Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 1/2/2018 at 8:54 AM, Red Shirt said:

-6°F here. Not supposed to see above freezing until maybe Sunday.  

-14°F (-25°C)... What is this above freezing thing you're talking about? I know not what this is.
I do belive we are projected to get just below freezing on Sunday... Ehh... I'll take it!

On 1/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, adsii1970 said:

The semester does not start until next Monday. And already I have had a student contact me to tell me:

Skimmed the first line, saw the list, and my first thought was "what's with the class full of self entitled snowflakes and just plain flakes..." :huh:

On 1/2/2018 at 9:32 AM, adsii1970 said:

Now here's my responses in the email I sent back to her.

Oh... OH! This is ONE person! :0.0:
Kraken take her! :mad:

Edited by richfiles
Seriously, the Kraken can take both the snowflake and the double digit negative temps... -14 is actually an IMPROVEMENT!!!

Me... I just miss the days of getting out of work at reasonable times... I wanna BUILD! They got just me and one other guy... A measly two people... Doing a job that has always taken three people, and sometimes had four people. This is often our busiest season, and it's proven true... I've tried to explain to our supervisor that it's not working... We can't man three stations with just two people. It's a massive bottleneck... She just says it'll give us more hours, and that's good, right! Ugh... She just wants her total man-hours ratings to look good by working fewer of us harder, and not replacing the person we lost. I need to leave that place. Bad. I'm so burned out... Unfortunately, it's also the most stable job I've ever come across. That's a VERY hard thing to turn away from. :(

Edited by richfiles

During our school break time the lunch area turns into a chair nicking frenzy because there are not enough chairs.

You can't leave your chair if you leave all your stuff behind on that chair.

Our class currently has exponential equations as our math(s) topic. And we're seriously told that, if the exponent x is the variable to solve for to get some value n, we should just try out some values for x and see if they work. The fact that there is another simple-to-understand function for that (logb(n)=x) isn't even mentioned!

I mean, how hard is it to explain the relation between exponential equation bx=n and logb(n)=x?

Doesn't stop me from using logs, though. And it isn't just our teacher that doesn't mention logs; apparently, no teacher does.

25 minutes ago, monstah said:

Ended a friendship of some 18 years today. It's for the best, but I feel pretty lame :( 

Yes, I liked your post. I grew up moving every two or three years because of my dad's job. Made a lot of good friends along the way, but time was a great teacher. Of all the "best friends" I thought I had, the best friends are the ones I made much later in life. Sure, I have kept in touch with a few of the old friends I had, but I've also purposefully fell out of contact with nearly all of them. Not because I am lame, but because being older now, I have little in common with them.

There's one I've known since 8th grade which I have chosen to delete from my Facebook account. Why? His world is different than mine. I am tired of his constant negativity. I am tired of being insulted because I don't think exactly the way he does. I'm sorry - a true friend isn't going to do that.

But remember, there are other people out there who are friend material who have more in common with you than your older and well-worn friends. They just need to be found and allowed the opportunity of friendship. I know this is quoting from the Bible and I know you are a moderator, and if you see fit to ping me with an infraction, so be it. However, it is still sound advice:

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).

And here's the truth about this - if we want to have friends, we must be friendly in return. There are some people I know that would tell you I am their friend, but there's nothing they've done that speaks of friendship. And friendships are to be worked on (as any other ship is work to maintain). They are to be developed, and they are to grow. If they are not growing, then they are dying and we are just afraid to admit that to ourselves. Don't allow the feelings of "lame" force you to reverse your decision. There was a reason you made this decision to start with.

Edited by adsii1970

Thanks, man. I appreciate the words :)  I may feel like crap about it, but such is adult life.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

I know this is quoting from the Bible and I know you are a moderator, and if you see fit to ping me with an infraction, so be it

Eh, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. You're not discussing religion, just using a quote to make a point...

...besides, we both know the infractions you really like are the ones involving politics, instead :wink: 

25 minutes ago, monstah said:

...besides, we both know the infractions you really like are the ones involving politics, instead :wink: 

Hehehe, oh I forgot about that part of your moderator job... you can see my infractions! I will be honest, I think when the forum software was updated from the Vbulletin they were using to this new software, I lost three infractions. NOT that I am complaining or anything! :blush:

18 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Oh, are those more significant?

As @monstah said, I teach history and foreign policy. And I am a hawk when it comes to those subjects. As a friend once made the comment, when I discuss them, it is like I am like a Great White Shark in among a school of sardines... :P

04SharksPeople%20-%C2%ACThomas%20P.%20Pe

18 minutes ago, monstah said:

Heh, no, that's just a joke. He teaches political history, it's only natural he's been pinged about politics here a few times. But we're all good...

Yeah, I take my lumps and I go along. If you look in my signature, I even poke fun at myself over this.

1 minute ago, razark said:

Employers that don't bother to close the center due to weather until two hours after we get there.  :mad:

Been there, sorta.  They actually made the decision 30 minutes before my shift started.... which is still not enough time.  I (and the guy a picked up on my way to work) were out in the smoking tent when the decision was made.  They didn't bother to call either of us.  Apparently we were the only ones to not call in, since it had dropped about a foot of snow in the 6 hours before we started, and I was the only one brave enough to tromp through it.

"Can we at least push a broom for an hour to pay for coming in?"

"No, go home."

:mad:

49 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Been there, sorta.

Likewise, but more than sorta.

1983, NYC, terrible snowstorm... blizzard. We came in to work, most of us commuting in from NJ. At one point, the boss said we're closing. He left, got his butt stuck somewhere on the road out in Brooklyn or Queens. We camped out at the office; Had food brought in, had 'beverages' brought in, invited a few 'ladies' to our party... we had a grand old time. Boss was furious... not because we had the party, but because he missed it.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:10 PM, monstah said:

Ended a friendship of some 18 years today. It's for the best, but I feel pretty lame :( 

Life may come crashing down around you, but as long as your free Netflix trial hasn't ended, it goes on.

23 hours ago, razark said:

Employers that don't bother to close the center due to weather until two hours after we get there.  :mad:

Aaaauuuugggghhhh!!! The college where I work does this all the freaking time! We drive in to work in the snow, and then an hour later they close the school for weather conditions and we all have to drive home in the snow again. You know, because that way we're all safer because we're not out driving around in the snow. :huh:

Not this year, though. We had one snow right before Christmas, about a quarter-inch that didn't hang around until noon. Other than that, nothing. Apparently we've been exporting it all to Houston this year. We'll send you a bill. :D

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Aaaauuuugggghhhh!!! The college where I work does this all the freaking time! We drive in to work in the snow, and then an hour later they close the school for weather conditions and we all have to drive home in the snow again. You know, because that way we're all safer because we're not out driving around in the snow. :huh:

My college will cancel classes in a heartbeat, but if I don't show up during my office hours on the days class is canceled, I get docked a vacation day.

Strange noises in the dark.

Laying in bed watching the last YouTube video before going to bed. Lights all off. Something in my dresser area (like three feet to the left of the bed) popped. Scared the crap out of me. My lamp was on incredibly quickly...

On 1/21/2018 at 11:31 PM, munlander1 said:

Something in my dresser area (like three feet to the left of the bed) popped. Scared the crap out of me.

I'm on the edge of my seat... Don't leave me hangin'! :0.0:

As for me... I didn't get a shower for nearly two days... Or get to flush...
Apparently, the sewer pipe was clogged with sticks. We also got several inches of snow... The thick, heavy, wet kind. Just a pain to deal with. :huh:
Also, someone stole the year tags off my car's license plates! :mad:

Here in most US states, vehicle taxes are paid and we receive a sticker that has a serial number and the year. This is our license plate renewal. It's fairly inexpensive for older cars, but can be rather expensive for newer ones. Apparently, someone stole mine, presumably to visually make their car look like it's plate taxes have been paid... As long as they don't get pulled over, it's actually useful. If the thief's plates actually get run though, it would come back unpaid. This is, amazingly enough, the SECOND time this has happened to me. The snow twice the height of my shoes is certainly enough of a deterrent to looking at license plates in the parking lot, to see if I can find one that matches the serial number on the receipt of of my old plate's year sticker.

I kinda hope whoever stole it does get pulled over... They'll get hit with not only driving with expired tags, but probably be hit up with some manner of additional charges... I don't know what, but if there's one thing I know... It's that when the tax man cometh, and the tax man does not receive... His book comes down hardest!

Edited by richfiles