Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

This stupid cold won't go away!!!  :P

Augh, I hate that. We went on a cruise back at the end of August and I came down with cruise crud right after we got home. Now it's almost three weeks later and I'm still hacky.

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Augh, I hate that. We went on a cruise back at the end of August and I came down with cruise crud right after we got home. Now it's almost three weeks later and I'm still hacky.

Cruise crud... yucchhhh.... That's sort of what this is like... maybe I should call it the Hurricane heaves???

Hurricane Jose (technically a high-end tropical storm now) has been stalling off the Northeast coast for a while now, and the constantly cloudy skies are a bit of a nuisance. It's making everything feel like October and not late summer. However, believe it or not, Jose has been rather good! It's not too hot here now, the breezes are nice...wait, am I saying positive things on a thread meant for complaints? What am I doing here?!

Hahahaha!!! :lol:
The landlord never even showed up to my apartment to "inspect" all the "computers" I must have plugged in! :rolleyes:

I went to the utility company on Monday. They circled their number on a rates pamphlet, wrote the name of someone at the office and told me to give it to the landlord and have her call them. I called the landlord and let her know the Utility company wished to speak with her, and relayed the number and the name...

Not only did she not show up for her "inspection", but she hasn't even contacted me in the past two days now! I suspect she's quite embarrassed. :D

Edited by richfiles
Oh dear! I'm not complaining either! Must me contagious!

Came up 2nd for a really great job.... 3 rounds of selection, starting from hundreds of applicants, and made it to the final 2. I haven't gotten farther than a 1st telephone interview for any other positions after getting my PhD...

The reason I didn't get it... the 2nd interview was entirely about personality, and apparently they couldn't get a read on my personality, and had some concerns that I was inauthentic, or talked about technical rather than personal stuff too much during the interview... what a load of BS.

And my fiancee is getting really tired of me not having a job...

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Came up 2nd for a really great job.... 3 rounds of selection, starting from hundreds of applicants, and made it to the final 2. I haven't gotten farther than a 1st telephone interview for any other positions after getting my PhD...

The reason I didn't get it... the 2nd interview was entirely about personality, and apparently they couldn't get a read on my personality, and had some concerns that I was inauthentic, or talked about technical rather than personal stuff too much during the interview... what a load of BS.

And my fiancee is getting really tired of me not having a job...

That sucks. But, on the other hand, look at it this way: If they're such a bunch of knuckleheads that they're going to drop you because of that, do you really want to work for them?

I remember when I was interviewing for jobs in South Africa. I got an interview with a company, and everything went great. I was totally qualified, I hit it off great with the manager interviewing me, I looked like a shoe-in. After it was all done they said, "Oh, one more thing, we have all of our applicants take a personality test, it's about 50 questions, only takes a couple of minutes, could you just fill this out before you go." Sure, no problem. I fill it out, it's the usual silly personality test questions, I hand it to the receptionist on the way out. The manager calls me a couple of days later, "Sorry, we'd really like to offer you the position, but the results of the personality test indicate that you'd be a poor fit for our company." WTH? So I actually wound up taking a position with one of their competitors, and this is contract work and I wind up just killing it for them, all the clients love me and ask for me. At the company Christmas party I'm chatting with my boss over drinks and it comes up that that I had interviewed with this other company and that they had turned me down over this dumb test, and she's all, "AYFKM? Well, obviously that system is broken."

2 hours ago, tater said:

Apparently morbid obesity is a handicap.

I hate this with a passion I can't even begin to describe. I care for an aged family member who is permanently disabled with appropriate tag and is wheelchair bound. I just love all the walking wounded who take up the handicap spots, when they're perfectly capable of walking an extra 50 or 100 feet to get into a store. Maybe if they walked they'd shed some of that weight from their fat arses and thunder thighs. I take such issue with it, I check the expiry dates on the hanging placards when I see such as you did; It's one of the few things I find today's cell phones worthy of... documenting abusers. Hit them where it hurts: in the wallet, plus potential loss of their placard... and 90 days of community service will help shed some of those pounds. The townships love it when you help out as such too, those fines are revenue for them.

:wink:

Yeah, the number of legitimately handicapped people I see in such spaces is quite low. My mom had one before she died because while she looked fine, she couldn't walk far (metastatic breast cancer), so while I cut people slack for lack of a visible handicap, the number I see who are merely fat is too high for them to all also be badly ill. 

Maybe if they were all legit, they could have fewer spaces, too.

Edited by tater

38 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, the number of legitimately handicapped people I see in such spaces is quite low.

I see this a lot as well, and it infuriates me. I'm on disability, but I don't use handicapped spots... Mostly because I'm a stubborn, grouchy old man, and as long as I can still walk with a cane, I want no special privileges. And when I see someone who is clearly NOT handicapped or disabled using a handicapped spot... That's when I want to take my cane upside their head! :mad:

Handicapped parking availability is usually pretty decent around where I live.
It's rare for every handicap space to be unavailable, except maybe when there's only one or two, or one exceptionally busy days.

My mother doesn't drive anymore, but has one of those hanging handicapped parking cards for the rearview mirror. About a decade and a half ago, she fell down some steps... Shattered her ankle and literally twisted her foot sideways. I STILL have a deep seated disgust for the doctor that handled her injury... FOUR HOURS, he let her sit... The ER was EMPTY. No other emergencies. It was late, and there was no queue for any of the radiology equipment... I watched this... not gonna say what I think of him... CHAT with other hospital staff just around the corner, all while my mother's foot slowly deteriorated, because that whole "being put on sideways" bit just so happened to have cut the circulation.  

FOUR HOURS after she had been admitted, he FINALLY set the severe dislocation, but by then, the nerves in her foot were long gone. See, the foot was on the side of the tibia's end, as opposed to being on the END of the tibia, like it was supposed to. The skin was stretched so taught that it cut off circulation, killed most of the nerves, and left the skin so bad off, that it basically just became a huge open wound of necrotic tissue that was bigger than the palm of my hand. It grew to nearly double the size, before it finally started to begin healing. Healing took four months. She had to sell her house for next to nothing, just to get out of the expenses. Took two years for her disability to get approved, not for lack of MORE hospital idiocy... At some point, they did some sort of psych evaluation to check for depression or something (no offense, but a permanent life changing disability is pretty danged depressing, regardless)... Apparently, the doctor used speech recognition dictation, and had noted her hobbies as "Arts and crafts, quilting, and cocaine"... :/ She had actually said crocheting. (And I can't belive I spelled that correctly) That one little "hiccup" took MONTHS to have fixed, and actually delayed some of her surgeries! :0.0: The lack of mobility has actually been very bad for her weight. It's hard to "walk it off", when walking itself is difficult. She had a gastric bypass, just to try to maintain rather than gain. It's a genetic thing in out family too... She has a garden, raises her own greens, fruits and veggies... and still, she can't hardly shed a pound, even with the gastric bypass. That compounds, and means the arthritis in her ankles, knees, and hips gets worse yet... It really is a no win situation. That's part of why she still walks around the store, rather than use the little scooter carts to get around. It's why she still goes out and tends her own garden... Anything to get some movement into her life, even if it hurts.

If I'm not mistaken, I think her ankle has a range of motion that's less than 20°. Walking is very painful for her if she has to do it for extended periods of time, but she still does walk. I do try to park close for her, but more often than not, rather than use the handicapped parking spaces and dig for the card, I usually just let her off at the door, find a place to park, and then catch up with her... Which needless to say... Is actually usually rather easy... :rolleyes:

Edited by richfiles

10 hours ago, TheSaint said:

That sucks. But, on the other hand, look at it this way: If they're such a bunch of knuckleheads that they're going to drop you because of that, do you really want to work for them?

So I actually wound up taking a position with one of their competitors, and this is contract work and I wind up just killing it for them, ... it comes up that that I had interviewed with this other company and that they had turned me down over this dumb test, and she's all, "AYFKM? Well, obviously that system is broken."

Yea, I still do want to work for them. The company in question is a rather large Pharmaceutical company.

The position would have had an 80k start salary and been a 4 day work week. After the 1st year, it would have been bumped to 88k. I'm trying other pharma companies, but... I doubt I'll get close to a job that cushy again.

I was also quite annoyed at how slowly they moved... I applied back in March for an April application deadline. Early june they told me that I was 1 of 15 selected (out of ~300) to to a written exercise (but it was short, a 200 word limit). I was selected for an interview (6 people made it to this step) which was scheduled in mid/early July. I nailed that interview which was on technical aspects of the job, scientific knowledge, and reasoning skills. I was the 3rd of 6 to interview, and I'm 95% sure that I did better than anyone else. They started with a logic problem, which I solved correctly, and they commented that it was "fast" (I don't know if it was fastest, but they weren't sitting there with a stop watch... so...). They asked me to explain some science stuff in the next 2 questions, I did and they said I gave the best explanations "so far" (I was #3 of 6). Then they showed me some technical documents, and asked why something was phrased a certain way - I answered correctly, and then added the specific article number of the convention that specified the rule... which garnered a surprised look on the face of the boss (there were 3 interviewing), who commented "exactly right!". I'm sure that none of the others cited article 53 of that convention in their answer!

Then they scheduled the 2nd interview for mid-August. It was an all day interview. It started with another written exercise, but then changed to interviews with groups of 2 people at a time from different groups in the company, all asking questions about "soft skills".

Crud like: "tell me about a time when you had to keep a secret", "tell me about a time when you were pushing hard for results", "tell me about a time when you had to publicly admit a mistake", "tell me about an unusual or novel idea that you've had", "tell me about a time that you collaborated on something", "tell me about a time when you were brain storming". I tried to give academic/professional answers to all of them. Sometimes they asked for more personal answers, and I gave them when asked.

Then 2 weeks later, they tell me that I didn't get the job.

One guy was willing to talk with me about why I didn't/what my weaknesses were. He said that it was very close, and that maybe if it had been a different day, or different people from the groups had been chosen to interview, that I may have got the job. He started off saying a lot of positive things. He also said he was surprised at how differently the opinions were of me from the various interviewers. Apparently the meeting to select a candidate lasted 2 hours, and people were "butting heads", and it was the "most difficult decision" they've had to make since they started the program some years ago... but concerns that were brought up about me were that I seemed inauthentic/I was trying to give them the answer that I thought they wanted instead of a genuine answer/ that I tried to shift the conversation to technical rather* than personal aspects (I'll give them this one, but isn't that called being professional???)/ that they had concerns that maybe I had too strong of a personality (but they couldn't really tell) - so much for trying to appear confident: by the way, the success and failure of the position depends on being able to argue and defend one's point of view, and many in the field regard this as an asset.**

He said ultimately they couldn't really judge my personality, and weren't sure how I'd fit with the team or the multicultural/international atmosphere - maybe if they'd bothered to ask questions about that, they'd know. As far as multicultural/international atmosphere... it should be obvious that I would do fine. I'm from a very diverse part of California, my mother is a Jamaican immigrant to the US. I spent the last 10 years of my life living in Switzerland, both the german speaking and french speaking parts of it. My fiancee is Italian - the job is in Switzerland... I think I do fine in an international setting!

The interview format was determined by HR... some of the interviewers seemed like they didn't like it, and sort of began with almost a sigh and some statement that they're supposed to conduct the interview in this format.

Anyway, they say they'd like to hire 2 people instead of just one, and if they have it in the budget they'll open a 2nd position with an accelerated hiring process and I could reapply and possibly skip the 1st/2nd selection round to start before march of next year, but they won't know if they get the budget for the 2nd position until the end of next month... so all hope isn't lost, but its still damn depressing

* The guy cited, as an example of a technical rather than personal answer that was perhaps inauthentic, my response to his question about an unusual or novel idea that I had. I have him not 1, but 2  scientific ideas... I really can't think of any other answers that I could have given him. That's the kind of person I am, what did he expect some idea for a costume party?! I could not have given a more authentic answer, and it was cited as an example of an answer that made me come across as inauthentic.

** In the letter of recommendation that I supplied them with, it said: "[KerikBalm] has an assertive personality, and forms strong opinions which he is able to argue in a sincere and non-confrontational manner.  I found this a positive asset.  He is equally able to respect and accept other views when these gain a consensus and are not aligned with his. 
In my opinion, [KerikBalm] has appropriate personal and professional characteristics to pursue a career in [this field] and I would have no hesitation in recommending him for a position within the field."

I don't know about an "assertive personality" and "strong opinions", I'm actually pretty reserved. I do like to debate technical and intellectual stuff, but as far as personal stuff and social events, I'm very reserved. Apparently this section of the letter gave them concerns which I didn't assuage during the interview.

6 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Guess who has just got freaking cold!

Same here! Suddenly everyone i know gets a cold?

I can't even smell and breathe properly with my nose anymore, its clogged.

I was a big fan of Transformers franchise until    :P     transformers the last knight movie so just want this to be short and concise.

Spoiler Alert - It's a $200 million worth piece [snip] with some old nuggets on top.

If you still want to watch it, here you go: Transformers The Last Knight 

Edited by Vanamonde
Mind the language, please.

My headphone jack broke and is stuck inside my Ipad. Thats not the buggest problem though.

The big problem is that the IOS does not even have the feature to toggle between speaker and headphones manually so i can still have sound. This is driving me crazy right now. Whenever find a fix IOS comes in and defends all the usefull valves and buttons because they think im 4 years old.

Oh and what sucks even more is that 99,99% of all the people that actually try to help want to get jack out of the hole, and not to get the speakers working.

Edited by NSEP

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

My headphone jack broke and is stuck inside my Ipad. Thats not the buggest problem though.

The big problem is that the IOS does not even have the feature to toggle between speaker and headphones manually so i can still have sound. This is driving me crazy right now. Whenever find a fix IOS comes in and defends all the usefull valves and buttons because they think im 4 years old.

Oh and what sucks even more is that 99,99% of all the people that actually try to help want to get jack out of the hole, and not to get the speakers working.

Thing is, getting the jack out of the hole WILL get your speakers working. There's a contact switch inside the socket that disables the speakers when there is something inserted in the jack. Anything else is just a hack. clearing the socket is a fix. Heck, you can probably replace the socket for a few bucks, if you're willing to put in the work. If people are offering a fix for your problem... Maybe let them fix it.

Try a VERY TINY dab of super glue on the tip of a toothpick. Insert it so it touches the stuck jack, and when it's had a moment to cure, pull it straight and gently out. Don't use too much, or you could make it worse though.

Edited by richfiles

some stuff as well

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soumission_librement_consentie

Spoiler

"Freely consented submission is the translation of Robert-Vincent Joule and Jean-Léon Beauvois (1987) from a concept of social psychology introduced by Jonathan L. Freedman and Scott C. Fraser in 1966 to describe the consequence of a process of persuasion which leads to the impression to the individuals concerned that they are the authors of certain decisions. In this way, a person could change his or her behavior, goals and choices with a sense of responsibility for these changes."

no meta link but i guess theres some equivalence all around ... any way(s)

I am sat here in amazement, or shock,

Work have sent me a holiday request form to fill out by email.  I have been emailing in my timesheets for some time.

But this time they want me to email them a holday form..... but what they have sent me is a document file, docx..... that contains a screenshot of adobe reader with the holiday form pdf open in it.....  why not just send me the pdf?  Or even the screenshot as a picture, not a document file.

utter imbeciles.  Why do I work for them?

31 minutes ago, Kokoro said:

I am sat here in amazement, or shock,

Work have sent me a holiday request form to fill out by email.  I have been emailing in my timesheets for some time.

But this time they want me to email them a holday form..... but what they have sent me is a document file, docx..... that contains a screenshot of adobe reader with the holiday form pdf open in it.....  why not just send me the pdf?  Or even the screenshot as a picture, not a document file.

utter imbeciles.  Why do I work for them?

The only thing that is missing is them taking the "screenshot" by photographing their monitor with their phone.