Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

they get into trance and start chewing with glassy eyes, like a cattle

You're confusing this 'trance state' with 'still asleep'... now shut up and leave me alone while I eat, I'm not awake yet! MORE COFFEE!!

So, before my mom got her gall bladder removed, when I had to get stuff at the grocery store, I would have to check the ingredients list for an additive called Monosodium Glutamate, or MSG for short. Eating too much of things that had it would make her have cramps. We had to watch out for it until last November when she got her gall bladder removed.  I haven't searched it up or anything, but I believed it had trouble around the gall bladder, since now she can eat as much food with MSG as she wants.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

now shut up and leave me alone while I eat, I'm not awake yet! MORE COFFEE!!

y'know whats better? put pure caffeine powder in your water! gives ya' a REAL boost!

18 minutes ago, Fraston said:

So, before my mom got her gall bladder removed, when I had to get stuff at the grocery store, I would have to check the ingredients list for an additive called Monosodium Glutamate, or MSG for short. Eating too much of things that had it would make her have cramps. We had to watch out for it until last November when she got her gall bladder removed.  I haven't searched it up or anything, but I believed it had trouble around the gall bladder, since now she can eat as much food with MSG as she wants.

y'know whats better? put pure caffeine powder in your water! gives ya' a REAL boost!

Yea, but it tastes like BLECH!

21 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

When words don't work, let the fear force everyone to care about safe sex.

I want to change careers and train as an airline pilot, but it costs circa. £100,000 that you have to pay yourself. You can apply for certain courses which guarantee you a job at the end, as long as you meet the qualifications (and of course, get accepted at the beginning). There are other pathways but this is the only way I could afford to do it. There are also age restrictions, only some airlines train new pilots over the age of 25-30. And theres the fact that this is a huge career/life change and I already have financial responsibilities and a safe, reasonably paid job. Oh and airlines only open recruitment when needed.

It means hanging on, hoping to change your life, but not knowing when and even if it will be possible, and if it does turn out to be possible, then I will be lumped with a 100,000 loan.

Did I mention we are attempting to buy a house this year too?

Its pretty much my only chance (my career experience has pigeonholed me somewhat) to change the track of my life from "job I hate but pays the bills" to "job I actually want to get out of bed for".

I know what the solutions are (grit your teeth and suffer through it) but heck, its worth complaining about.

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Just went to the last Toys-R-Us in our area. There were two shelves of those gross monster things that nobody wanted to buy no matter the price and some trinkets. I'm sad now.

I remember going to Toys-R-Us with my birthday money when I was in grade school forty-plus years ago. End of an era. :(

On 6/23/2018 at 11:23 AM, Aperture Science said:

First of all, it's California. Second, it's the Washington Post.

Need I or anyone say anything else?

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I remember going to Toys-R-Us with my birthday money when I was in grade school forty-plus years ago. End of an era. :(

Yes, sadly, it is the end of an era. This is another example of how progress ain't always great.

Edited by LordFerret

Spoiler
3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

First of all, it's California. Second, it's the Washington Post.

Need I or anyone say anything else?

And they are diametrically opposed things.

Literally. I've just watched a map.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

And they are diametrically opposed things.

Literally. I've just watched a map.

In one sense, yes; In another... I'm not permitted to discuss it due to forum rules.

I mentioned earlier that I've been getting that model building itch, once again...
Working on replicating the "Apollo look" with my KSP Instrument/Control Panel is awakening my inner modeler!
I also mentioned (in a  previous complaint) how prices for model train stuff has skyrocketed in the decades since I last partook in the hobby...

Well, there are still a few bastions of sanity, one being used stuff off ebay. As long as you're willing to put in a little effort to clean it up and get it rolling right, all should be well! This is an important factor that I'll return too, but first, I feel like sharing... (and oh boy, belive me... the tangents... Wow... Enjoy the ride:confused:

So, my plans are ultimately, to model DME (Dakota, Minnesota, and Eastern) as my primary railroad. Along with DME, I want to also have a smidgen of ICE (Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern, DME's sister railroad), CNW (Chicago & Northwestern, the railroad DME and ICE branched off from), and a very small spattering of "The Rock". Officially CRIP (Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific, rebadged ROCK in the 70s.), "The Rock" was a railroad that had a lot of people batting for it's survival, but in the end, it ran out of money in the middle of a strike, and that was that. All their assets got liquidated to pay off debts, and while "The Rock" was no more, it's railcars fanned out onto other railroads, including CNW, which in turn spawned the DME and ICE roads. Their railcars and locomotives were VERY noticeable... A turquoise/sky-blue sorta color (depending on how much the sun had faded it), with a giant angular hexagonal black "R" on the side, and "THE ROCK" or "ROUTE ROCK" printed in big, bold, enormous, white lettering. They were eye catching! Much like DME and ICE did, The Rock also named their locomotives after places, people, and groups. One of the fan favorites of Rock Island was actually a tribute in return, locomotive #4310 "The American Railfan".

Spoiler

rr0608v.jpg

I have decided I need to model this... But I digress... :D

The thing that bound DME, ICE, and "The Rock" together as being so unique in a sea of heavy transportation machinery, was that incredibly "personal touch" that they seemed to give their locomotives. You just don't see that anymore. So many of the old smaller lines have failed or have been bought out by the big lines, and they certainly don't tend to do creative things like what the small regional lines like DME and ICE did... "The Rock", DME, and ICE had the named locomotives, Chessie System had a floofin' SLEEPING KITTEN as their logo. What set Rock Island apart was that, while not the largest railroad, they were still pretty big... They covered a region that included Chicago, Minnesota, South Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana,  Arkansas, and Tennessee. "The Rock" was not small, yet they still took the time to create a series of locomotives like that, and they did so before DME or ICE were even around. I almost wonder if they inspired the people at DME and ICE to follow suit.

The failure of Rock Island was kinda shocking when it happened. People knew there were troubles, but no one expected a complete financial collapse. They expected a gradual recovery, and it was working! Projections had them being profitable by the end of 1980, a first for them since the mid 60s! As I stated, a strike struck them in the worst possible way, at the worst possible time... And then the government stepped in. Expectedly, everything came crashing to the ground once that happened.

When I was a kid, I always was fascinated by those lone bright blue boxcars and hoppers that would roll by at random... DME used mostly grey for most of their rolling stock, with a mix of blacks and occasionally other muted colors, but not "The Rock"... Those railcars stood out like beacons! I am VERY nostalgic about them, and I had always intended to grab a few of those to intersperse with my other models, just like I always remembered them. I never knew back then, when I was just a kid, that the company those once belonged to was long gone. They ceased operations around the time I was only about half a year old.

Now on to my point, and my first complaint for the day...

Complaint one: I am saddened that this personal touch is lost on most railroads. I genuinely miss the old DME locos and playing "spot the city name" as they passed by. These days, it's all CP (Canadian Pacific) or UP (Union Pacific), and every locomotive is the same, save for an unremarkable number. Even Chessie the kitten is gone from Chessie System... It's been swallowed up by CSX (Just CSX... That's the name. Lawyers made it up... Not even joking about that one). Needless to say, that personal touch is long gone. I know there's still a few railroads out there that still do that stuff from time to time, but it's far more rare these days. Interestingly, CSX is one of them. They have a handful of "named" locomotives, and even a few with the classic logos... But it wasn't done for nostalgia... The layers made them do it to retain legal control of the vintage logos. That's just... sad. :(

Now, nostalgia bombs and what not made me look something up. When I was a kid I remember my family driving up to a town for their "Railroad Days" festival. It was one of these annual small town things... Carnival rides in the park, food stands, bounce house, etc. What made it "Railroad Days" was they would get this scaled steam locomotive out there, on narrow gauge track and give rides on the mini-train, and they had an old rail depot converted into a train museum. It was a pretty big event, and there was so much to see and do... Except for reasons I didn't learn till years later, the Model Railroad Club that normally held an open house... Was closed. I never got to see the model trains, and for years, I wanted to see that.

That's why I looked it up, and decided after two and half decades, I was going back to see those model trains that I'd missed so many years before. I got there, and let me tell you, they have an awesome setup. When you enter, there's a display case with numerous models and railcars that don't fit on the layouts on display. to the left, is a massive O gauge layout. it follows the entire side and back wall, in an inverted "L" shape. On the floor level, under the edge of that O gauge layout, is another simpler, and smaller Lionel set for kids to play with and control. if you walk around the display case, you see the back side is the same, but showing off locomotives. behind it is a massive "S" shaped wall, and an HO scale layout snakes along that wall, up one side and back down the other side. In the back curve, it's completely dark, with only dim UV lighting, and the lighting of building, signs and street lamps. They play "night" sounds, like crickets, and occasionally, storm noises, with "lightning flash" strobes and thunder sound effects to simulate night and the occasional storm. VERY cool.

After having my childhood wish restored... Well, we lead into my second complaint...

Complaint two: Railroad days is a shell of it's once former amazingness. They screwed up the permitting for the park, so they couldn't even have it in the park, next to the Rail Depot Museum or the Model Railroad Club... Nope! It was half way across town in the BACK PARKING LOT of the POST OFFICE! They had a couple bounce houses, three food stands, picnic tables... And that was the entire "carnival". They did (to their credit) have some rides. They did have horse drawn wagon rides and the city's vintage firetruck offering rides... But the thing that just shattered my nostalgia... was the Lawn Tractor made to look like a steam locomotive, pulling a train of wagons. I mean... It was not the classic miniature ridable steam locomotive of yesteryear, but it did offer the kids a "train ride" of a sort... Around the parking lot. I was neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed... I was just whelmed. :/

They botched that event, and the years have certainly not been kind to it at all... Of most significant disappointment, and where we come into complaint three...

Complaint Three: They advertised a vendor/trade/fleamarket for the event... And the entire thing got canceled outright! :mad: Visiting the Model Railroad Club was the number one reason for going, and that certainly still made the trip worth it, but I didn't go there to ride the kiddy train (steam or lawn tractor, regardless)... My secondary reason for going, is that a flea market is where I first discovered N scale, with a $7 train set, bought at my own home town's local festival's fleamarket. I figured, a fleamarket at a railroad specific event was bound to have model railroading stuff for sale, and probably some good deals! As I said way back up at the beginning, I figure used stuff is gonna be my ticket back into the hobby, and where better to find used model railroad stuff than at a railroad festival's fleamarket!

Which was canceled... :huh:

So, i soon got bored with the husk of a once vibrant festival's empty chrysalis, only redeemed by the shining beautiful butterfly that is the town's Model Railroad Club. I found out that the club had moved to a new building back when I went as a kid, which explains why they were closed those many years ago. I ended up leaving and heading back home, deciding to pass through my home town. I visited my mother for a while, helped her out in her garden, and when it was getting a bit late, I decided to head home. I was gonna stop by my father's place too, but it was getting late, and I figured, I'd not bother him (I only live 15 minutes away, so I see them both frequently). I got home, and got more bored, and decided to browse ebay, and look at a few cheap Rock Island boxcars and hoppers. There were a few that were in good looking condition, and were cheap. I had set aside money for the fleamarket, but since I spent exactly none of it, I ended up buying groceries for my mother and myself. I ended up getting more than I'd planned, and then grabbed a few other odds and ends as well. I still had some cash, and my bills were paid, so I said sure! I'll start out my new collection with a few of those beautiful blue Rock Island railcars. I hit the buy it now, and ended up getting four of them, plus some graffiti decals (I like modeling things with a bit of grit to them, including the graffiti). In the end, I spent about $60. I felt I'd gotten a really good deal... And then... I realized I was an idiot...

Complaint Four: I had set aside $60 for the NES Classic Mini that's coming out (again) this Friday. Nintendo is re-releasing it, due to the incredible demand, I had waited in line to get my SNES Classic, but I never got the NES Classic. Remember that bit about spending $60 on Rock Island railcars? Yeah... Oops! I checked my cash... Whew! I have enough still, even counting for tax... But that leaves me with all of $5 to last me for two weeks... ;.; At least I have groceries!

Now, that bit where I said I decided not to bother my Dad late, and then just went home, and spent all my money on groceries and tiny trains, forgetting about my planned NES Classic purchase... Well, I was out of town, focusing on Railroad   Mehs  ... Days, and forgot about the Auto Show in my own town. I'm less concerned with the auto show, and more concerned with the drive in movie they always project on the side of the grandstand at the fair grounds, once it gets dark. My Dad was watching one of my brother's kids, when my other brother called him, asking if he wanted to come see the movie. He said no. Decided he should probably just stay home. The kids wanted to go, but he decided to not bother. Now, by pure, random coincidence, just a measly week prior, I had been talking to him on the phone, and he mentioned a movie. He saw part of it on TV, never caught the title, and kinda wanted to see the whole thing. He still lives in the dark ages (aka, he has no internet), so he asked me to try to look it up. I found it in like, 10 seconds, of course. I told him that if he enjoyed that one, there's a much older one he's GOT to see... It was Spielberg's first movie, back in the early 70s. "Duel"... About some poor guy just trying to drive home, ending up stalked by a crazy trucker that he'd passed, with a homicidal case of road rage. The suspense is set up just perfectly in that movie. Told him if I ever find a copy, I'd bring it. And that leads to...

Complaint Five: WE MISSED seeing "DUEL", played on the side of a flippin' BUILDING!!! Of COURSE they played Duel at the auto show's drive in! Ugh! He wanted to go, but kinda didn't wanna bother cause he'd have the drag the kids along... Except they DID wanna go! I wanted to see it, but only learned it was playing AFTER THE FACT!!!  If I had just stopped by my Dad's place, despite it being late, or not wasted so much time making myself broke buying extra groceries, or yada yada yada... I'd have got to see Duel with my Dad and my Brother, a mere WEEK after I'd mentioned it, and at an old school style DRIVE IN, no less... And I missed it... ;.;

Complaint Six: This complaint is way too long! :P
All that mess, just to say I'm broke, I missed seeing a movie with my family, and I was very whelmed by the Railroad Days "festival".

Edited by richfiles
Told you the tangents would be a real trip! :P

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

I want to also have a smidgen of ICE

You see, when you say "ICE" I think of the German high speed train (InterCity Express).

So I guess my complaint for the day goes to the ambiguous name of an american railway system.

13 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Why is it that two hours at home on the couch playing KSP lasts five minutes, while the last two hours of work at the end of the week lasts 743 years?

Ahhahahaha... I don't know, but I think I'm printing this one up and hanging it on my wall... lmao.... :D

40 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Why is it that two hours at home on the couch playing KSP lasts five minutes, while the last two hours of work at the end of the week lasts 743 years?

Ahhh, now that's the truth!

26 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Ahhahahaha... I don't know, but I think I'm printing this one up and hanging it on my wall... lmao.... :D

Good idea!

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I postulated quite some time ago, before this forum existed, that the rate at which time passes is directly proportional to the square of how much fun you are having. This merely provides another confirming data pint... (Oops, typo,  maybe you’re looking forward to an after-work pint too much)

i have yet to see that theory disproved...:cool:

It's not in my style to complaint... But...

I'm furious about my situation, I bought a flat several month ago. Today I received a call from the seller telling me that the program for the building is cancelled, the flat will never be constructed.

So I lost one year waiting for a construction start while the guys was telling that everything was normal and just a little bit delayed.

No real money lost in this operation but I'm furious.

3 minutes ago, Urus28 said:

No real money lost in this operation but I'm furious.

There's a thing called "Opportunity Costs" - the money you had lost by not using it on something else.

So, yeah. You lost some money. Not sure if this is recoverable, but you should be really liquided with these guys.

Edited by Lisias
yeah. grammars this time