Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

58 minutes ago, richfiles said:
On 16.03.2018 at 6:26 PM, kerbiloid said:

So, at the end the scheme of data gathering looks like a defence plan of apiary under attack of polar bears.

I'd love to see that! Genuinely LOLed! :D

Here you go.

(Real names and descriptions are replaced with brief terms.)

Spoiler

dMWT74P.jpg

They say python is the best beginner coding language, but I keep doing this:

for I in range(2000)

print(my email spambot)

No wonder my email spammer dosen't work.... And now I need to buy a new hard drive because my one right now was damaged somehow and I'll never get my web spider/spambot done before April 1st...

Well, crap. This jarates me off big time.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Here you go.

He he he he he he... :D
The "Virtual Device" absolutely looks like rows of honeycomb!

While Resident Utility bee was the last line of defense for the Virtual Device honeycomb, the bees were prepared to defend it at all costs, and had their best sniper, Service bee, in place.
Processing Utility bear is getting darn close, but Service bee is prepared to Execute Processing Utility bear while Resident Utility bee lays distracting cover fire to defend their sweet, sweet home!
(Program) bear (It's a nickname, earned on the battlefield) is Logging an attempt to aid Processing Utility bear by hopping those Database walls, but dang it, the chance looks slim...
Service Bee already has line of sight and is ready to Execute (Program) bear. He's ready to fall back and Transfer back to where the bears have their Communication Equipment.
(Program) bear is feeling guilty about it though... He knows if he Transfers, he leaves grim chances for Processing Utility bear, who has only the slightest chance of falling back to the Database wall.
(Program) bear knows if he can draw Service bee's fire so Processing Utility bear, can jump the database wall, his chances of falling back and Transferring to the Communication Equipment is high.

Will the bees defend the Virtual Device honeycomb?
Will the sniper Service bee take out Processing Utility bear, or will (Program) bear's distraction let him slip away?
What is even going on further away from the front lines?
Find out, on the next episode of B*A*S*H!

Mah LOLs, they're genuine! :sticktongue:

3 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Well, crap. This jarates me off big time.

I had to look that one up... That is A VERY creative censor! :cool:

Edited by richfiles

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Here you go.

(Real names and descriptions are replaced with brief terms.)

Reveal hidden contents

dMWT74P.jpg

This is the best chart explaining whatever this is explaining (I can't tell yet) I've ever seen

3 minutes ago, richfiles said:

I had to look that one up... That is A VERY creative censor! :cool:

Why, thanks you fine sir! God save the queen! All that stuff...

I can't quote the TF2 sniper yet. But I will... Someday.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Stupid college students. :mad: A deadline is a deadline for a reason. :huh:

I don't care for your reason for waiting for the last minute, you had TWO WEEKS to get it done. TWO WEEKS... :huh:

My dog ate it.

I feel bad for the people whose homework got legitimately destroyed by their dog.

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

My dog ate it.

I feel bad for the people whose homework got legitimately destroyed by their dog.

You know, what's sad, is I can actually handle it when a student tells me, "Dr., hey, I just screwed up and I forgot about it... how bad is it going to hurt my grade...?" And occasionally, if this is the FIRST thing they say to me in PERSON and not in an email or text message, I've given the student the chance to do the missing assignment with a significant (20%) reduction in credit. But hey, the remaining potential points beats NOTHING any day of the week... But...

It's the excuses where procrastination runs supreme and the bull excrement freely flows which irritates me::

• My boss changed the schedule at the last moment and I had to work last night. (Ok, but you still had two weeks to get the assignment done! :huh:)
  • The computer lab closes early on Friday; it closes at 5:30 p.m.! (Ok, but you've had two weeks to get it done; and you can do it anywhere you have computer access! :mad:)
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is a hard-core gamer and wouldn't give me access to the computer last weekend. (Do I really need to say it again?! :mad:)
  • I didn't understand your assignment. It confused me. (Wait... what! And you're just now asking about this?! :o)
  • I didn't realize I had to do the assignment. I thought it was like high school where I could choose to skip an assignment... (Dumb, just dumb I tell you. :huh: You aren't in high school any more, buttercup!)

Yeah, that's how it's been this morning.

10 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

It's the excuses where procrastination runs supreme and the bull excrement freely flows which irritates me

No, you just don't understand how hard it is for us busy students.  You and all the other professors give us soooooooo muuuuuuuch homework, and there's barely any time to get it all done in time!  You all think your class is the most important one, and don't realize that there's other important things, like football games, parties, watching movies, playing games, and all the other reasons one goes to college!

:wink:

1 minute ago, razark said:

No, you just don't understand how hard it is for us busy students.  You and all the other professors give us soooooooo muuuuuuuch homework, and there's barely any time to get it all done in time!  You all think your class is the most important one, and don't realize that there's other important things, like football games, parties, watching movies, playing games, and all the other reasons one goes to college!

:wink:

Hahaha... Dude...  you're funny... and I know you're joking! But here's why it is frustrating this semester...

With the exception of my level 400 and graduate courses, I know that those students who take my classes are NOT history majors. Especially when the class is a 100 level class, as is the case with World Civilization. Now, I was able to get rid of the whole 15 to 20 page paper requirement required. The Board of Regents requires that each student produce 15 to 20 pages of individual research for an introductory course - but NO WHERE does it say it all has to be in one term paper! So with that said...

• Within my class, they have one 5 to 7 page term paper using a collection of primary sources I have already assembled for them. They can choose from five different topics. Each topic comes with about five different questions which can be answered from the materials. They get graded for 1. choosing a packet, outlining their argument, outlining the primary sources, rough draft, and final draft.
  • Then the rest of the pages of original materials come from primary source reading assignments they respond to on-line. Each reading assignment is about four pages of some primary source, then they give me a two paragraph response (on-line). They only have five of these assignments throughout the semester. And the due dates are posted in the course syllabus...

In the end, most students write between 17 to 25 pages total... and  the grades are better and the administration (and my sanity) is happier.

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

The Board of Regents requires that each student produce 15 to 20 pages of individual research for an introductory course...

There's actually a set rule on that?

I'm not sure how I made it through college without writing more than a couple papers of any significant length (more than a page).  I probably did 20-25 pages of papers the whole time!

33 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

You know, what's sad, is I can actually handle it when a student tells me, "Dr., hey, I just screwed up and I forgot about it... how bad is it going to hurt my grade...?" And occasionally, if this is the FIRST thing they say to me in PERSON and not in an email or text message, I've given the student the chance to do the missing assignment with a significant (20%) reduction in credit. But hey, the remaining potential points beats NOTHING any day of the week... But...

It's the excuses where procrastination runs supreme and the bull excrement freely flows which irritates me::

• My boss changed the schedule at the last moment and I had to work last night. (Ok, but you still had two weeks to get the assignment done! :huh:)
  • The computer lab closes early on Friday; it closes at 5:30 p.m.! (Ok, but you've had two weeks to get it done; and you can do it anywhere you have computer access! :mad:)
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is a hard-core gamer and wouldn't give me access to the computer last weekend. (Do I really need to say it again?! :mad:)
  • I didn't understand your assignment. It confused me. (Wait... what! And you're just now asking about this?! :o)
  • I didn't realize I had to do the assignment. I thought it was like high school where I could choose to skip an assignment... (Dumb, just dumb I tell you. :huh: You aren't in high school any more, buttercup!)

Yeah, that's how it's been this morning.

The state-of-the-art when I was at uni was to create a document in word, with anything in it, maybe copy a wall of text (literally any text) off the internet so the file has some size.

Then open the file in raw-code or ASCII format and delete a few random strings and save.

Now the file is corrupt and wont open!

Mail it in with a nice title and wait for feedback.

In theory, this buys you 12-24 hours grace before the professor finds you and was like "I couldnt open your paper" and you'd have it ready and be like "Oh was there a problem? Must have gotten corrupted in transit, Ill mail you a fresh copy!"

Cue the university adopting a "zero tolerance" policy so if you didnt electronically submit something that could be read and marked by the very second of the deadline (emailed it in 10seconds late? you missed it sorry you get a zero), thats your problem and if you get a zero because of legitimate computer problems, you get a zero.

And as you of course are repeating in your head as I speak - you've got all week, dont submit it at the last minute!!

Oh the sweet sting of young person problems!

I have to say, when I was in high school I was a serious slacker and master procrastinator. Which led to a lot of amazing last-minute successes, but a lot more spectacular last-minute failures. But I owned all of it. Even at the height of my slackerdom (Is that a word? Okay, it's in Urban Dictionary. It's a word.), it never even occurred to me to try to weasel out of it, or shift the blame. Even if my grades were less than stellar, I still had my self-respect.

34 minutes ago, razark said:

There's actually a set rule on that?

There is just about a rule on everything. Unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

The state-of-the-art when I was at uni was to create a document in word, with anything in it, maybe copy a wall of text (literally any text) off the internet so the file has some size.

Then open the file in raw-code or ASCII format and delete a few random strings and save.

Now the file is corrupt and wont open!

Mail it in with a nice title and wait for feedback.

In theory, this buys you 12-24 hours grace before the professor finds you and was like "I couldnt open your paper" and you'd have it ready and be like "Oh was there a problem? Must have gotten corrupted in transit, Ill mail you a fresh copy!"

Cue the university adopting a "zero tolerance" policy so if you didnt electronically submit something that could be read and marked by the very second of the deadline (emailed it in 10seconds late? you missed it sorry you get a zero), thats your problem and if you get a zero because of legitimate computer problems, you get a zero.

My syllabus actually has a decent statement on this. Yeah, you can send me a corrupt file and I ask you for another one, but I won't. Your grade will suffer...  this is me accepting an apology from a student who sent me a corrupt file or file which crashes my computer...

24 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I have to say, when I was in high school I was a serious slacker and master procrastinator. Which led to a lot of amazing last-minute successes, but a lot more spectacular last-minute failures. But I owned all of it. Even at the height of my slackerdom (Is that a word? Okay, it's in Urban Dictionary. It's a word.), it never even occurred to me to try to weasel out of it, or shift the blame. Even if my grades were less than stellar, I still had my self-respect.

Same here. Which is why I reward the honest ones...

22 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Same here. Which is why I reward the honest ones...

I wouldn't. The "reward" was not having to sweat and toil over the work. Any further reward simply encourages them.

I remember my math teacher, God bless her. She was one of the teachers who believed in me the most. She encouraged me, she challenged me, she really pushed me to do my best. She always described me as one of her brightest students, even when we met again at my 20-year reunion. But when I took calculus with her in 11th grade, it was my first class of the day, and since my usual habit was to do my homework the class before it was due I almost never got my homework done for her class. It got to the point where she would ask me point-blank in front of the class every morning, "Did you do your work last night?" I, being the clown, always had some witty response, which she would never acknowledge. She would simply inform me that I would be getting another zero for that assignment. But I got As on all of the tests, and then with some creative accounting I would figure out how many homework assignments I would have to turn in at the end of the semester to actually pass the class. She appreciated me, she wanted me to do well, but she had a standard and she held me to it unfailingly. And I, to this day, respect her for that.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I wouldn't. The "reward" was not having to sweat and toil over the work. Any further reward simply encourages them.

This semester, out of the 56 students that emailed me about late assignments, I only had ONE this morning who came and saw me about his procrastination problem. He and he alone was honest about it... and he alone got the ONLY opportunity to make up the assignment at 80% of its point value.  He flat out said "I goofed, and I didn't realize it was due until I logged on Friday afternoon..." I am lied to so much I feel the need to encourage his honesty, which is really, really sad. I'm honestly thinking of retiring in the next couple of years. Maybe to become a full time KSP player and mod writer...

Our server didn't go down and tracks log-in activity. This helps weed out the whole "the server threw me out" issue...

38 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

This semester, out of the 56 students that emailed me about late assignments, I only had ONE this morning who came and saw me about his procrastination problem. He and he alone was honest about it... and he alone got the ONLY opportunity to make up the assignment at 80% of its point value.  He flat out said "I goofed, and I didn't realize it was due until I logged on Friday afternoon..." I am lied to so much I feel the need to encourage his honesty, which is really, really sad. I'm honestly thinking of retiring in the next couple of years. Maybe to become a full time KSP player and mod writer...

Our server didn't go down and tracks log-in activity. This helps weed out the whole "the server threw me out" issue...

Fair enough. It's a different world now. I was the exception back then.

Retirement. HA! That's something you could get me complaining about....

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Retirement. HA! That's something you could get me complaining about....

As much as I threaten it... I probably will die in the lecture hall... teaching the grandkids of my current college students... who knows, I may become a real life analog for @Just Jim's Thompberry! :D

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

As much as I threaten it... I probably will die in the lecture hall... teaching the grandkids of my current college students... who knows, I may become a real life analog for @Just Jim's Thompberry! :D

Yeah, well, I'm going to be working until I die to pay for the Boomer's retirements. But, that's another show....

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

Yeah, well, I'm going to be working until I die to pay for the Boomer's retirements. But, that's another show....

If memory serves, we are around the same age. Retirement really isn't an option for us Generation Xers...

10 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I recently did a project on world war two, and the day I typed it up (which was the day before the due date) I lost the rough draft...

I ended staying up until like 12:30 re-doing and ended up with a 9 page report on the Manhattan Project with words like 'Uranium Hexaflouride'. Somehow I got a 110 (out of 100) on it. Last minute success for the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!

Wait... This is a complaining thread. Ok... Um... The teacher took some points off the group project portion because she thought we plagerized some of it. I like sounding smart, okay? If that means explaining communist philosophy in fancy wording then I'll take it!

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

The topic for this thread may be pretty loose, but we'd still ask folks to stick to it. A post or two have been trimmed. 

Can we complain that a post or two has been trimmed? :wink: