff. Most of my living room is LED, and what isn't is a few low wattage fluorescent. The kitchen is LED, and the bathroom has a combination of low intensity LED lighting and full intensity fluorescent. All other rooms are fluorescent. I don't tend to leave lights on, except for LED keyboard lighting and the workshop, when I'm working.  There's also the occasional use of tools like a drill, dremel, or my mill, and that can be weeks to months between uses. The only other devices I even run are the range, fridge, microwave and toaster oven.

I'll admit my computer and entertainment center draw more power than that of the average person, but the claims are clearly absurd.

I'm actually wondering if the landlord is misreading the billing, or something... Maybe annual costs vs monthly... it's crazy though... I'm still heavily concerned about the theory I mentioned before... Trying to "force" me to get rid of my electronics, so she can potentially evict in the future with a lower risk of electronics disposal fees.

Edited by richfiles

Wow... just wow...

I figured maybe the landlord might have read an annual energy usage report and mistaken it for a monthly, so I called back after work to check...

Nope. She says I used over 9000 kW last month...  Impossible!!! :0.0:

She says that everyone else used 800-1000 kW over a month... But me, the second the old landlord left and the new one came in, I'm suddenly using between 5K and 10K... Right... That's not me installing a server room... That's an error by the landlord. I contacted the utility company and asked for help. They told me that they only have four meters registered with the apartment. They asked if my building had 4 apartments. I told them no, the building has 12 apartments, and there are 4 total buildings: A-1, A-2, A-3, and B... Then they tell me the meters are listed as A-1, A-2, A-3, and B-1... My apartment number is B-1... but the building is only marked as building B on the lettering by the door...

Ding, ding, ding! I know what's happening. The landlord is (stupidly) attributing the B-1 meter (building B) to my SINGLE UNIT... a TWELVE APARTMENT METER... and she's pointing the finger at me...

Well, I can prove it to her... I'll shut down my computer, then have HER take a flashlight and turn off ALL my breakers, then go read the meter to see if it shows zero power usage. That, and tell her to call the utility company... If they don't call her first!

18 hours ago, richfiles said:

Wow... just wow...

I figured maybe the landlord might have read an annual energy usage report and mistaken it for a monthly, so I called back after work to check...

Nope. She says I used over 9000 kW last month...  Impossible!!! :0.0:

She says that everyone else used 800-1000 kW over a month... But me, the second the old landlord left and the new one came in, I'm suddenly using between 5K and 10K... Right... That's not me installing a server room... That's an error by the landlord. I contacted the utility company and asked for help. They told me that they only have four meters registered with the apartment. They asked if my building had 4 apartments. I told them no, the building has 12 apartments, and there are 4 total buildings: A-1, A-2, A-3, and B... Then they tell me the meters are listed as A-1, A-2, A-3, and B-1... My apartment number is B-1... but the building is only marked as building B on the lettering by the door...

Ding, ding, ding! I know what's happening. The landlord is (stupidly) attributing the B-1 meter (building B) to my SINGLE UNIT... a TWELVE APARTMENT METER... and she's pointing the finger at me...

Well, I can prove it to her... I'll shut down my computer, then have HER take a flashlight and turn off ALL my breakers, then go read the meter to see if it shows zero power usage. That, and tell her to call the utility company... If they don't call her first!

Your landlord is an idiot. No one uses a small power plant every month.

Last I checked, I got my bills from my utility company, not the landlord. Maybe its because Im in the UK but the landlord reading the meter and issuing a bill is definitely a no-no. 

If for some reason the landlord was responsible for my utilities, there's no way in heck Im legally bound unless he has documentary evidence from the utility company showing meter readings totalling that much.

Many landlords will try and "scare" people (they dont lose anything but goodwill by trying it on - I wonder, how keen is he in putting his demand in writing?) into just paying up because most people will just pay to make it go away, or they assume their rights dont protect them.

I've had a few disputes in my day with landlords, and usually, as soon as you say "Show me the reciepts." or "Would you like to see this copy of some meter readings?" suddenly they are all about negotiations...

The other edge of that sword though, is that, if he has paperwork and you dont, you're screwed.

If you were in the UK there are several official organisations that will mediate, and also enforce any outcome. In the UK the law errs heavily on the side of the tenant if there is any doubt.

Edited by p1t1o

Electric is "included" in rent for me, as in I pay rent, and no separate utilities. Her "issue" (beyond epic levels of "teh stoopid") is that since "my meter" is so much higher, I should be responsible for it... Good Lord, is she dense! Denser than Kerbin! :rolleyes:

This craziness is why I went directly to the utility company. If they can't straighten her out. I'll have no choice but to take it to a court and have a judge knock "teh stoopid" out of her with his gavel! :sticktongue:

I miss having my own house. Employer got bought out in 2009, and our location liquidated. My replacement jobs kept reducing hours, till I had to give up on the mortgage, and take cheap housing... since 2012 to today, rent has gone up from a little over $300 to around $600. Still have not managed to make it back to my old income levels, even working two jobs. It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

Electric is "included" in rent for me, as in I pay rent, and no separate utilities.

Got that in writing? No written agreed upon upper limit? What is to stop you just ignoring them? Its not your problem they cant read meters.

Wait, Please tell me that your landlord doesnt personally have possession of your security deposit?

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

This is why I own my own home. Reality creates enough problems for me without other people making up new ones out of whole cloth.

Getting on that ladder just as soon as blinking possible.

Thats not the reason though, the reason is when you pay a months rent, it lasts a month and its gone for good. When you pay a mortgage, you get to keep the house!

1 hour ago, richfiles said:

I miss having my own house. Employer got bought out in 2009, and our location liquidated. My replacement jobs kept reducing hours, till I had to give up on the mortgage, and take cheap housing... since 2012 to today, rent has gone up from a little over $300 to around $600. Still have not managed to make it back to my old income levels, even working two jobs. It's ridiculous.

I've lost my job before, man its harsh.

On 15/09/2017 at 7:17 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Giggly girls. 

Nuff said. 

Giggly Girl? Whats that? Sounds familiar...

To all people who stomp music into our daily lives, please stop playing Despacito, im 100% sure that at least 3 billion of those views on YouTube are from that of our local radio station or something. Modern pop is good and catchy at first glance, but when simulair songs from the same genre gets played over and over and over and over and over it gets annoying. Its time to play something else, something hip and 'swag', but no more overrated 'normie' stuff.

Someone locked up a female student the mens toilet, now the male students cant go dispose their waste. (She escaped but now its still locked)

Sometimes people are just, weird.

Edited by NSEP