Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Last time I needed to travel, I compared prices for an airline, vs the train... I splurged on the train, and got a sleeper for myself. One ENTIRE tiny private room, ALL FOR ME!!! :D
It had a BED! It had giant windows! It had a dining car! There were drinks (and depending on the state we were in at the moment... alcoholic!!!)!
All for a price similar to the airline ticket. Sure, it took longer, but I enjoyed the trip.

How is this a complaint? Thanks America... Thanks for letting the passenger rail network collapse into a shadow of what it once was. I had to still drive THREE HOURS to reach a passenger train stop. I could have driven 2 hours to go to a stop that was closer, but it would have added 2 more hours to the train trip, and that would mean getting up even earlier. The lack of passenger service is an absolute tragedy. Sure, the big cities have rail service within the city and some of the suburbs, but that's about it. Air travel killed train travel, and then air travel started to suck... But all the trains were gone... ;.;

Edited by richfiles

Okay, to start off what I'm complaining about is only 20% of our grade, but...

This year in PE we have a new teacher. He's like the polar opposite of last year's teacher, who was really lax and you could do almost anything and still pass the class. This year, we're graded on our athletic performance. Which I agree, should happen within reason, but he's taking it too far in my opinion.

We have 20 tests a year, these can be pull-ups, push-ups, long jump, or the pacer test. Let's take the pacer test for example. If you don't know what this is, basically you have to run 15 meters and turn around in 7 seconds, repeat. The 7 seconds goes down by some every once and a while.

Now for all of these tests, we have to match the 90th national percentile to get a 90%, and it goes down from there, separated from percentile rankings. For the pacers, for example, it goes down 1% per lap. if you scored 20 less than the 90th percentile you would get 70% on the pacer test.

Today's test was not graded, but we did the pacer test. I consider myself above average in the athletic department, not amazing but decent. I was able to get a 41 on the test, the best person in the class got a 67.

The national 90th percentile for my age group and gender is 80. EIGHTY. If it was graded, most of the class just failed. My best ever was back in middle school at 53, which would get me a B+ if I was a 16 year old girl.

The best person in the class would have gotten a C! I was one of the last 6 people and I got an F! In order to get an A on the test you have to be literally amazing. And something doesn't sound right about 10% of boys my age being able to do 80.

And because everyone contributes to the national average, everyone is graded on it. If you have asthma, too bad.

Again, the tests are only going to count for 20% of our grade, so if I keep performing where I am and do the other 80% perfectly I will get an A-. But still.

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

For the pacers, for example, it goes down 1% per lap. if you scored 20 less than the 90th percentile you would get 70% on the pacer test.

Train up.

The question is, does the teacher facilitates that ? If yes then it makes sense.

Or it might be based off the class itself, so your friend that got 67 laps gets it highest.

In any case, it might be to try and fix what is perceived as a downward trend in health level.

46 minutes ago, YNM said:

Train up.

46 minutes ago, YNM said:

In any case, it might be to try and fix what is perceived as a downward trend in health level.

Both agreeable points. I still think the standards they are aiming for are unrealistically high.

45 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I still think the standards they are aiming for are unrealistically high.

They'll see it for themselves. I'm sure they'll work on a compromise.

EDIT : I think I remember doing it in early junior high (middle) up to level 8, and a friend made it to level 12... or maybe it's just a figment.

Edited by YNM

I hate my life. I hate everything about it. Right now I'm feeling worse than I normally do for the first time since a few months. I really wish I simply wouldn't exist anymore. But I know the consequences of committing suicide; I won't do that and I never will, as much as I'd love to sometimes.

Before I go on; I'm incredibly labile. Any small amount of frustration over anything is reason enough for me to consider suicide as a feasible option.
This time it's even more blatant than before: Being told that you cannot do something (as in: an ability, not a matter of permission), something any normal person would be able to shrug off with a smile.
I can't handle it. That was around 2 hours ago, in school.

The subsequent music lesson was the last straw. I've played the piano for around 7-8 years now. I still cannot read notes easily and I know pretty much nothing about how music works, other than what I see on the paper in front of me. It takes months for me to learn how to play 2 minutes worth of notes.
In short: Despite playing the piano for over 50% of my life I can still just barely play it. On top of that I know literally no theory, and that's what is expected in school (Theory is taught at that school, but I went to a different one for the last 5 years. I'm lacking that crucial knowledge).

I'm overwhelmed by the content and the vocabulary I'm supposed to work with.
I don't even know what a third is, but how am I supposed to know when don't get taught what it is? I don't know that basics of how chords work! But I've been using them for years now - At least I'm not doing everything wrong.

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, Delay said:

I hate my life. I hate everything about it. Right now I'm feeling worse than I normally do for the first time since a few months. I really wish I simply wouldn't exist anymore. But I know the consequences of committing suicide; I won't do that and I never will, as much as I'd love to sometimes.

Before I go on; I'm incredibly labile. Any small amount of frustration over anything is reason enough for me to consider suicide as a feasible option.
This time it's even more blatant than before: Being told that you cannot do something (as in: an ability, not a matter of permission), something any normal person would be able to shrug off with a smile.
I can't handle it. That was around 2 hours ago, in school.

The subsequent music lesson was the last straw. I've played the piano for around 7-8 years now. I still cannot read notes easily and I know pretty much nothing about how music works, other than what I see on the paper in front of me. It takes months for me to learn how to play 2 minutes worth of notes.
In short: Despite playing the piano for over 50% of my life I can still just barely play it. On top of that I know literally no theory, and that's what is expected in school (Theory is taught at that school, but I went to a different one for the last 5 years. I'm lacking that crucial knowledge).

I'm overwhelmed by the content and the vocabulary I'm supposed to work with.
I don't even know what a third is, but how am I supposed to know when don't get taught what it is? I don't know that basics of how chords work! But I've been using them for years now - At least I'm not doing everything wrong.

I can help you!

On 8/28/2018 at 7:06 PM, YNM said:

Train up.

The question is, does the teacher facilitates that ? If yes then it makes sense.

Or it might be based off the class itself, so your friend that got 67 laps gets it highest.

To follow up on this, the standards for push-ups and sit-ups are completely reasonable.

But in order to get an A on pull-ups you have to do 12. Overhand. All the way down. The most anyone in our class managed was 5.

So, a couple of days ago I returned from a lovely Mediterranean holiday. 99% of it was great, except for the part where I left my nice Sony headphones on the plane :mad:.

As soon as I got back to my computer, it was straight on to Amazon to buy some new ones. I managed to get better ones for less than my old ones cost, and thanks to Amazon Prime they would be delivered the next day.

Fast forward to today, and I received the news that my new headphones would be delivered by 9pm. Not really ‘next day delivery’ because I ordered them at approximately 3pm. 

At 9pm, I received a message that the delivery had been attempted at 8:16, even though the van had been half a kilometre away at that time (according to the delivery tracker thingy).

Why do delivery drivers have so much difficulty in finding my house? This has happened before, even with my address very clearly written.

I want my new headphones! I really hate earphones TBH. Apparently they will be delivered on the ‘next delivery day’ (which is probably Monday as tomorrow is Sunday).

Grr :mad:

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

But in order to get an A on pull-ups you have to do 12. Overhand. All the way down. The most anyone in our class managed was 5.

I can barely/not even do two in a row on a good day. Underhand. Not all the way down.

12 seems unreasonable.

12 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

To follow up on this, the standards for push-ups and sit-ups are completely reasonable.

Are they aware that in order to get into Ranger School in the Army you're only required to do six?

@Delay, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Here's something to think about. Have you ever heard of Paul McCartney - one of the most influential multi-instrument players and songwriters of all time? Guess what? He can't read music, and there are many more famous musicians and composers who never felt it was important.

Of course, there are plenty of other musicians who do feel it's important, so by all means do your best to learn the things you're being taught, but the most important thing about music is to love playing and to get a feel for the instrument. Did you ever just sit in front of the piano and simply experiment, with no papers in front of you, just for fun?

Edited by Deddly

20 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In 2003, my father and I decided to hike up camelback mountain outside phoenix, while we were on vacation. It was a fun four hour hike. The summit was less hike and more rock climb. Got a great photo of my Dad up there, him holding up a flag, overlooking the city below. We didn't even bring up the flag! It was already there... Extremely photogenic! LOL :D

Anyway, when we got down to the other side, there was an open sided park shelter. My dad is a farmer. Always has been. He never goes to a gym either... He comes up with ideas... A 5 gallon bucket, a rope, a pulley mounted to the ceiling of the barn, and a shovel handle becomes a set of adjustable weights. Just add more to the bucket for more weight. He spotted a metal pole in the rafters of the structure, and immediately knew what it was for... He goes to do some post hike pull-ups, and some young guys say hello, mention they're the ones who put up the pole, and they all agree to a friendly competition. most of them do between 4 and 7 total... My dad did 21 pull-ups... I was quite solidly proud of the dude... 3x the best they could offer! :cool:

While he's starting to get on in years now (he just started collecting social security this year), my dad's very lean, and has a lifetime of muscle toning from his life of physical labor and casual self training. There was no such thing as a weak closet hangar pole in the house I grew up in... If it couldn't handle his weight, it got beefed up. He used to lift himself with the door frames... To this day, it blows me away he could do that. He once climbed my elementary school building by just gripping the corner of the building... That one was pretty crazy... I think it was cause of someone losing a ball to the roof while he was there to pick us up or something... That's just how my dad is! Of course, it's been 15 years since then. He's got more aches and pains, less hair (he once had an afro!), and I suspect no one is more aware of his building limits than him. I doubt he could still do 21 today... I bet he'd only make it to the low teens! ;) :P

He's actually still in pretty great shape, but I always worry how things will be in another decade... :(

A few months ago, a teacher told me not to worry about my exams, because that will have to wait for like 2 years. Oh, wait, he didn't say that a few months ago, that was 2 years ago...

Edited by NSEP

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, if you bought too many gaming PC's, send one my way :cool:

I really need another 8 TB hard drive... or three... I really need to consolidate my cage of old 2 TB drives and retire those old things.
You'd think I was an airport runway when that fleet spins up... :rolleyes:

So for my actual complaints today... I wanted to purchase several N scale covered hopper cars for my collection. There were four DM&E and some other misc stuff I wanted, but the four DM&E ones were what I REALLY wanted... Problem was, the guy wanted $12 to ship the first one... Fine, fine... but $7 for each additional one... For just those four, it'd have been $33 to ship four little bits of painted plastic. I've had twice that quantity shipped for $7 total! The REAL kicker... "Buy it now on each one, and I'll refund you the difference in shipping afterwards... That threw up all kinds of red flags to me! I sent a message saying ebay has a system in place to handle combined shipping on Buy it Now items, that what he was asking for shipping, and the way he was doing it really threw up red flags (scammers do that kind of stuff). I never got a response, and the ebay sales never changed... So I moved on.

Now, suddenly, two and a half weeks later and ebay is suggesting more of his stuff to me in the "recommended listings"... I was gonna ignore it, but checked. After over half a month, he's gone an changed everything to how I suggested he do it... It ALL sold out. All the stuff I wanted, now that his shipping wasn't insanely broken and borderline scammy... All sold. Thanks... Glad I could help you sell your stuff with the advice I gave. Could have at least replied back and said, "Hey, I fixed it, buy my junk!"

Oh well... I suppose I can always just buy new... Retail is only $7 more than the going used prices... Oh wait... I can't. Apparently, the ONE factory in China making all this N scale model stuff for TWELVE DIFFERENT COMPANIES just up and shut down... No notice, no heirs, and the owner is sadly having health issues... Also TWELVE model "manufacturers" put all their eggs into one basket, and now have no new product being produced, possibly for several months, as they try to find another Chinese company to acquire the tooling and set up a new production line... For TWELVE COMPANIES!!! :huh:

Literally can't even buy the things new now!
Twelve... :mad:

So another thing... Landlord is doing inspections (that's a complaint in and of itself). Saw they replaced someone's closet or bathroom door. They're real narrow hollow core doors with no panel insets... 24 x 80 inches (~60 xm x 2 m). These, as it turns out, are AMAZING for model railroad building. They are super light, easy to cut into, if you need to, yet are surprisingly rigid. They're cheap too... That size door new is only $30, and a scratch & dent is a measly $20... And here I got one for FREE!!! How is this a complaint? Oddly enough, MY closet door has a hole punched through it in the EXACT same spot (maybe a bed frame's leg punched through while trying to round the bend into the bedroom)? My old landlord patched the hole rather than replace the door or leave it be... My door could have been a second freebie, and not my fault either, but no! Had to be fixed before my time... :P

Edited by richfiles