Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

40 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I'm sorry what?

When does it start then?

20th of July is the last day of school for me and it starts again at the 10th of September.

Okay, another complaint. Not to offend anyone, but why does everyone assume i live in Berlin? It was just a 4 day foreign  school trip!

How many times have i said on this forum in the Netherlands!? Potverdorie!

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Okay, another complaint. Not to offend anyone, but why does everyone assume i live in Berlin? It was just a 4 day foreign  school trip!

Once in Berlin always in Berlin...

The city that consumes ALL...

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

but why does everyone assume i live in Berlin?

I didn't. I know that you don't. But I did assume that you were talking about Berlin. And in that case the vacation already began, your complaint would have made no sense.

Ok, so my rant for the day is this:

Why are some of the SpaceX fans....er....rabid? I tried to compare the merits and demerits of a flyback booster and propulsive landing booster with my friend. (let's not kid ourselves, both options have their own crapton of problems) But I did not realize that his fanboying over spaceX had left no space in his head for rational, civilized thoughts... He started saying how "SpaceX's booster was the best! There are none like Elon!!"

A pity, really....He used to be a pretty reasonable fellow before getting absorbed into the spaceX cult.... And, why does Elon Musk hype himself so much! Granted, he completes the goals that he sets in (martian, not earth) time. But is an endless PR campaign really necessary? Won't it just blow up in the face when a BFS blows up because of a faulty strut? And he is not the one designing the rockets, people know that, right? There is an entire workforce which works in the shadows while Elon gets all the credit!! For God's sake, he is only the CTO of GNC.... His cult even tries to defend his wrongdoings sometimes!!

Jeff Bezos is also well into the space business, but he is keeping quiet about the Big Reusable Rocket that he's building. Because he is more experienced, and knows about the possible risks!

Edited by Vanamonde

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

So, you are: Ich bin ein Berliner ?

:lol:

37 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

And, why does Elon Musk hype himself so much! Granted, he completes the goals that he sets in (martian, not earth) time. But is an endless PR campaign really necessary? Won't it just blow up in the face when a BFS blows up because of a faulty strut? 

Steve Jobs effect. He knows that some blunders are unavoidable, but he thrusts that people like your friend will outvocal any criticism. 

It works. :-/

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It works.

To great effect.... Sometimes, I really wish that a falcon 9 carrying a DoD payload explodes, and future contracts are put on hold for sometime. Then perhaps he will realize the first rule of hype: "Never believe yourself to be what you have made others think that you are."

A little humilty, that's all that the rational people want from Elon Musk, really...

9 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

A little humilty, that's all that the rational people want from Elon Musk, really...

Unlikely. It's all about PR. He doesn't do it because he's arrogant (perhaps he is, perhaps not ), he does it because it works.

Interesting times we are living... 

Edited by Lisias
Better grammars

Great op-ed I read about Musk the other day:

Elon Musk’s Thai Cave Rescue Grandstanding Explains What’s Wrong with Tesla

Tracinski specifically discusses Tesla, because that is where things are starting to unravel for Musk at this moment in time, but it could just as well apply at SpaceX as well if things start going badly.

Musk strikes me as the sort of guy who always believes that he is the smartest guy in the room. It may be that he is usually the smartest guy in the room, maybe even that he is almost always the smartest guy in the room. But there is always going to be some situation where he is outside of his experience and needs to defer to someone else. I wonder if he's capable of it.

Just now, TheSaint said:

Musk strikes me as the sort of guy who always believes that he is the smartest guy in the room

This! I sometimes like to guess people's age based on their statements in the KSP forums...and if I read Elon Musk's tweet against the Thai diver as a complete stranger who has no idea who Elon Musk is, I would probably label him as an arrogant kid who hates it when things don't go his way...In other words, a bratty teenager.

Some of the whole Musk cave story is explained by information content and the news. At the time Musk was tweeting about novel rescue ideas, the news stories I was reading (him as well, presumably) were explicitly stating that the kids were likely going to be in the cave another month training to dive out. The idea of diving them out was considered extremely dangerous, particularly after the loss of the Thai SEAL, and something they'd consider sooner only with deteriorating weather.

The submarine concept was sort of specific to the idea of a rescue without any training for the victim.

Maybe the coverage stating that they'd be in there another month was never something the actual team said, and just misreporting, but I think it explains at least the motivation and timing issues since at the time the SpaceX people showed up, they might have been expecting the rescue to be weeks away, not days/hours away.

Even so, without understanding the ground scenario, and the fact that differences in assumptions and realities could require a dramatic redesign of the submarine, and how such redesigns could happen in a remote location, he would have thought about those points, right?

I think so.

Also probably such self-made mini-subs are suggested once per week in the rescue divers' forums, and the divers get hypergolic when hear this again.

Edited by kerbiloid

Musk, Tesla, and submarines.

Solution to turning out cars for quota... make that half-quota... reduce number of chassis welds by 50.

Don't (final) test the brakes before the vehicle rolls out of production.

(And then on top of all that, make the car self-drive.)

You wanna ride in his sub?

By the way, that flooded tunnel, it wasn't flooded the entire length. Not to mention, at one point a cliff had to be climbed (in the dark). So what use a sub exactly?

The media and Musk are a flippin joke. More so, those watching and eating it up with gusto.

I like the work SpaceX has been doing, don't get me wrong.. but I have this lingering feeling that his idiocy might hamper with the Mars mission he has planned... and we all know that's perhaps our only chance to go interplanetary in this lifetime....

38 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

I like the work SpaceX has been doing, don't get me wrong.. but I have this lingering feeling that his idiocy might hamper with the Mars mission he has planned... and we all know that's perhaps our only chance to go interplanetary in this lifetime....

I honestly don't think chemical rockets will allow us to build up the necessary in-space infrastructure anytime soon. Even with BFR and the like. I think it may happen using chemical rockets next century. But they're just not capable enough. Bases on Mars? Maybe. Interplanetary civilization, as in colonies? Doubtful.

Not to say I wouldn't like some really cool stuff to happen.

Pieces of dry carbon dioxide, smoking from cups and chalices, do magic in any fantasy movie.
And we just keep the ice-cream cold with them... :(
Ice-cream, Carl... :facepalm:

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, Sorabh said:

If we don't plant out feet on Mars in the next 20 years (top), we are not going to do it at all.

We are already in a verge of an extinction event. The present civilization will not withhold for more than 50 years IMHO, and after that, we will have to start all over again.

Edited by Lisias
typos! argh!!!