Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

No. :mad:

Trying hard not to laugh. Don't know why I think this exchange is so funny... Wait... :blush:

My coffee cup is empty, again...

(Legitimate complaint) :D

Edited by adsii1970

29 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

I recently did a project on world war two, and the day I typed it up (which was the day before the due date) I lost the rough draft...

I ended staying up until like 12:30 re-doing and ended up with a 9 page report on the Manhattan Project with words like 'Uranium Hexaflouride'. Somehow I got a 110 (out of 100) on it. Last minute success for the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!

Wait... This is a complaining thread. Ok... Um... The teacher took some points off the group project portion because she thought we plagerized some of it. I like sounding smart, okay? If that means explaining communist philosophy in fancy wording then I'll take it!

Between my junior and senior years I actually went to a college prep summer school at Philips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. (And then never went to college. Sorry, Dad.) One of the courses I took while I was there was Foreign Relations. The subject for our course term paper was to summarize the foreign policy engagement between the United States and a randomly selected country since World War II. I drew the People's Republic of China, which even in 1985 was no small feat to summarize in a four-page paper. So, of course, me being me, I left it to the day before it was due. (I mean, come on. I was 17 years old. I was on the other side of the country from home for six weeks. There were girls everywhere. I had way more important things to do than write term papers! :) ) So I formulated a thesis for my paper, went to the campus library and checked out an armload of books on United States relations with China, and went back to my dorm room to start writing. I started pouring over the books to get cites and references, and I gradually start realizing that there is nothing in these books that is supporting the points that I want to make in my paper. I finally come to realize that these books are completely useless to me. Just in time to look at my watch and see that the library closed five minutes ago. So I said, "Okay. Well. What can I cobble together from what I have." So I start going over the books and trying to put together something to turn in. And it isn't working. I'm throwing away outline after outline, getting increasingly desperate. Finally, at about 12:30 at night, I've been at it for ten hours, and I have nothing. My brain was totally fried. And I just said, "You know what, I don't know what else to do. I'm just going to go to bed. Maybe I can come up with another plan in the morning." So I went to bed.

I woke up at 4:00 in the morning. I bolted straight up in bed. It was like the Knowledge Spike had streaked down from Heaven and struck me in the brain. I literally woke up with a fully formed outline for a paper that was completely supported with the sources I had right at the front of my brain. I went to my desk, wrote down the outline, then started writing. I finished the paper at 7:45. I had barely enough time to pull on some clothes and run across the campus before class started at 8:00. I got a C+. :D That was probably the most extreme case of procrastination I ever got away with. Don't try this at home, kids!

On 3/19/2018 at 12:29 AM, Dman979 said:

I'm annoyed he doesn't post his massive ships more. :mad:

To my understanding, he's still got that pieced together potato computer he got back online with after he ruined his gaming laptop.  He'll get a machine he an build big with again at some point, but I know he and his girlfriend just went halfsies on a house,and homesteading is a crazy crazy thing with all sorts of surprise expenses. 

Oh Ive got a good one about writing papers.

At uni, in pharmacology class, we had to write a few pages on a particular drug - our choice - in pairs.

My partner chose MDMA - Ecstasy - which seemed like an interesting choice.

We only got half credit because my partner wrote exclusively about how MDMA was fun and we should all try it and drugs should be deregulated.

I mean, the regulation of drugs is an interesting topic for discussion, but this was a pharmacology class...

:mad:

Edited by p1t1o

5 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m getting yet ANOTHER nor’easter tomorrow...on the second day of SPRING. And it’s likely going to be a full-blown blizzard. How many more of these are we going to get?!

Lots apparently.... I'm probably in the same area....

2 hours ago, razark said:

My Lego Saturn V was missing a piece.

That is not cool. Thing Two bought a set once, the Architecture set of Buckingham Palace, and it was missing a piece. He was distraught. We wound up scrounging a replacement from the zillion other Legos they have, so it worked out. 

We were playing Quizlet live, and I missed out on winning the whole thing (We played 10 games) by 1 win ! I got 3, and someone else got 4. At least I get 3 extra points on my next test grade :P

1 minute ago, TheSaint said:

That is not cool. Thing Two bought a set once, the Architecture set of Buckingham Palace, and it was missing a piece. He was distraught. We wound up scrounging a replacement from the zillion other Legos they have, so it worked out. 

I'm used to having parts left over.  In fact, I have a bag of parts left.  Just not the one I need.

Fortunately, it was just one of the little greebles, so I was able to almost complete it.  Lego also has a "Report Missing Piece" link on their site, so now I just have to wait a few weeks, I hope.

1 hour ago, razark said:

I'm used to having parts left over.  In fact, I have a bag of parts left.  Just not the one I need.

Fortunately, it was just one of the little greebles, so I was able to almost complete it.  Lego also has a "Report Missing Piece" link on their site, so now I just have to wait a few weeks, I hope.

It might be worth popping down to the nearest Lego store, they may have it on-site.

6 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

It might be worth popping down to the nearest Lego store, they may have it on-site.

That would mean going to... (cue ominous music) THE MALL!!! :o

I think I'd rather wait the month or so, honestly.  But I did consider it.

Edited by razark

Our cat is sick, she vomits often, she clearly isn't in a good state. Doing more research on the cat costs about €137,- but my Mom says we should let the poor thing to sleep and die. I love you mom, but killing our cat (wich to me is my little sister) takes it way too another level :mad:.

Geuss who is the new carer for the cat now, im planning on weighing the cat, to see if she loses any weight. I am also going to clean her vomit and give her a healthier diet.

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

Our cat is sick, she vomits often, she clearly isn't in a good state. Doing more research on the cat costs about €137,- but my Mom says we should let the poor thing to sleep and die. I love you mom, but killing our cat (wich to me is my little sister) takes it way too another level :mad:.

Geuss who is the new carer for the cat now, im planning on weighing the cat, to see if she loses any weight. I am also going to clean her vomit and give her a healthier diet.

I understand where both of you are coming from.

I've had cats my entire life, minus one month.  I'm almost 31, I've had quite a few.  The cat we had when I was born was immediately my cat.  She was about 3 at the time, and as an infant/toddler she was my pillow, my best friend.  When I was about 10, my mom and I came home from the grocery store to find her pulling herself around on the floor with just her front legs.  Rushed her to the vet, and they found a blood clot that had temporarily paralyzed her.  They could give her a shot, but we would have to keep coming in, over and over to get more shots, and she would be in constant pain.  Given the condition, and her age, we decided it would be best to put her down.  I did not eat for a week.  About a month later we adopted a 3 year old cat from the "humane" society that was literally getting put down the next day for being "unadoptable."  He instantly took to my brother, so he came home with us.  He'd been abused by his previous owner, declawed in all four paws.  He was afraid of brooms, afraid of doors, afraid of the dark.  A few months after that, we brought home my next cat, whom I'd picked out when she was just 7 hours old.   I had her for nearly 17 years, but had to put her down when she just got too sick.  I was a complete wreck, and it took me at least 45 minutes in the parking lot before I could drive home.

He died 17 years later, peacefully, at home.  My brother's wife is an emergency vet tech, so they were able to put him down at home.  He may have had another year or two, but he would have been miserable and sick the whole time.  It really was better that way.  Last year they did something similar with their 16 year old border collie.  Just at her favorite lake, not at home.

Let's switch gears!

Quite a few years ago, a move from a house into an apartment forced me to turn two of my cats over to live with my mom until I was able to take them back.  Unfortunately, by the time that happened, they'd been with her so long that moving them back to me would be too hard on them.  One of them developed some kind of issue with his liver and/or kidneys.  Somehow simultaneously had excess fluid buildup while being dehydrated.  She had to take him in every week to have fluid drained out and pumped in.  One of the two vets at the practice insisted there was no hope and it was best to put him down.  The other thought we might try a medication, which was supposed to just lessen the symptoms, and maybe give him a few more months.

It wasn't long, and the fluid problems were gone.  He started playing and eating/drinking normally again.  The weekly vet visits stopped.  The medication was halved, and halved again.  Last I knew, they were discussing cutting it down some more.  (They'll never risk taking it away entirely).  He's been a bit of a miracle kitty, and if anyone saw him now, they'd never guess he'd ever been sick.

I think you're doing the right thing, at least without knowing more. Do your research, but also consult a vet.  (I've never known them to charge for over-the-phone advice, although it's usually limited.  They can't say much without seeing the cat).  At times it may seem like they just want to put it down and get it over with, but I've never actually met one that didn't truly care what was best for the animal. 

But it is possible that not much can be done and dragging it on isn't the best thing to do. 

I've got 5 of the fuzzy little jerks now, 3 of which were on accident.  (I'm a sucker - two were strays, one I saved from going to a shelter, and one of the on-purpose ones is from a shelter).  I recently found out that the 9 year old has asthma, but he seems to be doing fine untreated for now.

Sorry I got a little verbose there, just found out about an hour ago that my brother's 14? year old dog died of advanced cancer that they only found 2 months ago.

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

-snip-

Thanks for your experience and advice man, that helped alot! And sorry for your brothers loss.

Anyways, on to another topic.

Someone is sentenced 5 years in jail for making a somewhat offensive joke, but i honestly think 5 years in jail is absolutely ridiculous for making a offensive joke. Heck, he even said that the joke wasn't meant to be taken seriously in his post. Im not going to say any names here or post links, because i don't wait to break the rules here. But if you are familiar with the latest Internet Memes, you might know what im talking about :mad:

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Thanks for your experience and advice man, that helped alot! And sorry for your brothers loss.

Anyways, on to another topic.

Someone is sentenced 5 years in jail for making a somewhat offensive joke, but i honestly think 5 years in jail is absolutely ridiculous for making a offensive joke. Heck, he even said that the joke wasn't meant to be taken seriously in his post. Im not going to say any names here or post links, because i don't wait to break the rules here. But if you are familiar with the latest Internet Memes, you might know what im talking about :mad:

5 years probation is not the same as 5 years in prison.

I dont know much else about the story - so its certainly possible to be some kind of screwup - but I've heard too much of "it was juuuuuuuuuust a joke" being used as an excuse and it drives me up the wall. You cant say whatever mindlessly offensive or threatening thing and then just "just a joke lol" and have all consequences washed away. It almost makes it worse, that you can hurt someone, then think that a magic sentence can make your actions just disappear, thats highly offensive just in-and-of-itself.

On the face of it, without any other detail, just on hearing "he even said it was a joke" Im inclined to think 5 years probation was sensible, but I admit I have only read a couple of lines about the case so my information is lacking, but Im not particularly inclined to find out more.

PS: I hope your cat gets better

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

5 years probation is not the same as 5 years in prison.

I dont know much else about the story - so its certainly possible to be some kind of screwup - but I've heard too much of "it was juuuuuuuuuust a joke" being used as an excuse and it drives me up the wall. You cant say whatever mindlessly offensive or threatening thing and then just "just a joke lol" and have all consequences washed away. It almost makes it worse, that you can hurt someone, then think that a magic sentence can make your actions just disappear, thats highly offensive just in-and-of-itself.

On the face of it, without any other detail, just on hearing "he even said it was a joke" Im inclined to think 5 years probation was sensible, but I admit I have only read a couple of lines about the case so my information is lacking, but Im not particularly inclined to find out more.

PS: I hope your cat gets better

He didn't intend to hurt or threaten anyone, it was just a gag he wanted to share with friends, but it got way out of hand and went viral. People are saying 'its just a joke!' as an excuse because that's exactly what it is. Not just that, if you look a bit deeper into the internet, there are litterly MILLIONS of jokes and memes more offensive than this, the only difference here is that he showed his face, making him an easier target.

14 minutes ago, NSEP said:

People are saying 'its just a joke!' as an excuse because that's exactly what it is.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, even if it wasn't a joke, thoughtcrime is still immoral.

15 minutes ago, NSEP said:

He didn't intend to hurt or threaten anyone, it was just a gag he wanted to share with friends, but it got way out of hand and went viral. People are saying 'its just a joke!' as an excuse because that's exactly what it is. Not just that, if you look a bit deeper into the internet, there are litterly MILLIONS of jokes and memes more offensive than this, the only difference here is that he showed his face, making him an easier target.

Im not sure if you can really speak to his intentions, but either way, nobody is actually getting locked up.