Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

Also, someone stole the year tags off my car's license plates! :mad:

Here in most US states, vehicle taxes are paid and we receive a sticker that has a serial number and the year. This is our license plate renewal. It's fairly inexpensive for older cars, but can be rather expensive for newer ones. Apparently, someone stole mine, presumably to visually make their car look like it's plate taxes have been paid... As long as they don't get pulled over, it's actually useful. If the thief's plates actually get run though, it would come back unpaid. This is, amazingly enough, the SECOND time this has happened to me. The snow twice the height of my shoes is certainly enough of a deterrent to looking at license plates in the parking lot, to see if I can find one that matches the serial number on the receipt of of my old plate's year sticker.

I kinda hope whoever stole it does get pulled over... They'll get hit with not only driving with expired tags, but probably be hit up with some manner of additional charges... I don't know what, but if there's one thing I know... It's that when the tax man cometh, and the tax man does not receive... His book comes down hardest!

When I put the tag sticker on my plate I cut the sticker multiple times with a razor blade so that it is intact on the plate, but if someone tries to remove it, it falls into pieces. It deters thieves.

14 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

When I put the tag sticker on my plate I cut the sticker multiple times with a razor blade so that it is intact on the plate, but if someone tries to remove it, it falls into pieces. It deters thieves.

You should petition the state to start using security stickers.  I'm surprised it doesn't already, mine are nearly impossible to remove in one piece.

9 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You should petition the state to start using security stickers.  I'm surprised it doesn't already, mine are nearly impossible to remove in one piece.

Arizona doesn't use a security sticker, but they do print a custom sticker that has the number of your license plate printed on it. So if you're close enough to read it you can see that it's stolen. I still score mine, because there are still people dumb enough to steal them.

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Arizona doesn't use a security sticker, but they do print a custom sticker that has the number of your license plate printed on it. So if you're close enough to read it you can see that it's stolen. I still score mine, because there are still people dumb enough to steal them.

Missouri does that too.... in some places.  Some stickers have your plate number, some just have the year (Year is denoted by sticker color, month is stamped into the plate)

But it's so small that it's not even noticeable unless the cop already has you pulled over, or they're driving around parking lots specifically looking for stolen stickers.

14 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

I have a math exam on Saturday

My freedom is being infringed on. I demand an award of sorts for waking up at seven in the morning (the horror) :D

Just show up in a bathrobe with a towel, scribble down 42 for every answer,  and mutter something about normality on your way out.

You'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Just show up in a bathrobe with a towel, scribble down 42 for every answer,  and mutter something about normality on your way out.

I thought that was for exams on Thursdays.  I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

36 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

My freedom is being infringed on. I demand an award of sorts for waking up at seven in the morning (the horror) :D

Funnily enough I also had a similar situation. My math teacher lost his keys, which are needed to turn on he printer, so he couldn’t print out our tests. He just posted it online and told us to do it over the weekend. :P  

52 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

When I took my SATs the exam started at 7:00 on a Saturday morning. I was out until about 3:00 in the morning the night before. The exam site was about a twenty-minute drive from my house and my mom managed to get me on my feet at 6:30. (Did I mention that they asked us to be there 15 minutes before the exam started?) I walked in the door at a couple of minutes to 7:00 looking like death warmed over in a microwave. I wound up getting a 1310, which in those days wasn't bad, before all this crazy exam prep stuff made it so you needed to get a perfect 1600 to get into anywhere. I probably could have done a lot better if I had been, well, a little less like me and a little more like, I dunno, someone else.

10 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

900 words is a ridiculously low limit, especially for creative writing in English class :mad:

900 words? You can do a lot in 900 words. A post-AP bio lab report I made recently only had ~700 words total. Granted, it wasn't that great and its not a creative writing assignment, but.... you can still do a lot with 900 words.

18 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

900 words is a ridiculously low limit, especially for creative writing in English class :mad:

There is something to be said for teaching efficiency of communication, I think its a useful exercise.

If you cant transmit at least the bare bones of a point or concept in 900 words or less, you are going to have a hard life.

19 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Had to write two sides of A4 as homework for my Engineering Design teacher when I was 14. The subject? Screw threads. Cue much waffling about Archimedes and irrigation and it's benefits.

The two sides of A4 was a requirement of every piece of homework he ever gave out, didn't matter what the subject was. So we had a crash course in both concise and waffling styles of writing.

Had a 'Spirit Rally' at lunchtime today at school. It's pretty much where we gather around and yell/scream the school song and anthem. I have my Friday garlic bread from the tuckshop (cafeteria for US readers), and the rally took place right outside it, so I was forced to 'join in'. Anyway, it cost me 20 minutes of my 35 minute lunchtime, so I'm really annoyed :mad:

I put in my paperwork to renew my medical insurance last year... I've received NOTHING back. No bills, no acceptance, no denial... Just, nothing...
The website will let me make a payment (of course), but it has no actual status information at all. Figures they got the part where I blindly give them money figured out. :huh:
Anyway, I'm freaking out now about whether I'm even covered, and worst of all, I discovered some... eh, swelling... :blush:
It really needs to be checked ASAP... I might get screwed and have to end up paying cash, out of pocket.

Aging sucks, and I'm not even technically "over the hill" yet! Still though... Soon™

Well, that's the goal anyway. :/

On 02/02/2018 at 4:47 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Had a 'Spirit Rally' at lunchtime today at school. It's pretty much where we gather around and yell/scream the school song and anthem.

Wait, your school has an anthem?

On 2/2/2018 at 2:21 PM, razark said:

And if you hadn't?

Coerced groupthink is extremely silly.

If I hadn't, then I would be looking at detention for not following a teacher's direction.