Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

So I just spent an hour trying over and over to get a config for Kopernicus to load. Nothing major, just a simple change to verify I understood the process.

I must have modified the file a dozen times and reloaded the game. The final time, I just copied one of the simple example files and it STILL didn't change anything. It was driving me crazy.

Then I realized I had forgot to copy Module Manager.

palm -> face.

Can we use this thread for headdesk ?

WHO IN THE HELL FETCH SOAP FROM A SOAP DISPENSER WITH THEIR BACK OF THE HAND UPWARDS AND THE PALM DOWNWARDS ??!?!?!

I and at least 10 millions other people in the capital of the tropical country where I live have darker skins. Does that mean they doesn't work here at all then ?

1 hour ago, YNM said:

WHO IN THE HELL FETCH SOAP FROM A SOAP DISPENSER WITH THEIR BACK OF THE HAND UPWARDS AND THE PALM DOWNWARDS ??!?!?!

I and at least 10 millions other people in the capital of the tropical country where I live have darker skins. Does that mean they doesn't work here at all then ?

Java is located in the Southern hemisphere (I've just checked).
So, as on-wall things at your place are upside-down, it's normal to flip your hands when you are taking them.

24 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Java is located in the Southern hemisphere (I've just checked).
So, as on-wall things at your place are upside-down, it's normal to flip your hands when you are taking them.

But Borneo, Sumatra, Celebes and Papua all straddles the equator...

Also, what about India and Indochina ? It's a genuinely shallow point to bring up.

Edited by YNM

1 minute ago, YNM said:

But Borneo, Sumatra, Celebes and Papua all straddles the equator...

Also, what about India and Indochina ? It's a genuinely shallow point to bring up.

I'm now complaining that you have broken a nice hypothesis.

Ok, my complaint for today...

New rental company is managing the complex I live in. Here's the problem - now they want to do quarterly "property checks" - and according to the law of the state I live in, they are entitled to do it. However, it's one of those bad things left over from my Army days - because all I hear is QUARTERLY INSPECTION.

And to top it all off, I really don't want to go to work today.

19 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Here's the problem - now they want to do quarterly "property checks" - and according to the law of the state I live in, they are entitled to do it.

Why ? Wouldn't it be good for owners and renters ?

We lease out some buildings in our extended family. Most that I know have a "return as it was rented" clause, so the renters have to either fix it before the rent ended or keep it as is.

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Why ? Wouldn't it be good for owners and renters ?

We lease out some buildings in our extended family. Most that I know have a "return as it was rented" clause, so the renters have to either fix it before the rent ended or keep it as is.

The property management company has changed three times since we've moved into this town house in 2011. While the inspection was easy enough and really no big deal on my end (being a neat freak that I am), I really dislike the new manager who is doing the inspections. She has a comment about nearly everything and even remarked at one point, "there's no way you've read all those books" when she saw my book shelves (and I still have about 5 more boxes packed in a climate controlled storage unit). When I told her that I taught college and that I had read them, and that all were where I get the materials for the lectures I give, the Ph.D. comps, etc, her response made me mad, "oh, so you're one of those egg-headed educated people, eh?"

In the past we have had our run-ins before today's fiasco. About half-way through her berating me about being over educated, the maintenance supervisor walked in and heard the tail-end of her rant against me. In our row of townhouses, we've never been late on a rent payment, we don't own a dog yet I still pick up the dog poop in my front lawn, and I always do a police call in front and behind my building... Yet she's going to berate me? SMH.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

She has a comment about nearly everything and even remarked at one point, "there's no way you've read all those books" when she saw my book shelves (and I still have about 5 more boxes packed in a climate controlled storage unit). When I told her that I taught college and that I had read them, and that all were where I get the materials for the lectures I give, the Ph.D. comps, etc, her response made me mad, "oh, so you're one of those egg-headed educated people, eh?"

Tough childhood without vitamines, wooden toys nailed to ceiling, heavy arms of drunken babysitter. Understand and forgive.

Edited by kerbiloid

Apparently, I'm the bad guy because I actually expect my wife to have actually packed and and moved her crap out and pay her damn car payment after five months. :rolleyes:

Am I an ass if I start dropping off the (voluntary) child support checks in an envelope full of job applications?

7 hours ago, YNM said:

Oh.

Bring her a good dose of lethal sarcasm.

Oh, don't worry, I did. Right before she left, she made a stupid comment, "since you're always giving other people grades, I'm going to give your apartment a B. I still think you have way to many books." My response was, "well, if I were giving you a grade, you'd need to retake the course. You don't go around insulting your residents who cause no troubles or pay their rent on time..." The poor maintenance supervisor was on the verge of busting out laughing, but you could tell he was having to hold it back. She wasn't amused.

Yesterday evening, the maintenance supervisor came back down and apologized for the property manager's comments. As I told him, he's not responsible for her lack of intelligence or her big mouth. He told me that he had told the supervisor over her what had happened and the management company is not happy with the way I was treated by her during the inspection. I'm supposed to expect a phone call from them sometime today.

7 hours ago, razark said:

Apparently, I'm the bad guy because I actually expect my wife to have actually packed and and moved her crap out and pay her damn car payment after five months. :rolleyes:

Am I an ass if I start dropping off the (voluntary) child support checks in an envelope full of job applications?

Ah, been there and done that. When my first wife left me, she took crap with her she had bought when I was deployed for my second tour in Haiti. Junk from the Rent-A-Ripoff that if she'd just allowed us to save money for three months we could have bought a heck of a lot cheaper. For close to six months I had to deal with them looking for her to try and get the stuff back. Funny thing was they couldn't go after me - my name wasn't on the Rent-a-Ripoff application - it did have hers and her boyfriend's name on it. :cool:

I wouldn't consider you an ass. In fact, I actually did that for nearly a year. Every time I mailed her a child support check I included job applications and the Rent-a-Ripoff repossession notices, warnings, and court notices in the same envelope.

7 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Right before she left, she made a stupid comment, "since you're always giving other people grades, I'm going to give your apartment a B. I still think you have way to many books." My response was, "well, if I were giving you a grade, you'd need to retake the course. You don't go around insulting your residents who cause no troubles or pay their rent on time..." The poor maintenance supervisor was on the verge of busting out laughing, but you could tell he was having to hold it back. She wasn't amused.

Maybe she just wanted to invite you into their virtual cloud, and tried to say that you could save a lot of space by having your books electronically.
But as a real IT nerd she was just out of soft skills.

(Though, after " I'm going to give your apartment a B. I still think you have way to many books."  I don't understand: is it a campus , and they distribute the rooms arbitrary, according to the volume of a dweller's property, or why does she care? )

20 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

one of those egg-headed educated people

And you should have pointed out to her that she's one of those useless, contributes nothing to mankind, Rent Seekers. And likely not knowing what the hell that meant, it probably would have shut her right up for a while until she looked it up.

2 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe she just wanted to invite you into their virtual cloud, and tried to say that you could save a lot of space by having your books electronically.
But as a real IT nerd she was just out of soft skills.

Ok, but how about those folks who have pictures hanging all over their walls? Wouldn't a digital photo frame suffice? After all, some have a 32G + internal storage capacity. No need for all those pictures when just one picture will do...

It's about two things, preference and availability. I prefer books and love the feel of the weight of a book, especially if it is one I enjoy reading. But the availability is another issue, not every book published is in some e-reader format. I have some books from the late 19th century which will never be converted to e-reader format because there are no markets for them. But I have them (and sometimes use them) nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Though, after " I'm going to give your apartment a B. I still think you have way to many books."  I don't understand: is it a campus , and they distribute the rooms arbitrary, according to the volume of a dweller's property, or why does she care?

She's always one of these people, at the ripe "ol'" age of 28, who sees herself as witty, oh and she will often talk in third person. "Oh, let's see what we can do to get Claire to give you a receipt..." Since they've hired her two years ago, I literally cringe every time I have to deal with her. She thinks she's funny... and to tell you the truth, she's not. She's simply pathetic. One time she even complained that I don't use the "environmentally friendly" fluorescent bulbs in my townhouse and said that there are benefits to using them over the old-fashioned incandescent bulb.

I had to explain to her that those bulbs are NOT environmentally friendly and if you read the box, you are supposed to call the local HAZMAT folks if you should bust one. And then I explain to her that they are not "migraine" friendly and when I am having a migraine I can literally hear the hum.

She told me I was being nasty about it and she was still right...

No, I'm sorry, she's still an idiot. My townhouse, I pay rent, I use the damned lights I want to use.

8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

And you should have pointed out to her that she's one of those useless, contributes nothing to mankind, Rent Seekers. And likely not knowing what the hell that meant, it probably would have shut her right up for a while until she looked it up.

@LordFerret - that's a good one! I was so shocked that she called me that that I was just not thinking.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

He told me that he had told the supervisor over her what had happened and the management company is not happy with the way I was treated by her during the inspection. I'm supposed to expect a phone call from them sometime today.

In some ways, you are the customer, not them.

Still, I hope people learn. Sloowly.

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

My townhouse, I pay rent, I use the damned lights I want to use.

LEDs might worth the bill saving though. Try find the slightly yellow ones.

Though, for the record, put the wrong LED into the wrong housing and they overheat and go out. Bit of a tight spot for those smaller bulbs.

Edited by YNM

Ok, my turn to vent. :mad:

So I religiously visit my school library, even though it's summer vacations here. I never miss out on 'library day' (which is Monday to Thursday, 8am to 3pm). I do not entertain any phone calls, texts, whatsapp...I stay away from distractions in those seven hours. 

So, a bunch of seniors, a couple of seats away from me, were having trouble with co-ordinate geometry assignment. They eventually gave up on it and got busy with their individual matters. One of the girls, who sorta knew me scooted over, trying to find out what I was doing. Eventually we started talking and began discussing the co-ordinate geometry assignment..I could not solve all of those, But I got quite a few problems correct! We were enjoying doing the assignment together, when her classmate interrupted, ridiculing her for taking help from a junior. Not ridiculing, it was more like bullying, he called her ugly names too.. The girl got teary eyed, apparently she is an easy target for such bullys!!.

I told him to mind his own business, he told me to f*** off. I ridiculed him for behaving like a 9 year old who had just learnt what the phrase 'f*** off' means. He remarked how I was a junior and a  girl on top of that and thus should remember my place. (WTH!):huh:

Hearing this commotion, the librarian intervened. That bully's friend(a nice guy, actually) apologized on his behalf and dragged the bully out of the library....

AND THAT'S IT! NO PUNISHMENT FOR THE BULLY/MISOGYNIST OTHER THAN A SLAP ON THE WRIST. If it were not for my cousin brothers ganging up on him,  threatening and intimidating the life out of him after school, I might have been the next target!

:Sorry for the longish rant..But I found this thread and I just HAD to rant!!!!!:

On 6/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, adsii1970 said:

"oh, so you're one of those egg-headed educated people, eh?"

"Well maybe not that bad, but I'm surely not an uneducated doofus! You know the type, right? That thinks THIS <points at bookshelf> is a lot of books to read!"

6 hours ago, Nivee~ said:

AND THAT'S IT! NO PUNISHMENT FOR THE BULLY/MISOGYNIST OTHER THAN A SLAP ON THE WRIST. If it were not for my cousin brothers ganging up on him,  threatening and intimidating the life out of him after school, I might have been the next target!

You see, smartphones are useful toys on these situations. If you have a decent data-plan, you can even do a youtube-live… :sticktongue:

16 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

"Well maybe not that bad, but I'm surely not an uneducated doofus! You know the type, right? That thinks THIS <points at bookshelf> is a lot of books to read!"

Exactly. I don't understand why people don't like to read. Even if it is a fiction novel, reading expands the mind... but we do live in a post-Spongebob society... Sadly.

16 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I don't understand why people don't like to read.

I don't understand it either. 

My problem has been finding a chance to read.  I find it very hard to read when it's not quiet, and until lately, it seems like there's always a TV on, or a phone playing youtube, or video games, or loud music, etc. constantly.  Or all of them at once!  Yeesh.

48 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Exactly. I don't understand why people don't like to read. Even if it is a fiction novel, reading expands the mind... but we do live in a post-Spongebob society... Sadly.

People read quite often.

Well, at least small snippets...

9 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

People read quite often.

Well, at least small snippets...

I dunno. Each semester I give a 10 question survey to the students. Out of the 74 students I have this summer, only 11 said they read for fun. 54 said they actively try to avoid having to read books or newspapers, or any sort of recreational reading. The rest claimed they do their reading on either social media or Facebook.