Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

7 hours ago, munlander1 said:

It's amazing how similar some European languages are.

Dutch

Deutsch.

Even the names are similar...

And that makes a good amount of sense. The Netherlands is real close to Germany. Although, so is France...

1 hour ago, munlander1 said:

In German, "interessant" has a French accent for the "-ant".

Yeah. There are a number of french loanwords in German as well.

I took 5 semesters of German in High School. I'm no expert in German, but I do have some experience with it.

Edited by Bill Phil

i m just gonna count to ten and bite ? oh well ... linguistic ... 555 arggggg & i l ove wömen ... (not sure if chineese or ahmarique) sabir pidgin ... bb lone mess ... not sure if historcally induced pun at each others population to spreads the wars or leaving together  ...  pre internet and sat network or else

cro magnon caverns .VS nehandertal caverns ... round one fights .... well well ...

that's long ago it seem ... old habits are not always good habits imho ...

& while the individual/comon  neuro scheme "expanse" aspect of melting historical sparse lingusitic leave a little hope we may succeed being earth citizen and universe(s) citizen somedays ... ...

i do like to see the universe as a floating micro organism in the primordial soup waiting  to meet an others at it's/their own paces [time scale, size scale]

distance between the two or more being so huge that the photons from one or another just fade away on the road for human scales perceptions [time,lifespan,size]

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
quote and typo a missing o ... well ... etc ... neuro schemes mess no idea ...

23 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Second year right now.

Wie viel deutch weist du jetzt?

Let's see...

Ich weiss weniger Deutsch als meine Zeit in "Hoch Schule." Ich kann mehr Deutsch lernen, aber, es gibt zu viel Arbeit für das. Deutschklasse war sehr Spaß für mir.

In any case, this is the English forum...

On 02/12/2017 at 12:04 AM, Bill Phil said:

Dutch

Deutsch.

And that makes a good amount of sense. The Netherlands is real close to Germany. Although, so is France...

The Dutch language stole alot of words from the French. Portemonee for example.

10 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

my future high school's foosball team won a game

Your high school-to-be has a foosball team? That's amazing! I didn't know competitive foosball was a thing.

5 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Y'all complaining about European languages and stuff while I have to learn Russian, which is practically one of the most difficult languages to learn.

Not really, it kind of has the same laws (tenses, genders, etc) that many other languages have, and it even gives you near-total liberty with word positioning:

Маша очень лубит печенье.

Masha really likes cookies.

Печенье очень лубит Маша.

Cookies really likes Masha.

Лубит очень Маша печенье.

Likes very Masha cookies.

Oчень лубит Маша печенье.

Very likes Masha cookies.

Oчень печенье лубит Маша.

Very cookies likes Masha.

Only one of the sentences written above makes sense in English. However, every single one of these sentences make complete sense in Russian, and can be used in conversation.

Edited by Matuchkin

1 minute ago, Matuchkin said:

Not really, it kind of has the same laws (tenses, genders, etc) that many other languages have, and it even gives you near-total liberty with word positioning:

Лубит очень Маша печенье.

Likes very Masha cookies.

Oчень лубит Маша печенье.

Very likes Masha cookies.

Oчень печенье лубит Маша.

Very cookies likes Masha.

Only one of the sentences written above makes sense in English. However, every single one of these sentences make complete sense in Russian, and can be used in conversation.

Actually just the 1st, 3rd and 4th are making sense.

12 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

As for my own complaint?

i HATE it WHEN peoPLE read SHAKE, speare IN iAMbic PENtaME, ter NOT reAliSING that IT'S, suPPOSED to BE read NORmaLLY.

Well, it is what's used in the plays for the most part. Only issue is that we talk in iambs, and purposely stressing a syllable shouldn't be necessary.

Also, Romeo and Juliet's first dialogue together is a shakespearean sonnet...

14 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Well, it is what's used in the plays for the most part. Only issue is that we talk in iambs, and purposely stressing a syllable shouldn't be necessary.

Here's the thing. In most of his plays, the average dialogue is performed as normal dialogue: some sections aren't even written in IP. Other plays, such as his Henriads (which kick butt compared to his other more famous ones, in my opinion), are written in a way that only the nobility/main characters speak poetically. Quite interesting, but you certainly can't read/script every Shakespeare play with IP in mind.

15 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Also, Romeo and Juliet's first dialogue together is a shakespearean sonnet...

Well that's a sonnet. It's deliberately meant to be a poem which rhythm in mind.

Edited by Matuchkin

28 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Here's the thing. In most of his plays, the average dialogue is performed as normal dialogue: some sections aren't even written in IP. Other plays, such as his Henriads (which kick butt compared to his other more famous ones, in my opinion), are written in a way that only the nobility/main characters speak poetically. Quite interesting, but you certainly can't read/script every Shakespeare play with IP in mind.

Well that's a sonnet. It's deliberately meant to be a poem which rhythm in mind.

Yeah... you have to remember that Shakespeare isn't very well taught in most schools, at least in the US. A lot of lies to children, even to teenagers. Although a good number don't even know what iambic pentameter is... at least when I was in high school, so they just read it normally.

Of course it's a sonnet. It's just a cool aspect of the play. 

29 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Yeah... you have to remember that Shakespeare isn't very well taught in most schools, at least in the US. A lot of lies to children, even to teenagers. Although a good number don't even know what iambic pentameter is... at least when I was in high school, so they just read it normally.

What I think people fail to realise is the simplicity of Shakespearean plays. If you translate them perfectly into modern-day formal English (quite simple, considering that Elizabethan English is essentially a slightly altered version of modern English, with a few more phrases/sayings that aren't used anymore), most of his plays would seem to be the equivalent of today's films (i.e. The Taming of the Shrew would probably have the same humorous and literary qualities as My Big Fat Greek Wedding, while Romeo and Juliet will have so many cliches that it will be be criticised more than any other literary work [a lot of modern romance tales have elements from that play]). Shakespeare's plays outline simple, linear plots with single themes, and every emotion, thought, etc of the characters is stated very explicitly, as is every theme.

Personally, I believe that it is less important to learn Shakespeare than, say - Tolstoy (he's especially important), Remarque, maybe Dante, Pushkin, and the like. I haven't read through Chekhov (I did watch Uncle Vanya once) or Dostoevsky yet, but I really should.

On 01/12/2017 at 6:04 PM, Bill Phil said:

Dutch

Deutsch.

Surprise

Surpresa

Surprise

сюрприз (soorPRIs)

sürpriz

ÜBERRASCHUNG

Edited by Matuchkin

Spoiler
10 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

most of his plays would seem to be the equivalent of today's films

Aristophanes, Aeschylus et al. did a really good work. 2500 years passed, but even 50 times copypasted, their poems still sound like new. In Old English theatre, in the fables of Enlightenment, in modern TV series.

7 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Y'all complaining about European languages and stuff while I have to learn Russian, which is practically one of the most difficult languages to learn.

According to my fifth grade teacher, it's English...because of homophones. After learning german, ssssuuurrrreeeee:wink:

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

These mean the same thing, correct?

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I have no idea what you all are talking about. All I know about Shakespeare is that Macduff kills Macbeth, because that's the only thing we've been doing for the entire term in English class. :P 

I honestly understand german better than I do Macbeth...

10 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Nope, only if you put a coma somewhere, otherwise it is just broken.

Well, true. But I live in Canada, so while I instinctively talk in Russian, I am far worse at orthography.

Edited by Matuchkin

18 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I honestly understand german better than I do Macbeth...

1. King Duncan, the "good" king, rules over scotland.

2. Duncan promotes Macbeth.

3. Macbeth's wife convinces Macbeth to kill Duncan and become king.

4. Macduff and co. scatter and flee.

5. Macbeth kills Macduff's family, et al.

6. The witches show us some cliche bad omens.

7. Macbeth's castle is sieged, his wife commits suicide, and he's killed.