Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

Sounds like some people need to get out to a batting cage or golf driving range, or chop some wood, or grab a hockey stick and a ball near a nice solid wall, and really just pound the snot out of something... Always a good way to vent. 

My son went the whole summer without the XB1 because he blew off homework (kept saying it was done until the teachers finally emailed us) to play it, passed math and science by the skin of his shiny white hiney. 

Something, something, whines about being one post off from being the one to roll this thread's page count over to 100 pages... :rolleyes:

Edited by richfiles
WOW!!! There's a HUNDRED pages of us whining!

I've been buying Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern model trains lately, so I can build up my collection for the day when I can actually build a model railroad (I'd rather buy them now, when they're barely affordable, rather than later, when they're impossibly unaffordable)... I keep buying them whenever I see one pop up... And I just realized out of all the different ones I've been buying, one person keeps putting ONE up on ebay, letting it get bid up, then waiting a week and repeating. I have no idea how many they have. I didn't even realize I had bought from the same person... and paid shipping on two separate occasions.

On the bright side, I can always ask how many they got, and see if they'll put up a buy it now lot of 'em all, for the high bid price, per unit... Assuming they'll even go for it. Before I die, I'd like to be able to pull a unit train with at least 40-80 grain hoppers. That's several hundred, to over a thousand dollars, long run... like I said, I'd like to buy these now, while it's still possible to even afford them.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, TheSaint said:

So I get a call from my wife at work this afternoon: Her car died. I drove out to where she was, managed to get it into limp mode, but then about a mile-and-a-half from home it died died. So I had to pull out the recovery kit and tow it. (Hey, Honda, would it kill you to put proper recovery points on your cars!) Got in and started troubleshooting, 95% sure the alternator reached its expiration date, parts are on order. So we get to do the one-car-shuffle this week. And instead of going camping this weekend it looks like I'm going to be playing shadetree mechanic. Woot. :/

But, on the bright side, at least this didn't happen on our two-week road trip back in June. That would have sucked.

Well, after a morning of sweat, toil, and mild cursing, the alternator has been replaced and my wife's car has been restored to service. I also replaced her radio, which had stopped accepting CDs. A fine day's work, now I'm having a beer. :)

For the last week or so, I've been on an STS kick again.  Usually watching STS related videos on YouTube while building and launching shuttles in KSP.

My wife just walked by my computer while I had this up on the screen.

S69-15690~orig.jpg

And she said "Still on the shuttles, huh?".

We just had a very interesting conversation that ended with me accusing her of not knowing the difference between the Enterprise B and Enterprise C.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

From topological point of view, there no difference if beer is inside or outside of the opened can.

Also topologically speaking, the beer and and the bacon are next to each other, without any boundary. (I think at least)

10 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Also topologically speaking, the beer and and the bacon are next to each other, without any boundary. (I think at least)

Indeed.

And as well, when the drinker's mouth is opened and he holds the can in hand, we can consider the beer already being placed inside the stomach (from pov of topology).

So, once someone takes the beer can and opens the can and the mouth, topologically there is no difference if he drinks the beer or not.
He may just drop the can full of beer, the result is the same.

Edited by kerbiloid

Stack Exchange randomly banned me for 4 days.  Not the moderators or anything, just a bot.  It should require a human moderator to ban someone!  I didn't do anything!  Also, everyday it keeps saying I have 1 more day left on my ban.  

So I got Portal 2 yesterday. And once it was done downloading after 5 hours or so I decided to start the game.
Keep in mind that my graphics card is... kinda broken. The driver actually crashes up to >7 times a day, which is a complaint in and of itself.

Anyways; the game does work (at least it did on the second attempt), but not without its fair share of hilariously broken and corrupted textures, whether in the menu or on the walls.
So after discovering that the game is very unstable with its textures on my borked system I went back into the main menu. The font was also corrupted beyond recognition (at least I didn't have to delete the system fonts for this experience) and I had to guess where the "exit game" option was.

Edited by Delay
I just saw that I misspelled the game's name. I feel obliged to correct it.

8 minutes ago, Delay said:

So I got Potal 2 yesterday. And once it was done downloading after 5 hours or so I decided to start the game.
Keep in mind that my graphics card is... kinda broken. The driver actually crashes up to >7 times a day, which is a complaint in an of itself.

Anyways; the game does work (at least it did on the second attempt), but not without its fair share of hilariously broken and corrupted textures, whether in the menu or on the walls.
So after discovering that the game is very unstable with its textures on my borked system I went back into the main menu. The font was also corrupted beyond recognition (at least I didn't have to delete the system fonts for this experience) and I had to guess where the "exit game" option was.

Portal 2 is pretty light in graphics requirements.  You could probably yank your GPU and use the onboard graphics with it just fine.

You could also hit up local buy/sell groups for computer parts and get a decent used GPU.  I've gotten some awesome deals on mine. (i3 laptop for $20 that Windows 10 was complaining about a perfectly fine battery, 2 1GB GTX-550 Tis for $25 each).

I broke my headphones.  I thought one of the reviews on how frail they were was BS, and they were just too rough with them.  I wasn't rough... and they broke anyway.  Right at the band adjuster.  They still work, so tomorrow I'm going to assault it with some superglue, then design and print some braces to lock it in at my adjustment.  It doesn't need to move anymore, after all.

Also this insomnia is driving me nuts.  I just bought two laptops on NewEgg that are probably too good to be true, but figured, why not?  If it does end up to be bupkiss, NewEgg will get me my money back.

Edited by Geonovast

I passed 6 hours in a row in a math-lab. First, I'm not a math fan. Second, all the screens here are terribly large, and their resolution is locked. It's absolutely awful to look at! So much blur that it is always giving me a headache after some hours.

Then, I left the place as it was closing, took my car, and it happen... There is an exit with a right turn, but every single time I can expect to have pedestrians and cyclists crossing. I don't know what happened to me, maybe it was due to the tiredness, or the somewhat brainwash from the last hours, but I turned on the right at the green, and at the time I passed over the crosswalk I saw two cyclists on my left and one on my right...  I didn't had the time to react, but hopefully they were aware and stopped before being hit.  I'm so confused and ashamed right now, as I made a stupid error like the ones I daily criticize, and I could have injured some :(

I should have stopped by somewhere, taken a rest, or just rested before driving...

I've NEVER had issues with the time I came in at work. They were always incredibly flexible... Till I recently put my foot down and said I needed to leave earlier to get to my other job. I've mentioned many times that I work part time, and they've left my department understaffed for a whole year, and that I'm stuck doing full time hours (or more) on most days... I told them the hours were interfering with my other job, which pays not quite, but very nearly double what they pay (and I told them that), and that I was not going to prioritize the lower paying job, and would be leaving earlier, in accordance with the part time nature of my position, so that I would be able to perform my other job without falling behind in either production or sleep (examples such as an 18 hour day or a 74 hour week are NOT reasonable). So what do they do? A week later, they tell me out of the blue that they're shifting my shift an hour earlier, and now they're suddenly not nearly as flexible with my start time as they had been before... No now instead of my "part time" hours being 8+... Now my leaving 2 hours earlier has left me still stuck working a typically 7 hour shift, but now I'm losing an hour of sleep in the morning... I've been dead on my feet... With the other job, I tend to be stuck working late... Sometimes into the am hours... So now with the changed mornings... Yeah... I'm just nothing but fatigue all day.

The good news, is it sounds like we may have finally gotten that desperately needed third crew member... Or rather, they'll hire "sometime in the fall" Quite frankly, if they just replaced me, I wouldn't even care, but hopefully I can cut back down to REASONABLE part time hours, and make the real MEAT of my income at the other job. I WILL be demanding of them that I be returned to my former shifts, from back when I first started... I'll take a cut to my pay checks, but so be it. I want as FEW hours at the lab, and as MANY hours at the machine shop as I can make happen. I'm sick of that place!

I'm just so fed up though... They KNOW they have me by the drogue chutes... :/
Their health insurance is a joke. By being part time, I DON'T qualify for the employer insurance, and thus qualify to buy into the state provided health insurance... and the price is actually DECENT... two digit monthly premium, very low copays for visits... I can handle it... my rent is also income adjusted... They know if I were to just quit, I'd probably lose all my qualifications (voluntary reduction of hours). They know they can push me to do whatever they want, and I have to just shut up and take it, to stay on the good health plan... I can't tell if they're doing it knowingly (that's evil boss level right there), or if they're that utterly oblivious to how badly it's burning me out, and killing my time to sleep.

I've always been a 'loyal employee"... The type to stick with a company for years. I value a stable, reliable job over hunting for the next raise or whatever. In 2 years, they shifted me from fiercely loyal and happy to work there, to actively hating being there, and on a few instances, leaving work, still in my work clothes, and going to direct competitors and asking for applications... I've done that twice... Didn't get in, but oh well. It still FELT good... :cool:

Edited by richfiles

8 hours ago, richfiles said:

I've NEVER had issues with the time I came in at work. They were always incredibly flexible... Till I recently put my foot down and said I needed to leave earlier to get to my other job. I've mentioned many times that I work part time, and they've left my department understaffed for a whole year, and that I'm stuck doing full time hours (or more) on most days... I told them the hours were interfering with my other job, which pays not quite, but very nearly double what they pay (and I told them that), and that I was not going to prioritize the lower paying job, and would be leaving earlier, in accordance with the part time nature of my position, so that I would be able to perform my other job without falling behind in either production or sleep (examples such as an 18 hour day or a 74 hour week are NOT reasonable). So what do they do? A week later, they tell me out of the blue that they're shifting my shift an hour earlier, and now they're suddenly not nearly as flexible with my start time as they had been before... No now instead of my "part time" hours being 8+... Now my leaving 2 hours earlier has left me still stuck working a typically 7 hour shift, but now I'm losing an hour of sleep in the morning... I've been dead on my feet... With the other job, I tend to be stuck working late... Sometimes into the am hours... So now with the changed mornings... Yeah... I'm just nothing but fatigue all day.

The good news, is it sounds like we may have finally gotten that desperately needed third crew member... Or rather, they'll hire "sometime in the fall" Quite frankly, if they just replaced me, I wouldn't even care, but hopefully I can cut back down to REASONABLE part time hours, and make the real MEAT of my income at the other job. I WILL be demanding of them that I be returned to my former shifts, from back when I first started... I'll take a cut to my pay checks, but so be it. I want as FEW hours at the lab, and as MANY hours at the machine shop as I can make happen. I'm sick of that place!

I'm just so fed up though... They KNOW they have me by the drogue chutes... :/
Their health insurance is a joke. By being part time, I DON'T qualify for the employer insurance, and thus qualify to buy into the state provided health insurance... and the price is actually DECENT... two digit monthly premium, very low copays for visits... I can handle it... my rent is also income adjusted... They know if I were to just quit, I'd probably lose all my qualifications (voluntary reduction of hours). They know they can push me to do whatever they want, and I have to just shut up and take it, to stay on the good health plan... I can't tell if they're doing it knowingly (that's evil boss level right there), or if they're that utterly oblivious to how badly it's burning me out, and killing my time to sleep.

I've always been a 'loyal employee"... The type to stick with a company for years. I value a stable, reliable job over hunting for the next raise or whatever. In 2 years, they shifted me from fiercely loyal and happy to work there, to actively hating being there, and on a few instances, leaving work, still in my work clothes, and going to direct competitors and asking for applications... I've done that twice... Didn't get in, but oh well. It still FELT good... :cool:

I'm probably not the first one to say this, but, you need to find another job. The economy is running on all cylinders right now, it's the perfect time to be mobile. If there's nothing in your local area, pick another city and go. You would be amazed how liberating it is.

Actually, to make it real, if you have machine shop skills and you want to look at Phoenix, PM me, I can put you in touch with people.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:09 PM, razark said:

the world is a hard, cold, uncaring place, and that you will never be happy anyway, so complaining about it is just screaming into the void?

*GASP* The essence of this thread, described in succinct manner!!!

It's okay for children to complain. While we look back and see childhood as a fun time to be, and wish we could relive those days, we don't really see it from the "child's" POV. For him/her, failing the next test is the single greatest disaster, and getting a smile from the classmate he/she has a crush on would be the highlight of the week! The point is, life sucks, no matter what age you are.

So @The_Cat_In_Space , @Kernel Kraken and all those fed up of school, I have this to tell you. Clench your teeth, plant your feet firmly to the ground, and....

(Sorry for stealing your post @Delay, but the song is just too good :D)

50 minutes ago, Sorabh said:

The point is, life sucks, no matter what age you are.

Clench your teeth, plant your feet firmly to the ground, and....

Honestly, I'm going through one of life's greatest crapholes right now.  No matter how bad things seem, I still know that there's going to be a bright side on the other side, even if things look dark as hell right now.  My school years would be a breeze compared to this.  I wish that I knew then what I know now...

(Of course, there are darker times ahead for me, when this will look like a milk run in comparison.1)

1Pessimism: The belief that no matter how bad things are now, it will always get worse.  And you'll rarely be surprised.

Bleh.  Too much bourbon tonight.

35 minutes ago, razark said:

Bleh.  Too much bourbon tonight.

I feel you, even though I don't consume alcohol... While I won't call my life right now a craphole, it certainly is difficult. In a society(atleast where I live), where the general notion is that "Higher studies should be done ONLY if you are unemployed, so that it looks good on the CV when you sit in future interviews. And you are unemployed because you are not good enough" my standing as a Post Graduate student is a little bit 'meh'. Taunts from elders, jibes from the more successful younger ones in the extended family, its the norm.

There are a lot of software consultancy firms where I am from. And they mass recruit graduates and post graduates. I am often pressurized to get into one of these. Now, I know, C, UNIX, PERL, stuff like that is easy to learn and implement, but think of it.. Should I spend 4 years of Bachelors, and 2 years of Masters in Mechanical Engineering just to become a software engineer?  All the skills that I learned , from ANSYS to SolidWorks to MatLab to my current research.... should I just unlearn every concept that I have learned just so I could 'get a job'?

No SIR!/MA'AM! No matter how many times I have to bite the dust, or how much I am ridiculed or dismissed, I was, I am and I will remain a Mechanical Engineer!!! No matter what.

Because once it's all over, once I grow old and crippled and I am about to breathe my last, I want to sing this song:

(Hoo boy! That felt good!)

And now this...

Windows 10 just dropped a @#$&!! update...

And decided that it needed to reboot immediately (after telling me it had to reboot half an hour ago - and I did reboot then) after installing yet another update. This time, one of those Cortana boxes popped up, told me an update required a restart - and right in the middle of running a correlation in SPSS, the system rebooted.

HQHaZIC.png?1