Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yes, dust buildup is the first thing I check when I get throttled. On the flip side, sticking a laptop on top of an air conditioning vent during those Whackjobian launches works wonders. One of these days I’m going to build a little laptop desk connected to the AC vent. 

Be careful going TOO cold with the AC direct cooling. If certain parts of the laptop chill too low, you can get condensation inside the machine. YouTuber Louis Rossmann does repair videos, and showed an e-currency ASIC mining rig that was run next to an AC all the time. It was so corroded inside that there was no possibility for him to fix it, and this is a guy who has brought machines back to life that have burned holes through their motherboards! Just cause it might seem to make sense, doesn't always make it the actually the right course of action, even if the immediate results seem to be beneficial.

I make no guarantees that what you are doing is good or bad, just that you should be aware of the possibility of the issue.

2 hours ago, richfiles said:

Be careful going TOO cold with the AC direct cooling. If certain parts of the laptop chill too low, you can get condensation inside the machine. YouTuber Louis Rossmann does repair videos, and showed an e-currency ASIC mining rig that was run next to an AC all the time. It was so corroded inside that there was no possibility for him to fix it, and this is a guy who has brought machines back to life that have burned holes through their motherboards! Just cause it might seem to make sense, doesn't always make it the actually the right course of action, even if the immediate results seem to be beneficial.

I make no guarantees that what you are doing is good or bad, just that you should be aware of the possibility of the issue.

On the plus side, conditioned air is by necessity dried, so you can run the cooled air through your system without too much worry, the danger comes when the AC shuts off and humid air from outside enters the machine and condenses on the cold surfaces.

But what you really want to do is immerse the whole thing in oil and run the oil through a heat exchanger ;)

Submerged019.jpg?_ga=2.206291733.7069367

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

On the plus side, conditioned air is by necessity dried, so you can run the cooled air through your system without too much worry, the danger comes when the AC shuts off and humid air from outside enters the machine and condenses on the cold surfaces.

Yes, I'm aware of the hazards of warm air hitting cold electronics. My basic procedure is to keep the PC making heat while removing it from the cold air, so that it warms up quickly and prevents and/or quickly dries out condensation.

Thing is, with the machine running hot, it's more a matter of keeping it cooler than having it chilled. But yeah, there is the issue that only one side of the machine gets hot to begin with...

Several days ago I was googling a little.
About drilling machines and same stuff - just to realize, what would Martian drilling machines look like, and how much would they eat.

Now my Opera is full of drilling equipment commercials...
(Happily, Firefox has AdBlock installed).

26 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Now my Opera is full of drilling equipment commercials...

I had to buy a replacement motherboard last week.  According to my browser, it seems that I was only taking my first step into the wider world of motherboard collecting.

Please stop.  Ads need a "I already bought what I want, go away now" button.

36 minutes ago, razark said:

Ads need a "I already bought what I want, go away now" button.

YouTube needs a "I already watched that recommended video, shut up" button

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Also a "I have no idea why you would recommend this" and "I accidentally clicked the wrong video, stop showing me anything remotely related to it!"

I destroyed my phone on Sunday.

Ordered a new one Tuesday, shipped to work. (As with everything - safer that way)

Tracking said it would be here today.

It didn't come today.

And it's a three day weekend.

:mad:

On the plus side, the new Chvrches albumn released today, so I'll live.

Edited by Geonovast

16 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I destroyed my phone on Sunday.

Ordered a new one Tuesday, shipped to work. (As with everything - safer that way)

Tracking said it would be here today.

It didn't come today.

And it's a three day weekend.

:mad:

You'll see it Tuesday probably. Something to look forward to I suppose.

8 hours ago, razark said:
8 hours ago, NSEP said:

Also a "I have no idea why you would recommend this" and "I accidentally clicked the wrong video, stop showing me anything remotely related to it!"

Also: "Sssh! sssh! Hide it! Now!" and an old good "Boss Key".

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Also: "Sssh! sssh! Hide it! Now!" and an old good "Boss Key".

The venerable Boss Key died when the era of windows and task-switching grew to maturity.

Complaint:

I am unable to locate my whiskey.  I set the glass down, and I have no idea where.

Nevermind.  Crisis averted.

Edited by razark

13 hours ago, NSEP said:

TBH probably the bots who watched me already notices I often watch things over and over again XD

13 hours ago, razark said:

Perhaps file a GDPR complaint ? :P

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Now I have to go wade through airport crap and sit in a metal tube for 6 hours on my way to Mexico. Er wait, why am I complaining again?

Because airplanes are giant metal deathtrap coffins.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:53 PM, LordFerret said:

Today I'll actually complain about something. The VA (Veterans Administration). My 'local' VA (about 30 minutes away) has decided to send me to the 'main' VA in up in northern NJ for a procedure. The procedure, so I'm told, will take all of 10 minutes... a CT scan, no contrast. It's a 2 hour drive from here to get there..... to spend 10 minutes on a table..... to spend another 2 hours drive back home. :confused:

The kicker is that there's 3 different imaging centers within 15 minutes from home here that I could walk to if I had to. :mad:

That trip turned out; 2 hours up, 5 minutes on the table, and over 4 hours back home... all thanks to the damned Memorial Day weekend traffic on the GSP. Had I thought about that in advance, I would have cancelled the appointment. Un-freakin-real.

9.22.14-ANGRY-MAN-reduced-size.png

I can complain about the six hour plain ride, half an hour waiting for the hotel bus, the 90+ minutes bus ride, and hunting for the free wifi spot at the hotel. 

But now I’m in Tulum stuffing my face at a free buffet and drinking free booze, and I can’t complain about that!

That awkward moment when the new hire twists their ankle on their second day on the job... after working themselves to a low-grade case of heat exhaustion the day before.

Kid, I love your work ethic, but... you gotta take care of yourself first. Just 'cause you see me doing something crazy doesn't mean you can. I've got 5 years of experience and practice. :P 

Spoiler
17 hours ago, LordFerret said:

9.22.14-ANGRY-MAN-reduced-size.png

The opposite nozzles compensate the thrust force of each other, so the craft stays motionless.
But heat and stretch should be being observed with caution.

Edited by kerbiloid

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

The opposite nozzles compensate the thrust force of each other, so the craft stays motionless.
But heat and stretch should be being observed with caution.

But there does appear to be a slight upwards vector to the thrust, so the major stressor is from trying not to be driven into the ground

7 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But there does appear to be a slight upwards vector to the thrust, so the major stressor is from trying not to be driven into the ground

In a more philosophical manner, who's to say the major stressor doesn''t come from being able to leave it?

Edited by Guest
wrong thread lol