Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Liiiinnuuuuxxx :D

Barring that, if you're still set on 7, burn yourself a live CD of GParted.  Then you can format whatever however you want, and it doesn't matter what OS is installed.

I'm honestly too lazy to switch from windows... I like how easy it is to use, and that it's not completely child- proofed like MacOS. 

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

11 hours ago, Delay said:

... and get Windows 7.

*claps*

Good luck with that ! I actually genuinely liked win7; too sad you can't really crank things up under it (as that's what the "modern" world asks you).

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Liiiinnuuuuxxx

Much more useful than an antivirus of any kind XD

My normal routine of going to my locker at lunchtime and browsing the internet on my computer has been made into hell. A teacher passed by my locker and saw me, and decided to give me an after school detention ('arvo' as it's called) because of 'inappropriate computer use'. This was during my lunchtime, my 'free' session in between classes. I was reading an article on Wikipedia, about the Boeing 737. So how the :mad::mad::mad::mad: is reading about an aircraft during lunchtime inappropriate use of a computer?! It's stupid! 

31 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

So how the :mad::mad::mad::mad: is reading about an aircraft during lunchtime inappropriate use of a computer?! It's stupid!

Good question..... seems reasonable to me.

Best of luck with the 'arvo' and hopefully everything turn out alright.

43 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Best of luck with the 'arvo' and hopefully everything turn out alright.

It's also the first day of Term 2. I managed to get a detention on the first day of term! Yay? And the rule in our house is that any detention means no games for a week. Luckily that we are studying aerodynamics in Science and that our homework is to takeoff and land in windy conditions using a flight sim we downloaded in class, so I can fly around in that after school.

Someone asked about the chemical nomenclature of esters on XKCD and I got it the wrong way around in my answer, even after I looked it up to check. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the kid doesnt fail his exam... :o

6 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

My normal routine of going to my locker at lunchtime and browsing the internet on my computer has been made into hell. A teacher passed by my locker and saw me, and decided to give me an after school detention ('arvo' as it's called) because of 'inappropriate computer use'. This was during my lunchtime, my 'free' session in between classes. I was reading an article on Wikipedia, about the Boeing 737. So how the :mad::mad::mad::mad: is reading about an aircraft during lunchtime inappropriate use of a computer?! It's stupid! 

Thats a dumb reason an 'arvo'. Did you tell her?

We use Ipads/Tablets/Laptops for some subjects instead of books, so 80% of all the kids are playing Fortnite in the lunch area, especially the first-year kiddos. And arvo because of inappropriate internet use also isn't a thing, fortunately.

Edited by NSEP

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I read that as Avro and wonder why your school called detention an aircraft company. 

8 hours ago, razark said:

I found a computer of mine from a few years ago. 

It boots.  It runs.

I don't have the password or a Vista recovery disc.

In our office, stuffed in a very dusty old laptop case, I still have the laptop that I bought when I moved back from South Africa in the summer of 1999. It originally came with Windows 98, but at some point I reformatted it and installed Windows 2000. The battery is toast, but if I plug it in it still boots up and goes. My wife thinks we should e-waste it, I think it should go to a museum or something.

My science teacher often takes us to ancient "interactive cyber-sites" from 2002 to supplement out lessons. Today the URL took us to a Discovery Channel volcano simulator that "required Adobe Flash Player." Okay... I don't see any prompt to enable Flash... maybe I can use the taskbar to figure this out? Two minutes later I'm on Microsoft Edge (ugh) trying again, because Flash is "bundled with Edge" which is, of course, bundled with Windows 10, which is irreverent, because I already have Flash installed. Microsoft Edge recommends using nonexistent symbols in the right-hand corners to enable Flash... and then I right-click there, scroll down, and see this button:

"Open in Internet Explorer"

I can't be that desperate, right? I didn't know that Explorer was even bundled in Windows 10. Thirty seconds later I open IE for the first time in four years, and Norton immediately opens my password manager twice. I move my mouse up to the (ugly, obsolete) search bar and enter the URL... and it works! I see a eleven-year old animation of a stratovolcano eruption. So, moral of the story: Any day after March 2014 that starts off with you opening Internet Explorer is not a good one.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

In our office, stuffed in a very dusty old laptop case, I still have the laptop that I bought when I moved back from South Africa in the summer of 1999. It originally came with Windows 98, but at some point I reformatted it and installed Windows 2000. The battery is toast, but if I plug it in it still boots up and goes. My wife thinks we should e-waste it, I think it should go to a museum or something.

My science teacher from last year has a twenty year-old laptop with Windows 98 (I hope) that he keeps around just so he could keep a bird database on abandonware. The problem was,  it would occasionally crash during the bird identification test... in which case the entire class would have to take it again the next day. I'm not sure the laptop could even operate without a power and internet cord attached, it was so old. In addition, the teacher (who once felt sorry for a yellow jacket because it died after stinging him next to the eye) would use his new laptop to sing along to Hall & Oates in class. He was bitten by several cottonmouths (but not the rattlesnakes that live around here) and once brought a skink to class which bit the snake that he had also brought in addition to biting his finger.

2 hours ago, Confused Scientist said:

My science teacher from last year has a twenty year-old laptop with Windows 98 (I hope) that he keeps around just so he could keep a bird database on abandonware. The problem was,  it would occasionally crash during the bird identification test... in which case the entire class would have to take it again the next day. I'm not sure the laptop could even operate without a power and internet cord attached, it was so old. In addition, the teacher (who once felt sorry for a yellow jacket because it died after stinging him next to the eye) would use his new laptop to sing along to Hall & Oates in class. He was bitten by several cottonmouths (but not the rattlesnakes that live around here) and once brought a skink to class which bit the snake that he had also brought in addition to biting his finger.

This sounds... 'fun'. It'd be fun just to laugh at this guy bringing animals to school, but it doesn't sound like it's worth it being in his class.

11 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

I read that as Avro and wonder why your school called detention an aircraft company. 

Haha, although their is also a 'Lockheed State High School' in my area.

11 hours ago, NSEP said:

Thats a dumb reason an 'arvo'. Did you tell her?

No, because arguing back can get me in more trouble. And if anyone's interested in what flight sim we are using in science it's GeoFS (just a random answer to a nonexistent question)

8 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Uh...does he mean "websites"? wow.

Is he a time traveler from 1991?

No, those are what the websites call themselves. Every single one of them has had some error with Flash that was ultimately resolved by trying again in some other browser.

8 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

This sounds... 'fun'. It'd be fun just to laugh at this guy bringing animals to school, but it doesn't sound like it's worth it being in his class.

That wasn't really so bad... in fact, our class pet the vinegaroon was pretty fun. Less so was the day when he showed us the dead bird that he kept in his freezer. The worst part was when we spent a month drawing a single Goliath beetle (we had to show the shading from the picture even though we were only allowed to work in ink), so we had to learn about Animalia in all of two weeks- I remember the lesson on fish being conducted during the second half of the Tuesday before school ended. We might have got a little more done if he hadn't chosen to spend one day before spring break singing a song that he'd written himself about getting sunburned the Mississippi River Valley.

Edited by Confused Scientist

Okay, windows is now fully updated. At least I think so. Graphics card problems have been fixed and the sound card also works, so I have sound again. There's just one more apparent problem that I don't know how to fix.

For some reason, 4GB of RAM causes the computer to refuse booting. I have one 2GB "stick" and two 1GB sticks. If I install one of them I have 3GB of RAM (that works), but as soon as I put in the second 1GB stick it stops working. Any ideas?

Edited by Delay

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Swap the 1GB sticks and see if it does it with 3GB installed.  It sounds like a bad stick.

Definitely. If it was just incompatible sticks or in the wrong slot, it'd still boot.

@Delay Does the motherboard make any beeping sounds when you try and boot with the affected RAM? Often motherboards have beep "codes" that alert you to hardware problems during boot, check the mobo manual.

When everything is kosher, there shouldnt be any problem with different sized sticks, as long as they have the same clock frequency (Im running 8+8+4+4).

Edited by p1t1o

On 17/04/2018 at 10:22 PM, Confused Scientist said:

Microsoft Edge recommends using nonexistent symbols in the right-hand corners to enable Flash... and then I right-click there, scroll down, and see this button:

"Open in Internet Explorer"

I can't be that desperate, right? I didn't know that Explorer was even bundled in Windows 10.

That's new info...

... but not particularly surprising. Windows is crazy about backwards compatibility (screw you macs and some linuxes !) and every single one of them has to work.

Like, it'd react to an F24 key...

On 17/04/2018 at 10:51 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

A teacher passed by my locker and saw me, and decided to give me an after school detention ('arvo' as it's called) because of 'inappropriate computer use'.

Why would in a world of electronic stuffs looking up a computer be problematic ?

12 hours ago, YNM said:

That's new info...

... but not particularly surprising. Windows is crazy about backwards compatibility (screw you macs and some linuxes !) and every single one of them has to work.

Like, it'd react to an F24 key...

Why would in a world of electronic stuffs looking up a computer be problematic ?

Because we are only allowed to use our computers for educational stuff (as it's a school computer). But apparently a Boeing 737 isn't educational and warrants me an afternoon detention.